• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat So i just bought a condo

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
How old are you now? Have you taken the trouble to look at what's going on around you in the HDB heartlands of Spore?
The PAP gov't is sponsoring IT upgrade courses for the old. For example they are offering courses on how to use a smartphone:eek:
They also have MS Word courses:biggrin:

Many uncles & aunties of Spore are not IT literate. As you get older you will lose touch with the technology. Older citizens also become less flexible & may have problems adjusting to newer technologies. I'm getting getting old myself & can relate to this. You are probably too young to appreciate this but when you get older you will probably face the same problems. As a matter of I haven't worked for 15+ years.

You were from the IT line, so it shouldn't be a problem for you to pick up on software utilization. I'm not asking you to write software & Apps, or into programming. Those are different categories altogether and I would agree that they'll be stressful as one gets older. Just using those free and commercially available ones should never be difficult to pick up and in fact beneficial. And with GOOGLE, a lot of things can be found and learned with just a few keystrokes on the keyboard. Another thing is you have fear with new technologies. For example, you still have no confidence into full scale Internet Banking transactions. Nowadays with 2FA authentication, every payment I need to make has been very much easier with Internet Banking and Internet transfers, not to mention effecting from overseas as well. I was wishing that they could have unlimited funds transfer instead of just S$50k per day, which sometimes can be too troublesome for me.

Your problem could also be having not worked for over 15 years, you may have lagged and not keeping yourself up to date. I also find you to be too conservative in everything you do. For you, it must have to be proven fully workable before you would even dare to take a dip with your toes. At the end of the day, your progress is going to be restricted only by your own fear.

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm looking at renting 1st before committing to buying a property. The reason I'm in no hurry to buy is because I have enough $$.

I'm a realist & it won't be long until I have to consider moving to some retirement village :(

Then you can only buy resale and not brand new houses off the plan. On hindsight that's a better move indeed in a shitty place with lots of shitty neighbours to observe first before committing to purchase property.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
By the time, u decided where to settle down, it is time to choose a coffin for yourself. Nobody is taking you seriously for all the crap on moving out..

This forum is for crackpot to spend their remaining days here living in their own imagery world.

What's wrong to think carefully before deciding where to move? Better be safe than sorry like me.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP lowlife.. Why not just make a holy statement of saying "Stay In Sinkieland and don't migrate..".

You and the rest of the pap clones talk so much crap here.. This is how PAP waste taxpayers money on such crackpot here.

Hey how come I become pap lowlife just becos I tell the truth of my mudlander dog neighbours? Are you a mudlander dog like cottonmouth?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Your problem could also be having not worked for over 15 years, you may have lagged and not keeping yourself up to date. ....

Don't you have older parents or grand parent ? Do you ever take the time to observe how they behave?

While I'm waiting in queues I take the time to observe my surroundings & noticed little things. The people who are using the AXN kiosks or the ATM machines are usually those of working age. When was the last time you saw a senior citizen use one of these AXN machines?

As I mentioned my mother would go to a 7-11 to pay because there is a life person she could deal with. Probably the same reasons why a senior citizen would prefer to go to a bank rather than to deal with a ATM machine.

Unfortunately the people who are making all policy changes are doing so in a bubble. They don't take the trouble to find out how it affects the elderly.

I'm not that old yet & can still function in Spore but I have to worry about these things because I am getting older & will soon become a senior citizen. So will you. If you have $$$ you can move elsewhere & buy a car but if you are in Spore this is going to be cost prohibitive.

When one gets older you slow down. It's call aging. Old people have problems functioning in Spore & they have to use aids like canes,wheel chairs, powered carts, ... Some have eye sight problems, hearing problems, become inflexible in their thinking, the ways of doing things.... If you have $$$ you can move elsewhere & buy a car but if you are in Spore this is going to be cost prohibitive.

Even the PAP recognises this & have ramp equipped buses. They are also now installing elevators in all of the flats. However it is a case of too little & too late. The population of Spore is already greying & the PAP is not prepared to deal with it.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I also find you to be too conservative in everything you do. For you, it must have to be proven fully workable before you would even dare to take a dip with your toes. At the end of the day, your progress is going to be restricted only by your own fear.

I am a survivor. That is what has allowed me to do OK in Spore. Asset wise I am a poor multi-millionaire but If I get ill that could all change with expensive hospital bills.

I have seen many of my Spore colleagues lose money when speculating on properties. Yes some do make money but they don't know when to stop & eventually make loses.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I followed the crowd and bought a new condo in clwmenti for investment. The size is a joke (75sqm). The price is a joke (near 900k). From a happy debt-free life i must now fork out 3k month for life and hope the market don't tank. Come in and laugh at me.

Freehold, 999 or 99 years.
Is surprising how many people do not even consider the leasehold when buying property in the frenzy.
RESIDENTIAL properties with less than 60 years lease left may face difficulty in getting financing
If buyers cannot get financing means cannot sell!
So far most have ''escaped" this problem due to enbloc sale or SERS
I want to see how the fella who bought the unit in Bishan Street 13 for $1.05 million(71 years left on its 99-year lease) can sell it 10 years later.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Then you can only buy resale and not brand new houses off the plan. On hindsight that's a better move indeed in a shitty place with lots of shitty neighbours to observe first before committing to purchase property.

I'm not interested in buying property in Spore or JB.

Renting has it's advantages. One can move to a place when they have nice weather & move out when there is bad weather. You also don't have the hassle of replacing t water heaters, aircon, fridges, .... If you have poor neighbours you can easily move elsewhere :smile:

Having possessions also means that you are tied down. That is why other than my home in Spore everything else I own is in cash or equities.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't you have older parents or grand parent ? Do you ever take the time to observe how they behave?

While I'm waiting in queues I take the time to observe my surroundings & noticed little things. The people who are using the AXN kiosks or the ATM machines are usually those of working age. When was the last time you saw a senior citizen use one of these AXN machines?

As I mentioned my mother would go to a 7-11 to pay because there is a life person she could deal with. Probably the same reasons why a senior citizen would prefer to go to a bank rather than to deal with a ATM machine.
I can only say that your above examples are applicable and excusable only if the elderly is illiterate. But you can write very well and I also doubt your mobility is affecting you (at least not for now) since you've said that you have been traveling frequently to neighboring countries. The convenience of an ATM far outweighs the fixed banking hours with personal banking, if both can perform the same transaction. We both have different views and objectives in life, so there's no point to debate further. For me, I would prefer to do everything myself and not to rely on others if I still can.

Last edited:

bodycells

Alfrescian
Loyal

Unfortunately the people who are making all policy changes are doing so in a bubble. They don't take the trouble to find out how it affects the elderly.

I'm not that old yet & can still function in Spore but I have to worry about these things because I am getting older & will soon become a senior citizen. So will you. If you have $$$ you can move elsewhere & buy a car but if you are in Spore this is going to be cost prohibitive.

When one gets older you slow down. It's call aging. Old people have problems functioning in Spore & they have to use aids like canes,wheel chairs, powered carts, ... Some have eye sight problems, hearing problems, become inflexible in their thinking, the ways of doing things.... If you have $$$ you can move elsewhere & buy a car but if you are in Spore this is going to be cost prohibitive.

Even the PAP recognises this & have ramp equipped buses. They are also now installing elevators in all of the flats. However it is a case of too little & too late. The population of Spore is already greying & the PAP is not prepared to deal with it.

More excuses on NOT emigrating. i wonder why still talks about buying property overseas and find out about the people and culture of the place. In the end, give tons of excuses on why cannot go there.

a crackpot living in an imagery online forum.

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

i beg to differ slightly. being old does not mean you can't learn IT or new things to make your life easier.

if the elderly have physical ailments, all the more they should leverage on IT to help them pay bills or transfer money or purchase online items without the need of struggling to the nearest AXS/SAM station, bank or supermarket to perform the same tasks.

my mom (70+) never knew how to use a smartphone but we went ahead and bought her one and taught her how to use apps within the smartphone to make her life much more convenient.

if the elderly are not willing to learn then i would say the old adage "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" will hold true, and that is such a shame for elderly Singaporeans who are not willing to adapt.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

ur grandmother struggles with technology because she was born in a time where computers didnt exist,long long time ago in the land of dinosaurs where everything was analog and information was turtle slow and came only on radio or newspapers and people fapped to magazines.computers only existed in myths and legends in big companies and universities.personal coms didnt exist till the 80s and no one knew what the internet was until 1994 after the birth of the first Cybercafe in the world.i dont think technology will be a problem in the future with future generations especially those born in the 80s,90s and naughts where we are immersed in technology from birth.even more ubiquitous than computers are smartphones now which is everywhere even in the hands of the poorest banglas.in the future when people are old and decrepit and senile,even if they do not know the name of their loved ones or when the last time they ate,people will still be able to type 300 words per minute with their thumb and use facebook and whatsapp with maximum efficiency.so dont worry even if grandmother is stuck in the toilet bowl,she will be able to facebook u to come get her.

nowadays people cannot live without the internet,more important than their birthdays,wedding anniversaries or New year is the size of their 3g internet data package.in future technology will become more advanced yet easier to use cause of UI perfection,30 years ago people have to deal with clunks of junk like the apple 1,now smartphones are so easy to grasp and use.in future computers will be so smart thanks to machine learning,they will guess what u want to do before u even think it."hello jarvis i would like to......" "ah yes,it has already been taken care of sir" "but i havent even told you what i want" "ahhhh.....humans are so simple and predictable,my algorithms have already predicted from ur previous thought patterns to a 99.8 percent accurancy what u are thinking of at this moment.u silly old cunt,u are trying to pay ur AXS bills arent you?well i have saved u the trouble of heading down to the seven eleven to speak to a live person which is basically just another robot anyway"

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can only say that your above examples are applicable and excusable only if the elderly is illiterate. But you can write very well and I also doubt your mobility is affecting you (at least not for now) since you've said that you have been traveling frequently to neighboring countries. The convenience of an ATM far outweighs the fixed banking hours with personal banking, if both can perform the same transaction. We both have different views and objectives in life, so there's no point to debate further. For me, I would prefer to do everything myself and not to rely on others if I still can.

I'm not surprised that Spore is heading for trouble as a society because many people here cannot relate to problems that other citizens are encountering. As a society the people here have very low empathy.

When you are old & feebble, don't forget that "I told you so"

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
More excuses on NOT emigrating. i wonder why still talks about buying property overseas and find out about the people and culture of the place. In the end, give tons of excuses on why cannot go there.

a crackpot living in an imagery online forum.

Obviously my ideas on getting out of Spore does not meet your definition of emigration. No point arguing with you about this because whatever I say you you will just claim that I'm chickening out of leaving Spore :biggrin:

As they say there are more ways to skin a cat & I will eventually find my own solution that satisfies my needs.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i beg to differ slightly. being old does not mean you can't learn IT or new things to make your life easier.

if the elderly have physical ailments, all the more they should leverage on IT to help them pay bills or transfer money or purchase online items without the need of struggling to the nearest AXS/SAM station, bank or supermarket to perform the same tasks.

my mom (70+) never knew how to use a smartphone but we went ahead and bought her one and taught her how to use apps within the smartphone to make her life much more convenient.

if the elderly are not willing to learn then i would say the old adage "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" will hold true, and that is such a shame for elderly Singaporeans who are not willing to adapt.

The old are not stupid but my point is that things change here so frequently, poorly implemented & consumer are not given enough warning. Take for example the move to chipped ATM cards. I've used the AXN machines to pay utility bills but when they did the change, it required inserting the ATM card into a different slot. This caused confusion & it happened to me I simply watched how others did it & realised about the other slot.

The difference with the old is how they manage with uncertainty. Many simply avoid using those AXN machines and find alternatives such as paying at a 7-11 store.

We've had cases of people making errors in transfered/paid to a wrong account via those ATM machines. This shows how difficult the system can be. I don't often pay using this method but I had to do it once & I went to the teller to do it :o

The PAP are been pushing out lots of changes & expect Sporeans to adjust to these changes. They never consider the confusion that they are causing. I'm not that old & can cope with these all changes but what happens when I get older? Change is not always for the better but we have so many civil servants out there & they have to show that they are "working":rolleyes:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm not interested in buying property in Spore or JB.

Renting has it's advantages. One can move to a place when they have nice weather & move out when there is bad weather. You also don't have the hassle of replacing t water heaters, aircon, fridges, .... If you have poor neighbours you can easily move elsewhere :smile:

Having possessions also means that you are tied down. That is why other than my home in Spore everything else I own is in cash or equities.

Yes you are right about renting and absolutely a wise move to NOT buy property in JB. Pay and get shit in return. Just look at what happened to me as proof.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Obviously my ideas on getting out of Spore does not meet your definition of emigration. No point arguing with you about this because whatever I say you you will just claim that I'm chickening out of leaving Spore :biggrin:

As they say there are more ways to skin a cat & I will eventually find my own solution that satisfies my needs.

Actually I know of someone who migrated to Australia for decades but now that she is old in her 70s, she comes back to stay in Spore for few months in a year to escape the winter as too cold for her. So even if migrated out of spore also can come back here when old.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes you are right about renting and absolutely a wise move to NOT buy property in JB. Pay and get shit in return. Just look at what happened to me as proof.

Have you looked at selling the property & how much$ you would lose?

I know non-Malaysian who have purchased Malaysian properties as an investment & they complained of making very little after the sold off these properties. So only buy if you intend to stay there.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have you looked at selling the property & how much$ you would lose?

I know non-Malaysian who have purchased Malaysian properties as an investment & they complained of making very little after the sold off these properties. So only buy if you intend to stay there.

I don't wish to reveal my plans as you know there is alot of evil mudlander bastards harming me. Anyway I bought my property at exchange rate about 2.4 so you go figure LOL.