• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Can we use walkie talkie as Phone to save phone bills?

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Walau walkie talkie is only for short distance range lah. Unless u carry a signaller set like saf signaller.

To save bill, always call people and then hangup . Wait for people to call you back lo.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You know Sinkies are Fucked by pap when they need to find cheaper alternative ways to save on mobile bills.

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You know Sinkies are Fucked by pap when they need to find cheaper alternative ways to save on mobile bills.

No. It's you know sinkies are fucked when well-to-do ones like TS and family can throw away their faces in front of others to save by using walkie-talkies.

Not happy with paying singtel and other local providers can use overseas ones though more expensive.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Brother chootchew, your info is outdated.
nowadays, walkie talkie range is between 20mile to 50mile.
that is enough to cover the whole singapore.
http://www.toptenreviews.com/home/outdoor/best-walkie-talkies/

Once you're in a subway, on the MRT, behind a tall building etc the walkie talkie will no longer work.

Performance
All walkie talkies list a maximum effective coverage area. These range anywhere from 20 to 50 miles, but certain conditions must be met for you to reach these ranges. In actuality, your environment may shorten this range to a mile or less. Look for a walkie talkie with both FRS and GMRS frequencies. FRS frequencies are free to use but usually have shorter ranges. GMRS channels require an FCC license to access and provide longer ranges. You should also look for an emergency radio, or a walkie talkie that can access NOAA weather channels. We prefer radios that push emergency weather alerts to your unit and that have an SOS option to help you in case of an emergency.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think usage of radio frequency is controlled. A license is needed and yearly fee must be paid. So operating a walkie talkie without license is an offence

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Nowadays, walkied talkie is very cheap and voice transmission is also clear. The best thing about walkie talkie is that we dont have to pay monthly bills to singtel.

2 pairs of walkie talkie is only less than 50USD.
https://www.amazon.com/Proster-Rech...&qid=1488346346&sr=1-7&keywords=walkie+talkie

Imagine if you have a family of 4.
singapore is very small and you can connect each other via walkie talkie.
possible?

That is a great idea. I will give walkie talkie to my maid when she does her marketing. Can always ask her to get me some last minute items. As long as used for nearby, its fine, I would think. The only problem is that a lot of walkie talkies use the same channels, so if everyone starts using it, then there will be multiple conversations on the same channels.

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nowadays, walkied talkie is very cheap and voice transmission is also clear. The best thing about walkie talkie is that we dont have to pay monthly bills to singtel.

2 pairs of walkie talkie is only less than 50USD.
https://www.amazon.com/Proster-Rech...&qid=1488346346&sr=1-7&keywords=walkie+talkie

Imagine if you have a family of 4.
singapore is very small and you can connect each other via walkie talkie.
possible?

Anyone that have the same frequency channel can tap into your conversation.

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Let's humour TS for awhile.
TS must be Amish.
Nowsadays people no longer just talk on their mobile phones. Even heartland grandpas, maids and banglas use smartphones. You video call, text, Whasapp, use apps etc.
And TS say 4 walkies for his whole family.....so I guess they all live in a cave without need for friends and relatives or contact the outside world.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Let's humour TS for awhile.
TS must be Amish.
Nowsadays people no longer just talk on their mobile phones. Even heartland grandpas, maids and banglas use smartphones. You video call, text, Whasapp, use apps etc.
And TS say 4 walkies for his whole family.....so I guess they all live in a cave without need for friends and relatives or contact the outside world.

Usually a happily married middle class sinkie woman need no friends besides working colleagues. They are very happy to live their entire life for the family and kids.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Usually a happily married middle class sinkie woman need no friends besides working colleagues. They are very happy to live their entire life for the family and kids.

Ok heshe or it doesn't need friends and family?
Ok but kids still need right?
And working colleagues use what to contact? Office phone during office hours only?

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ok heshe or it doesn't need friends and family?
Ok but kids still need right?
And working colleagues use what to contact? Office phone during office hours only?
The kids still small mah.
Working colleague after work no more contact.
Perhaps BFF will get 1 foc walkie talkie.
But.. this is only applicable for non slutty middle class working wife like TS lah.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
walkie talkie is to be used with someone who agrees to carry the handset with them. (obviously) If the ppl you communicate with don't want to carry the handset well then forget it or you communicate with a bunch of ppl how are you going to use a walkie talkie?

Nowadays apps like whatsapp/line have a video and voice call function which means you don't need to use the outgoing voice mins or the sms function of the phone means that you can actually stay within your monthly phone bills without exceeding the charges. Even fb messenger has voice + video call function. For me i have a subscription service with skype so that i can call landlines or numbers that might not have WA and even extends to overseas.

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal
few things need to know.
1) walkie talkie can both be small range and short range.
2)most of them (free from subscription) will not work once you are in a enclose building.
3) there is a type of subscription(singtel) walkie talkie that use mobile signal is very clear and island wide even when you are in subway, enclose building or mountain. Must have mobile signal.
4) walkie talkie is used more for project commissioning purpose.
lastly do you know your current smartphone can be used as walkie talkie?