• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Former Lion: "Football Civil Serpents Paid Better Than Most Footballers!"

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
kadir-yahaya-pic-1.jpg

SINGAPORE: No matter who wins the upcoming Football Association of Singapore (FAS) elections on Apr 29, they will face the difficult task of improving the state of local football, according to Kadir Yahaya, the former coach of Singapore’s bronze medal-winning Youth Olympic Games team.

Speaking to Channel NewsAsia, the 1994 Malaysia Cup winner highlighted a number of issues that currently plague Singapore football, and which the incoming FAS president will have to address in order to revive the local scene.

The former national right-back believes the starting point has to be the welfare of professional players. “What makes a league successful is the players, and what causes its downfall is players as well. If you have good players, fans will pay to come down and watch games.”

He added: “But here in Singapore, you have players that are driving with Uber to supplement their income, some are doing other jobs on the side and so on. So who is taking care of these players? Who is helping them? There are players who got their contracts terminated and no one is representing them. There is also no independent body to help them in contractual disputes.

“Job security is important in my opinion. How can you justify professional players getting just one-year contracts, when FAS staff are getting secure contracts and are paid even more than the players themselves? That I cannot accept.

“If you don’t protect the players, they’ll eventually say: ‘I don’t want to play football … I cannot take football as a career.’”

PLAYERS NEED MORE SUPPORT

Kadir’s comments come in the wake of a Channel NewsAsia report which highlighted that most S.League players are on salaries of less than S$3,000 a month and face uncertainty about having their contracts renewed.

A further issue mentioned by players Channel NewsAsia spoke to is that bonuses have diminished in recent years, which has had a significant impact on their income. Without incentives and bonuses to recognise the efforts of long-serving players, it is hard for them to motivate themselves to do well.

“For the national team players, once they’ve served the country for 10 years, what do they get? What then can a national player who plays in the S.League look forward to when they retire? There’s nothing for them,” said Kadir, who believes that more should be done to reward their efforts.

“There needs to be something to recognise their contributions, such as a testimonial match for them, an amount of money set aside for them as a bonus, even a job offer to work in FAS - youth development for instance - once they retire from their playing careers."

Senior players, too, need financial advice and guidance on preparing for when their playing careers are over, he added.

SQUANDERED YOUTH TALENT

As part of player development, career mentorship is especially important at youth level - another area Kadir was keen to point out.

“Young players have a lot of problems now, because the youth of this generation are different. The current crop are more exposed to social life, they want to smoke and enjoy themselves. Their mentality now is different,” said the Saint Joseph’s Institution football coach.

“At their age, they should be focusing on improving their game but it’s very difficult. They’ve got social pressure, peer pressure, academic pressure and even pressure from their own coaches. Helping these boys cope is a very important issue to solve.”

To that end, man-management is something the FAS will have to focus on. “Youth coaches these days must be more holistic, be more of a mentor and become that fatherly figure of guidance,” said Kadir. “They should get to know more about the young players, get to know their school results, and even engage more with their parents and school teachers. After training, coaches can’t simply think: 'Oh, I’m just a coach' and everything else is not their problem. That shouldn’t be the way.”

Looking back on some of his former charges, the 49-year-old believes that more could have been done by the FAS to nurture their abilities. “It is a sad moment for me when I read about how some of (the YOG batch) are doing right now. They really had good potential.”

225504_10150241052818255_1950522_n.jpg

The 2010 YOG bronze-winning team. (Photo: FAS Facebook page)

Some of his YOG-bronze winning players could have fulfilled their initial promise, had they been consistently counselled in their formative years. “It is sad when I read about young players who have quit the game, like Jeffrey (Lightfoot) who used to be a very good defender,” he said.

He also named another player who could have gone far, had he not fallen foul of the law. “You also have Hanafi Akbar, who was the most talented player of the lot. I’ve never seen a youngster like him who was very skilled, but again, there was no guidance for him.”

“I can tell you, had he been on the right track, he could’ve become one of the star players for Singapore," said Kadir of the young playmaker, who was arrested in 2015 for drug offences. "I hope he (Hanafi) can someday get back to football, which I still think is his first love. If he keeps his focus, I’m sure he will do well, if he chooses to come back.”

PUBLIC DEBATE ON FAS ELECTIONS

On the upcoming elections, Kadir said: “It’s good that there is the elections coming up for the FAS presidency. Each candidate has his own plans to improve football."

"But why don’t we have a live debate where each of them lays out their manifestos and policies to improve the local game?” suggested Kadir, who thinks that such transparency would benefit the local game. “It can be where stakeholders can gather - be it players, fans and even the general public – and question the candidates on their plans to help Singapore football.

“The candidates cannot be hiding or simply fight it out in the papers. They have to realise it’s not just about them and they’d have to lay it out on the table. Livelihoods are affected here, as professional players sacrifice their futures just to play the game for a living. These players are people like you and me too, who’s trying to make ends meet, with families, children and mouths to feed.”

He added: “I hope that these candidates can come out in an open and public forum where they can be held accountable for their policies that they’d be hoping to carry out. That way, those who are voting can make an informed choice.”

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...al-game-will-improve-former-lion/3628840.html

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bet ur last dollar the next to warm the seat will be Gahman serpant or PAP crony. Dont waste time, firstly u dont hbe the crowd of the 60s, 70s to 2000s, with all the Foreign Shit, PR and Shittyzenship u tink they wud waste their time being patriotic to the Sinkie National team?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Majority of Singapore National Team is made up of Malay players. Malays are not the majority race in Singapore. Hence the selection pool for the national team is from the minority group.

There are good footballers in Singapore who are ethnic Chinese but they have good careers and do not wish to play football professionally.

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its been ages since our team players majority are Malays, back in the 60s and 70s to 2000s most of the players are Malays yet theJln Besar and Kallang was pack with fans supporting the National Team.

Bad New Brown

Alfrescian
Loyal
Semi-Pro Football is more suitable for us.

People can earn a full time salaries working as a Engineer or a Technician and play part time football in the evening or weekends. So the clubs has no burden paying low but professional salaries.

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dont mean to be racist, but it is all about work/play balances.

Look at qks,ltj,lts,lkf...all fm premier schools w career.

CABcommander

Alfrescian
Loyal
He also named another player who could have gone far, had he not fallen foul of the law. “You also have Hanafi Akbar, who was the most talented player of the lot. I’ve never seen a youngster like him who was very skilled, but again, there was no guidance for him.”

Talking cock again. Blaming external party for 'lack of guidance'. Ownself want to take drugs blame your own fucking self. Typical trait of malay to blame others for their own fault.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nobody is interested in the s-league. the clubs have little matchday nor commercial revenues. they found it hard to survive already, of course can't give the players longer contracts or higher salaries.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Look the Head of FASS is a scholar and a uni grad what u expect?If we start paying soccer players a decent salary,every Tom dick and Harry mat yoyo is going to start queuing up to join S league and become soccer players.

The problem is not why the CEO of Singapore football association paid so much,the problem is why soccer attract all the losers and useless people?Look at Randi Ahmad,if soccer did not make him rich "for a mat's standard" I can guarantee u he be at a petrol station today cleaning car windshields.

Why can't mat's be more like chinks?Look at Jeremy Lin,even if his NBA career were to flop he still had a Harvard math degree and still can fulfill his parents wishes of becoming doctor.