• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious PAP Kay Loong Court more than 50% discont God's Con Man Kong Hee Sentence, CB!

kangaroo.corpse

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP should burn this bastard inside a dog cage like ISIS.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...-s-sentence-reduced-to-3-5-years/3659450.html

City Harvest appeal: Kong Hee's sentence reduced to 3.5 years

By Vanessa Paige Chelvan Posted 07 Apr 2017 09:59 Updated 07 Apr 2017 11:15

City Harvest Church founder Kong Hee leaving court on Apr 7, 2017. (Photo: Howard Law)

Enlarge
Caption

549 Email More

A A

SINGAPORE: City Harvest Church founder and senior pastor Kong Hee has had his prison sentence reduced to three years and six months from eight years, while the other five leaders also had their sentences reduced.

The six were in court on Friday (Apr 7) to hear the outcome of their appeal against both their conviction and sentences after being found guilty in October 2015 of misappropriating about S$50 million of church funds.

Former fund manager Chew Eng Han had his six-year sentence lowered to three years and four months, while deputy pastor Tan Ye Peng had his original five-and-a-half-year sentence cut to three years and two months.

Former finance manager Serina Wee Gek Yin's original five-year sentence was halved to two years and six months, and former finance committee member John Lam Leng Hung's three-year sentence was similarly halved to one year and six months.

Former finance manager Sharon Tan Shao Yuen had her 21-month jail sentence reduced to seven months.

Friday's hearing was the culmination of a five-day appeal heard in September last year by a three-judge panel, including Judge of Appeal Chao Hick Tin and Justices Woo Bih Li and Chan Seng Onn.

After the revised sentences were announced, Kong, Lam, Chew, Wee and Tan Ye Peng all asked for their sentences to start after two weeks, and the court agreed.

Sharon Tan asked to defer the start of her sentence by two months, as her family is relocating overseas in June and she said she wants to help her children adjust to the move. The court agreed to this, too.

COURT REDUCES CRIMINAL BREACH OF TRUST CHARGES

Justice Chao said in his oral judgement on Friday that a majority decision was made to reduce the respective criminal breach of trust (CBT) charges against the six, from an aggravated form of CBT - which they were initially convicted of - to a "simple" form of CBT.

Justice Chao said he and Justice Woo thought the prosecution had not satisfied the requirements to prove the aggravated form of CBT, which the law states the person must be a public servant, banker, merchant, factor, broker, attorney or an agent, when committing the crime.

"While a director undoubtedly holds an important position in a company or organisation, it cannot be said that a person by becoming a director has offered his services as an agent to the community at large or that he makes his living as an agent," the judge said.

UNPRECEDENTED CASE

The City Harvest case is unprecedented. The S$50 million taken from the mega-church’s coffers is the largest amount of charity funds ever misappropriated in Singapore.

The money was used to bankroll the secular music career of the pastor’s wife Sun Ho, without the knowledge of the congregation which is made up of tens of thousands of worshippers who had donated the millions of dollars to the church.

The case is unprecedented also because the millions were “replaced” through a series of sham investments and shady transactions, and the church ultimately suffered no financial loss.

“If this is the largest amount going out the door, it is also unprecedented in that it is the largest amount coming back,” Kong's lawyer Jason Chan had said.

Still, the actions of Kong and the five co-accused were criminal - they effectively took City Harvest Church’s funds into their own hands to use as they pleased, despite them being plainly not authorised to do so, a judge had said.

Although the congregation largely supported Ho’s secular music career - through the church's Crossover Project which aimed to use her music to evangelise - they had no idea that they were footing the bill.

A total of S$24 million of church funds diverted into sham investments was used to bankroll Ms Ho’s budding career and extravagant lifestyle. Another S$26 million of church funds was used to cover up the first amount to fool auditors and to conceal the fact that money from the church’s building fund - a restricted fund set aside for building-related expenses - had been used for an unauthorised purpose.

- CNA/db

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
City Harvest Church Appeal: Kong Hee is "disappointed" with outcome

Lawyer Edwin Tong said Kong Hee is "disappointed" with the outcome. "He has told me that he is disappointed with the outcome in terms of the conviction not being overturned." But he appreciates that the judges said they were acting in the interest of the church.

Serina Wee's husband, Kenny Low, said he has mixed feelings. "It is just a number. It is still time lost and the opportunity to be with your loved ones taken away. I don't know what to say at this moment. I just want to talk to my wife." He said they will be spending time together as a family.

Sharon Tan's lawyer Paul Seah said: "We are disappointed that there is no acquittal, but we recognise that the sentence was reduced. Now it will be time for Sharon to pray and spend time with family."

Chew Eng Han said: "I am disappointed and will most likely make another appeal. I will seek legal recourse."

Tan Ye Peng said: "I am grateful to the courts for the fair assessment and regret the turmoil the church has gone through." He also added: "It has been a long trial, I'd like to serve the sentence and move on."

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
kong-hee-the-rancher.jpg

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
City Harvest Church appeal: Jail sentences reduced for all 6 accused; Kong Hee to start jail term in 2 weeks

They have all requested for deferment before serving their jail terms. http://str.sg/4Xi9

Kong Hee's jail term reduced to 3 years 6 months, from 8 years

Chew Eng Han, 56, former CHC fund manager, gets 3 years 4 months, instead of six years

Tan Ye Peng, 44 , deputy senior pastor, gets 3 years 2 months, instead of 5½ years

Serina Wee, 40, former CHC finance manager, gets 2 years 6 months, instead of 5 years

John Lam, 49, former CHC finance committee member, gets 1 year 6 months, instead of 3 years

Sharon Tan, 41, former CHC finance manager, gets 7 months, instead of 21 months

On Kong Hee, the judges agreed that his overall culpability is the greatest and he provided the overall direction and moral assurance. He also instilled the confidence in the crossover and his wife Sun Ho's success in the US. He was one of the main players if not the main player who set the direction in the sham charges, said the judges. His role as the spiritual leader and the breach of trust should be reflected in his sentence.

SunHo

Alfrescian
Loyal
$50 million stolen = 42 months jail

With good behavior, in 28 months, Kong Hee will be out a free man.

Not bad, $1.785m per month of jail. Thats worth every single penny stolen from CHC congregation of donations.

I guess con scam business is the way to go in Sinkapore..

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
$50 million stolen = 42 months jail

With good behavior, in 28 months, Kong Hee will be out a free man.

Not bad, $1.785m per month of jail. Thats worth every single penny stolen from CHC congregation of donations.

I guess con scam business is the way to go in Sinkapore..

Earlier than that if with tagging. And he can go back to work in the church during that time.
Haha Huat again very soon

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frm the very Top to the bottom, money no enough. Why grumble, in Spore if ur capable just do it. Tos wit the law behind em do it, u too can do it but dont get caught.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What they mean by the misapporpriated millions were replaced by a series of sham investments and transaction s?Did the Vatican pope donate millions to Kong hee church?Is this another 1mbd saga?

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I will be looking after my beloved Sun during her husband's absence.

I hope I do not disappoint her in any way.

petebike

Alfrescian
Loyal
Praise the mighty good Lord.... Hallelujah
my brother kong has his sentence reduced from 8 years to 3 years 6 months. Hallelujah

kjv-bible-verse-on-gods-faithfulness.jpg

City Harvest Church appeal: Jail sentences reduced for all 6 accused; Kong Hee to start jail term in 2 weeks

They have all requested for deferment before serving their jail terms. http://str.sg/4Xi9

Kong Hee's jail term reduced to 3 years 6 months, from 8 years

Chew Eng Han, 56, former CHC fund manager, gets 3 years 4 months, instead of six years

Tan Ye Peng, 44 , deputy senior pastor, gets 3 years 2 months, instead of 5½ years

Serina Wee, 40, former CHC finance manager, gets 2 years 6 months, instead of 5 years

John Lam, 49, former CHC finance committee member, gets 1 year 6 months, instead of 3 years

Sharon Tan, 41, former CHC finance manager, gets 7 months, instead of 21 months

On Kong Hee, the judges agreed that his overall culpability is the greatest and he provided the overall direction and moral assurance. He also instilled the confidence in the crossover and his wife Sun Ho's success in the US. He was one of the main players if not the main player who set the direction in the sham charges, said the judges. His role as the spiritual leader and the breach of trust should be reflected in his sentence.