• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Tissue paper choping terrorist from Singapore: they are bullies, no?

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tissue paper choping terrorist from Singapore: they are bullies, no?
- Inefficient use of table space becos the table is occupied by tissue paper pack whilst owner is in queue.
- Maybe hawlker food prices can fall if efficiency e.g. like in MRT trains were introduced: most tables would be standing type tables whereby one would either stand and eat or if short of space, even hold one's own plate and eat like @ buffet (no table at all/ small table is only to park a drink while one consumes meal etc). Only half or fewer tables would be for sitting, no choping would be allowed and seniors get priority.
- People who want to chit chat should only do so during off peak periods when those who need a seat have already found one / adjourn to a nearby park etc.
- If left unchecked, this bad habit of choping can evolve into a status war when people place symbols of status to stake their 'territory': e.g. car keys, headphone with camera on, policeman's handcuffs, expensive handbags etc: which can give rise to conflict if at all effective at 'reserving' seats.

Singaporeans ought to work together and maximise our resources by not occupying the table for longer than necessary (don't chit chat, don't use table as display of name card with important titles / umbrella storage facility etc) and stop 'reserving' public property like animals do in the wild where might is right.
Animal doin scent marking:
male-cheetah-scent-marking-territory-b5we48.jpg
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/cheetah-scent-marking.html
==========
Singapore's food centre chope culture: Is it practical or plain rude?
ST_20170402_MLCHOPE022496_3048145.jpg

Above, from left: Diners chope seats with items like umbrellas, work passes and water bottles. These pictures were taken at the food centre at Our Tampines Hub which, ironically, has introduced a set of "house rules" on seat-choping.
Diners chope seats with items like umbrellas (above), work passes and water bottles. These pictures were taken at the food centre at Our Tampines Hub which, ironically, has introduced a set of "house rules" on seat-choping.ST PHOTOS: CHEW SENG KIM
PUBLISHEDAPR 2, 2017, 5:00 AM SGT
Practical or plain rude? Singapore's food centre chope culture baffles tourists and divides the nation
Melissa Lin
It is 1pm at Maxwell Food Centreand the popular hawker centre is bustling with a lunchtime crowd.

A Hong Kong tourist, Ms Abbie Lam, 24, with her three-year-old niece in tow, approaches a table where a man in office attire sits, surrounded by five unoccupied seats.

Perspiring after hunting for seats for the past 10 minutes, Ms Lam is about to sit down when the man tells her all the seats are taken. He gesticulates to their "occupants" - one name card on each seat.

The puzzled tourist walks away.
"In Hong Kong, this doesn't happen," Ms Lam, a market research assistant on her second holiday here, told The Sunday Times later. "If someone wants to sit, we'll move our things away for them. This is the first time this has happened to me, so I found it strange."

Singaporeans have a habit of reserving seats in food centres - which have free seating - by putting items such as name cards, tissue packets, umbrellas, staff passes or plastic bags on them.

Depending on who you ask, this idiosyncratic practice of "choping" seats is either a practical life hack or an ungracious act.

After the Government announced last month that a $90-million fund will be set up to boost the hawker trade, a number of ST readers wrote in, asking for something to be done about the "choping" of seats at hawker centres.

The practice, they said, has led to quarrels and created scenarios where elderly patrons carrying trays of food are deprived of a seat.

Others argued that tourists who have been brushed away by locals defending their reserved seats come away with a tarnished image of Singaporeans, although the Singapore Tourism Board said it has not received any feedback about this.

One letter-writer, Ms Davi Beschizza, recounted an argument she had with a man who used tissue paper to reserve a table for six, while he and his companions ordered food at the hawker centre.

When Ms Beschizza, who was looking for a seat while carrying a tray with a bowl of hot soup, told him it was unfair of him to reserve seats, he retorted that "it is Singapore-style" and argued with her, using expletives, she claimed.

"There are no positives to this habit of reserving tables," she said.

Another letter-writer, Mr Ronald Lee suggested that signs be put up in hawker centres stating that reserving seats is not allowed.

He told The Sunday Times he had been turned away by people reserving seats. He noticed that these seats were still unoccupied when he had finished eating.

Mr Lee, 77, a retiree, said: "What gives people the privilege to reserve seats? I call them bullies."

He said that if he is seated while waiting for his companion to buy food, he would give up the other seat to diners who ask for it.

On the flip side, others argue that "choping" seats is practical. "We want to ensure we have seats. Otherwise, our food will turn cold while we look for seats," said a human resource manager, 34, who only wanted to be known as Sharon. She and four friends had used tissue packets to reserve seats at People's Park Food Centre last week.

SEAT-RESERVATION BULLIES
What gives people the privilege to reserve seats? I call them bullies.
MR RONALD LEE, a 77-year-old retiree.

RESERVE OR NOWHERE TO SIT
If I don't, I'll end up carrying my food and going around looking for a seat.
MS ANGELINE LAU, who uses a tissue paper packet to chope a seat when dining alone
Finance assistant manager Angeline Lau, 50, who uses a tissue packet to chope a seat when she is dining alone, said: "If I don't, I'll end up carrying my food and going around looking for a seat."

Others said there are some situations that warrant the reserving of seats, such as seniors waiting for their children who are buying food for them or young children waiting for their parents.

So, to chope or not to chope?
Dr William Wan, who sits on the Hawker Centre 3.0 Committee convened by the Government to help rejuvenate Singapore's hawker scene, called on diners to give priority to those with food in hand.

"While there is nothing to stop people from sitting at tables waiting for their food to come, they should, in the spirit of give-and-take and empathy, offer their seats to those with food in hand," said Dr Wan, who is also general secretary of the Singapore Kindness Movement.

The National Environment Agency (NEA) said there are no restrictions on reserving seats in hawker centres. "However, patrons should always exercise consideration for others when dining at the hawker centres and sharing the facilities," said an NEA spokesman.

At least one hawker centre, at Our Tampines Hub, has introduced a set of house rules, including "Don't chope seats" and "Share your table", which are featured in its wall art mural as a visual reminder to patrons.

"We will extend the same messages in our other hawker centres where possible," added the NEA spokesman.

Ms Lau said unknowing tourists have sat on the seat she had reserved. "I just leave the tissue packet with them and look for another seat. Why quarrel over this?"

---------------
Reserved... even on beaches

LONDON • Reserving plum spots on the beach with towels or deck-chairs, sometimes overnight and by tourists, have raised the ire of many Europeans.

The Italians have had enough of what La Repubblica daily denounced as an "ancient and ingrained habit" and moved to discourage the practice last year.

In a scheme dubbed Operation Sea Safe, the Italian authorities decreed that any holidaymakers that leave their beach towels overnight to bag the best spot would face fines of up to €200 (S$298).

Cecina, Tuscany has actually made it a crime to leave any unattended belongings on the beach before 8.30am, but the rules appear to vary from place to place around Italy.

The authorities have also begun seizing paraphernalia used for reserving spots, including deckchairs, umbrellas, towels and even swimming suits, according to Britain's Sun daily.

The British-German "towel war" is notorious on the continent. Germany's Bild newspaper, for example, observed British tourists at a resort in Alcudia, Majorca, placing their towels on loungers to "reserve" them as early as 6am. One Briton went the extra mile by using a towel with the word "reserved" on it.

By 8.51am, all of the loungers were taken, but the holidaymakers were nowhere to be seen, Bild wrote.

Bild said that its investigations revealed that the Germans and British were the "undisputed masters" of the art of sunbed blocking.

The investigation, no doubt, surprised many British tourists who, judging by British media reports, complain often that Germans usually beat them to the best loungers by waking early.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/chope-is-that-cool

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Silly sinkies. I just gently tip the items off the table like they were never there and take my lunch. :smile:

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
like that also call bully ?
I call it play the dare to game. you dare to put I dare to sit game .
usually they will just look at you but dare not fight back as they know you dare to .
If they challenge you back then is a bully.
Mr Lee must have been bullied by pap throughout his life .

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I am surprised that there hasn't been a case where some xiao ding dong go to food court and CHOPE all the tables with tissue paper packets then charge people for using his tables. Would be interesting to see how many people pay up.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just take the tissue and go. It's not an offence as it belongs to nobody.

But from the point of view of the customer, he doesn't want to queue up, pay and carry the food around looking for a place to sit.

The solution is to employ full time waiters to take your order. Like the cleaners, the waiters can work for every stall. He just needs to carry a iPad around.

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal

One letter-writer, Ms Davi Beschizza, recounted an argument she had with a man who used tissue paper to reserve a table for six, while he and his companions ordered food at the hawker centre.

When Ms Beschizza, who was looking for a seat while carrying a tray with a bowl of hot soup, told him it was unfair of him to reserve seats, he retorted that "it is Singapore-style" and argued with her, using expletives, she claimed.

"There are no positives to this habit of reserving tables," she said.

I would tell the dalit desi that she stinky corpse BO is affecting my appetite, she can eat next to the rubbish bins or take the next fucking flight back to India. All these smelly shitskins have no idea how smelly they are...

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another letter-writer, Mr Ronald Lee suggested that signs be put up in hawker centres stating that reserving seats is not allowed.

He told The Sunday Times he had been turned away by people reserving seats. He noticed that these seats were still unoccupied when he had finished eating.

Mr Lee, 77, a retiree, said: "What gives people the privilege to reserve seats? I call them bullies."

He said that if he is seated while waiting for his companion to buy food, he would give up the other seat to diners who ask for it.

Boooooo, people don't want to sit with him and he writes in a letter to complain. :rolleyes:

Fucking old Sinkie should be shopping for a nice urn than fighting for seats at a low class hawker centre. :biggrin:

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
.(0)-(0)(sg talk) said:
I once bgt hot soup without choping first...carried the tray around the whole hawker centere and ask so many ppl still cannot get a seat. So choping is the way to go!

Just find a group who have finished their food but just chit chatting n taking up space. If u cannot tahan/ feel giddy, just tell them so. If they ignore, drip a bit of soup on table n say sorry, I think they will get the hint, if the tray topples, it is the inconsiderate table hoggers who will receive the greatest hit.

Food courts should also provide more seatless tables: useful for wheel chair users and non-wheel chair users can use to place some personal belongings(laptop bag etc) and cup drink whilst they hold their own plate and eat whilst standing.

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
stinv (@sgfuck) said:
What does service charge got to do with the reservation of a table at a restaurant. Service charge is for the serving of food and drink in a restaurant.

If you are a foreigner, please follow our practices. If you cannot follow, please do not tell us what to do. You will never go wrong. We will welcome you.

If I go to your country, I will do the same.

Reference to svc charge is just to dispute the relevance of using Marche as an example becos it is an INVALID one: restaurant vs food court are not comparable, n u don't need minister Vivian Balakrishnan to tell u that.

Yes, I am Singaporean and know that actually we are nobody ('little red dot')... We are already begging tourist to come here, n i don't want to think of us like animals: spraying scent on public property, needing to move in troupes even @ lunch time etc and guard territory like wild animals: we must be more accepting of others and give up our seats to the handicapped and just focus of eating n go so that seats can be occupied 100% of time rather than 50% of time because of tissue paper hoarding, diners leaving the table in a mess etc. For those who need to eat in large social /tribal groups, pls join the navy or else ta pau food n eat together in office pantry or else order food delivery...

People cannot find seats because most seats r occupied by tissue paper packs or sit around n chit chat whilst others wait for empty seats.

SteveBert

Reference to svc charge is just to dispute the relevance of using Marche as an example becos it is an INVALID one: restaurant vs food court are not comparable, n u don't need minister Vivian Balakrishnan to tell u that.

Yes, I am Singaporean and know that actually we are nobody ('little red dot')... We are already begging tourist to come here, n i don't want to think of us like animals: spraying scent on public property, needing to move in troupes even @ lunch time etc and guard territory like wild animals: we must be more accepting of others and give up our seats to the handicapped and just focus of eating n go so that seats can be occupied 100% of time rather than 50% of time because of tissue paper hoarding, diners leaving the table in a mess etc. For those who need to eat in large social /tribal groups, pls join the navy or else ta pau food n eat together in office pantry or else order food delivery...

People cannot find seats because most seats r occupied by tissue paper packs or sit around n chit chat whilst others wait for empty seats.

Why not just to remoove that paper packs?

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tissue paper chopping just shows that Sinkees cannot trust each other.

- Cannot trust each other to share empty seats (like Toa Payoh couple who refused to share 3 empty seats with an old man and even applied physical violence to chase him away http://mothership.sg/2017/04/young-...old-man-over-seat-at-toa-payoh-hawker-centre/ )

- Cannot think about the overall efficiency of the whole, that there would be more available seats if not so many were occupied by lifeless tissue packs and misplaced office access passes.

- Cannot trust each other to be cooperative and not take own sweet time to gossip+ eat resulting in shortage of seats, such that there is such a desperate frenzy to own the real estate of hawlker seats.

More distrust only increases the animal like behaviour of pack mentality (safety in numbers), gnarling of teeth (public use/ display of expensive, crass, status revealing tokens like office access passes, professional / C-suite name cards) and scent marking (indiscriminate 'abandonment' of personal items around to warn competitors off).

All this mistrust is increasing social tensions and making Singaporeans suspicious of each other and only breeds more ill will amongst citizens, not to mention further animosity, illness and stress...

From this issue (/tissue), we can see that Singaporeans are a kiasu, self-serving, mistrusting and disunited lot.

Herd mentality :
385483965-zebra-herd-mimesis-biology-black-and-white-color-water-place.jpg
sauce: http://footage.framepool.com/en/sho...imesis-biology-black-and-white-color-drinking

Gnarling teeth:
23418566-snarling-lioness-with-long-canine-teeth-in-the-african-bush.jpg
sauce : https://www.123rf.com/photo_2341856...th-long-canine-teeth-in-the-african-bush.html

Animal doin scent marking:
male-cheetah-scent-marking-territory-b5we48.jpg
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/cheetah-scent-marking.html

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
What talking u? Proven that culprits are uncultured Malaysians no? Trying to shift the blame to sinkies again? Typical. :rolleyes:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The person who chope expects others to play he game and recognise the chope.
If enough people ignore the chope, the chope-er also lppl.
Its sinkies who like to conform thus you have this dumbfuck chope culture.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Easy way to deal with this, since stinkerporeans like to. pay PREMIUM...paste HUGE STICKERS on a few tables, MARKED PREMIUM DINING, from 11.30 am - 2.30pm, 5.30pm - 8pm, employ table valets, to assign seats with numbers, & person pay $1 for the reserved seat & go buy food etc... meanwhile, the table valets will 'guard' the tables...those who didn't pay for the seats & assigned a number...go find the free seating ones in the food centre.

PREMIUM CHOPS SEATS & TABLES ONLY FOR THE DESIGNATED TIME....any other time....it is free seating....free seating means no CHOPE by tissues, umbrellas , etc...any person caught 'choping' will be fine, 1st offence $50..subsequent offences $200...maximum CWO of 1 week, to become table valets..

PREMIUM SEATING..pleas pay.