• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Is Trump's world unraveling after 4 weeks.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Trumps mentions Hillary Clinton 12 times in White House Media Briefing after 4 weeks in the role. His replacement for Flynn has bailed out. His own staff have now started to leak internal issues to the media.

We certainly can't back to the old world of liberalism and political correctness.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...cee7ce475fc_story.html?utm_term=.06643700e9fb

Trump claims he ‘inherited a mess’ at sprawling, grievance-filled news conference
Donald Trump's grievance-filled news conference, in less than 5 minutes Play Video4:49
The president spoke to and took questions from reporters at the White House for more than an hour, Feb. 16. Here are key moments from that event. (Video: Sarah Parnass/Photo: Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post)
By Ashley Parker and John Wagner February 16 at 7:43 PM
President Trump aired his grievances against the news media, the intelligence community and his detractors in a sprawling, stream-of-consciousness news conference Thursday, capping an extraordinary four weeks in office marked by tumult, disarray and infighting.

The beleaguered chief executive defended his advisers against claims of improper contacts with Russia and claimed — contrary to widespread perceptions both inside and outside the White House — that his fledgling administration “is running like a fine-tuned machine.”

“To be honest, I inherited a mess,” he said in a news conference that lasted an hour and 17 minutes and was, by turns, rambling, combative and pure Trump. “It’s a mess. At home and abroad, a mess.”

Yet moments later, the president seemed to acknowledge the widespread reports of turbulence and upheaval emanating out of the West Wing, only to claim that his White House — which so far has been marred by staff feuding, a controversial travel ban, false statements and myriad leaks — was operating seamlessly.

“I turn on the TV, open the newspapers and I see stories of chaos — chaos,” he said. “Yet it is the exact opposite. This administration is running like a fine-tuned machine, despite the fact that I can’t get my Cabinet approved.”

President Trump speaks during a news conference in the East Room of the White House on Thursday. (Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post)
Trump’s news conference — with the president firmly at the center as both complainer and defender in chief — capped a month of turmoil in what so far is the most tumultuous start to any U.S. presidency in modern history. His approval ratings are underwater in most polls, and he is battling setbacks including the firing Monday of national security adviser Michael Flynn and the decision Wednesday by Labor Department nominee Andrew Puzder to withdraw amid mounting opposition on Capitol Hill.

The turmoil continued Thursday evening as Trump’s pick to replace Flynn, retired Vice Adm. Robert Harward, turned down the job, according to people familiar with the offer.

[In an erratic performance, President Trump shows his supporters who’s boss]

A senior U.S. official said that “family considerations changed his mind,” and a friend of Harward’s added that the hard-charging former Navy SEAL was not fully comfortable with the quickly moving process. One factor in Harward’s decision was that he could not get a guarantee that he could select his own staff, according to someone close to Trump with knowledge of the discussions.

Trump had said earlier at the news conference that one of the reasons he felt he could let Flynn go was because he had a good replacement in mind, without naming that person. “I have somebody that I think will be outstanding for the position,” he said. “And that also helps, I think, in the making of my decision.”

Asked about recent reports in The Washington Post that Flynn had improperly discussed Russian sanctions with the country’s ambassador to the United States before Trump was sworn in, the president defended Flynn as a “fine person,” saying he had done nothing wrong in engaging the Russian envoy.

But Trump said Flynn had erred by misleading government officials, including Vice President Pence, about his conversations with Russia, which is why he ultimately demanded his resignation.

“He didn’t tell the vice president of the United States the facts,” Trump said. “And then he didn’t remember. And that just wasn’t acceptable to me.”

Trump also made clear that he had no problem with Flynn discussing with the Russian ambassador the sanctions imposed on Moscow by the Obama administration, saying it was Flynn’s job to reach out to foreign officials.

“No, I didn’t direct him, but I would have directed him if he didn’t do it,” Trump said.

[Fact-checking President Trump’s news conference]

Asked several times about reports in the New York Times and on CNN that his campaign had repeated contacts with Russia, including senior intelligence officials, Trump grew testy as reporters pushed him for a yes or no answer.

He said that he personally had not had contact and that he was not aware of such contacts during the campaign.

“Russia is a ruse,” Trump said. “I have nothing to do with Russia. Haven’t made a phone call to Russia in years. Don’t speak to people from Russia. Not that I wouldn’t. I just have nobody to speak to.

Trump’s general defense of Russia stood in contrast to comments Defense Secretary Jim Mattis made at a NATO meeting Thursday in Brussels, where he said that there was “very little doubt” that the Russians have either interfered or attempted to interfere with elections in democratic nations.

Thursday’s news conference was ostensibly billed as a chance for Trump to announce Alexander Acosta as his new pick for labor secretary, making him the first Latino in Trump’s Cabinet if approved.

But for 77 minutes, the president offered the verbal equivalent of the brash and impetuous early-morning tweets that have become the alarm clock for much of Washington. He took aim at everything from the recent controversies over Russia, which he dismissed, to the “criminal leaks” within the intelligence community. Although he inherited a growing economy, low inflation and low unemployment, he repeatedly portrayed a country in shambles under President Barack Obama.

Trump also said he would use his remarks to bypass the “dishonest media” and speak directly to the American people about the “incredible progress” his administration has made.

The president began on a subdued, almost melancholy note, looking down repeatedly to read from prepared remarks on his lectern. But he became more fiery and animated — joyful, even — when he began to banter and joust with the assembled reporters.

[Trump’s Labor pick, a former Justice official, would be first Hispanic in his Cabinet]

He reprised some of his favorite themes from the campaign trail, complaining about Hillary Clinton, whom he referenced 12 times; criticizing Obama’s policies, from his Affordable Care Act to his failed reset with Russia; and relitigating wounds old and new, in a Festivus-caliber airing of grievances.

And he boasted of his accomplishments so far. “I don’t think there’s ever been a president elected who in this short period of time has done what we’ve done,” Trump said.

He said he’s asked the Justice Department to look into the leaks coming out of U.S. intelligence agencies. He promised a new executive order by the middle of next week that would replace the now-frozen directive that temporarily barred refugees and citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States. Trump also said he would put forward a plan to repeal Obama’s Affordable Care Act by mid-March, with a tax reform package soon after.

“Tax reform is going to happen fairly quickly,” he said. “We’re doing Obamacare. We’re in final stages.”

Trump repeatedly lambasted the “fake news” media — which at one point he upgraded (or downgraded) to the “very fake news” media — while promoting some dubious claims and fake news of his own.

Trump was pressed on his incorrect assertion that he had the largest margin of victory in the electoral college since President Ronald Reagan, when Obama, Bill Clinton and George H.W. Bush had bested him in all of their victories. The new president blamed faulty facts.

“I was given that information,” he said. “Well, I don’t know, I was given that information.”

During the news conference, Trump alternated between showering the media with scorn and adopting a more playful, almost jaunty, tone. At one point, he insisted he was enjoying himself.

“I’m not ranting and raving — I love this,” he said. “I’m having a good time doing this.”

[Trump’s combative, complaint-filled news conference, annotated]

In an exchange with April Ryan of American Urban Radio Networks — the only black reporter called upon by Trump — the president asked her to arrange a meeting with the Congressional Black Caucus.

“Do you want to set up the meeting? Are they friends of yours?” he asked.

Trump also claimed that he had tried to meet with Rep. Elijah E. Cummings (D-Md.), a prominent member of the group, but that Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.), whom he called a “lightweight,” had urged Cummings not to attend.

In a statement, Cummings rebutted Trump’s version of the facts. “I have no idea why President Trump would make up a story about me like he did today,” he said. “Of course, Senator Schumer never told me to skip a meeting with the President.”

In another notable exchange with a Jewish reporter, who asked what Trump was going to do to tamp down on the uptick in anti-Semitism in the country since he took office, the president rejected the idea that he or his rhetoric might be partially to blame.

Local Politics Alerts
Breaking news about local government in D.C., Md., Va.
“Number one, I am the least anti-Semitic person that you’ve ever seen in your entire life,” Trump said. “Number two, racism, the least racist person.”

Trump’s Thursday performance seemed an acknowledgment, by the president, that he may be his own best press secretary and senior adviser, and allowed him to appear both confident, comfortable and in control.

While many of his comments, as well as the sometimes disjointed nature of his delivery, are certain to alarm official Washington, they are also the sorts of red-meat talking points that delighted his base during the campaign and helped propel him to victory.

“I won with news conferences and probably speeches,” he told the assembled reporters. “I certainly didn’t win by people listening to you people.”

Robert Costa, Adam Entous and Jenna Johnson contributed to this report.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
And to top it off he's going on the campaign trail again. It seems that the campaign never ends.

The democrats and the liberals are not bringing calm or clarity to the situation either as they are still articulating issues the wrong way and missing the forest for the trees.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I watched the news conference so I could draw my own conclusions.

It was a masterful performance and he certainly put the dishonest media in their place.

There are parallels between Trump and LKY and that is that while you may hate the personality you have to grudgingly accept the fact that the course they charter is spot on.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
I watched the news conference so I could draw my own conclusions.

It was a masterful performance and he certainly put the dishonest media in their place.

There are parallels between Trump and LKY and that is that while you may hate the personality you have to grudgingly accept the fact that the course they charter is spot on.

There are indeed parallels with LKY. Lky relished jousts with the international media. However, he was always rational , logical and deep. He ended up being greatly respected, Trump on the hand was pugnacious , illogical and rude. He has less respect than before.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually I thought I will go with an open mind in view of the on-going battle with the media. When he mentioned Clinton numerous times, I realised that he was lost. It was no longer about policies, vision or direction. That NSA nominee does not need Senate approval. Nominees are approached quietly and the name floated when the person agrees in principle. Looks like the guy back out with a reason. If his own administration leaked it, it shows that this is serious. And the guy is a confidante of his Sec of Defence.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Trumps mentions Hillary Clinton 12 times in White House Media Briefing after 4 weeks in the role. His replacement for Flynn has bailed out. His own staff have now started to leak internal issues to the media.

He mentions Hillary because the liberal media bosses were part of her campaign team which in itself is absolutely atrocious. The media is supposed to be the 4th estate not an arm of the democrats.

And I have to agree with him that the whole Russia saga is simply a ruse to discredit him. The Clinton foundation being beholden to foreign governments was a far bigger story which was swept under the carpet.

The media is doing absolutely no service to the American public. All they've done is act in even more deranged manner than they're claiming of him. There is hardly any analysis of his policies. There is no balance whatsoever in the reporting. I'd go as far as to say that the prostitute press of the PAP gives fairer coverage and I never for the life of me believe that I would say that one day.

Trump may not be in the upper crust cambridge educated league that LKY occupied. He's basically a head contractor so he speaks like an American "beng". However he's one of the "sharpest tools in the shed" when it comes to understanding the sort of leadership that middle America wants otherwise he would not have won the game all on his own.

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
His rather seemingly limited vocabulary and ineptitude at using the vocabulary or consistently really express a simple well-thought out and reasoned rebuttal (for which lots of fancy words are not necessary) has does not help.

But then again well-educated professionals who are our own MPs have struggled to articulate coherently when challenged by aunties in townhall meetings (even though such an event was touted as "an honest conversation").

So its a little rich to be armchair critics of someone else's choice of representation when this very country have enthusiastically support similarly shocking representatives without any signs that they are going to be more demanding of their own democratic system and representatives/ Ministers.

Toothpick anyone?

Last edited:

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are bits here that point to Trump PCK tendencies but on a much more epic scale....its only week 5 next....

from https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rite-day-as-president/?utm_term=.46e850656395

Why yesterday was Donald Trump’s favorite day as president

Many people are saying that President Trump's raw and emotional 77-minute news conference Thursday was a disaster — a display of id totally unshackled from political strategy.

Donald Trump is not one of those people. For Trump, the news conference was a major triumph and a big part of the reason he loves both politics and being president. For more than an hour, Trump talked up his accomplishments, mocked reporters and, generally, acted like the ringmaster of the greatest show on earth. And he loved every second of it.

Need evidence? Just listen to Trump himself.

“I'll be honest, because I sort of enjoy this back and forth that I guess I have all my life,” Trump said on Thursday, a remarkably candid assessment of his lifelong commitment to the joust, the back and forth between the media and celebrities/politicians.

His life is a testament to just how much he revels in it. Remember that this is the man who made up a young PR executive named John Barron to tout Donald Trump's eligibility as a bachelor. Someone who has confessed that the New York Post is the newspaper he reads first. Someone who has built a career on being talked about, being in the middle of things. Trump understands (and has always understood) that there is a symbiotic relationship between himself and the media; that, sure, he needs them but they need him — someone willing to be relentlessly, inescapably watchable — even more.

Writing about the news conference, WaPo's Phil Rucker put it well:

But the president also put on a show. He bantered and cajoled. He was playful, even. He waved away tough questions (“The whole Russian thing, that’s a ruse”) and cried out for “friendly” ones, congratulating a reporter who solicited his thoughts on the “great work” of first lady Melania Trump.

For Trump, there isn't really good news or bad news. There is news he orchestrates and everything else. And, on Thursday, he was in command — in his mind — of the whole orchestra. Consider:

1. Even as Trump strode into East Room, there was uncertainty about whether he would even take questions at all. The event was ostensibly to introduce his new labor secretary nominee — Alex Acosta — but it became clear very quickly that Trump had little interest in talking about anything other than himself.

2. He spent more than 20 minutes on an “opening” statement.

3. He swashbuckled his way through scads of reporters, offering up his judgments not only of their questions but their outlets and even shows on certain cable stations.

4. Everyone — and I do mean everyone — was talking about Trump, and only Trump, afterward.

Remember that for Trump, appearances are hugely important. And the appearance he gave off on Thursday was of a boss, the sun around which the political universe revolves.

Trump had been unhappy with his aides over the past few weeks, believing that they were on the wrong side of the media fire hose. So, he nominated his best spokesman — himself — to take back control. This account, from a terrific New York Times report on the news conference, sets that scene nicely:

The news conference, [supporters] said, was Mr. Trump’s best effort at spitting the bit out of his mouth and escaping the bridle of the West Wing, where he views his only way to communicate his side of any argument is his 140-character limited Twitter feed.

Trump is always at his most content when he is front and center. It's why he loved the campaign trail so much. His speeches broadcast live on cable TV, his supporters roaring for him. It's why, more than 1,300 days before the 2020 presidential race, Trump is headed to Florida this weekend for a campaign rally. If Trump could have a TV channel that simply broadcast everything he said and did 24-7/365, he'd do it in a second. His formative experience in the second half of his life is reality TV; the biggest danger in that world is not being talked about, not being relevant, not being part of the conversation.

Trump said as much on Thursday. “The tone [of the media coverage] is such hatred. I'm really not a bad person, by the way. No, but the tone is such — I do get good ratings, you have to admit that — the tone is such hatred.”

The takeaway?

1. Reporters are mean to me.

2. Doesn't matter, because I get good ratings.

Trump loved every one of the 77 minutes he performed in front of the national press corps on Thursday. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of these news conferences rather than fewer.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I expected the democrats to come to their senses and dismantle their toxic brand of identity politics and the art of calling everyone a racist, bigot or xenophobe. Clearly that hasn't changed.

If they don't learn anything from this election, Trump will get 8 years.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I can actually identify with the rust belt whites who have seen factory jobs go away to China and get called racists and xenophobes for protesting against unbridled immigration. Worse, get called racists and xenophobes for wanting to be patriots and true blue Americans desiring nothing more than to see America place her own citizens FIRST.

If Singaporeans woke up and repudiated policies of LHL and the PAP the same way the Clintons and the liberal Washington establishment were repudiated, we could have the political change we sorely need as well.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
His rather seemingly limited vocabulary and ineptitude at using the vocabulary or consistently really express a simple well-thought out and reasoned rebuttal (for which lots of fancy words are not necessary) has does not help.

But then again well-educated professionals who are our own MPs have struggled to articulate coherently when challenged by aunties in townhall meetings (even though such an event was touted as "an honest conversation").

So its a little rich to be armchair critics of someone else's choice of representation when this very country have enthusiastically support similarly shocking representatives without any signs that they are going to be more demanding of their own democratic system and representatives/ Ministers.

Toothpick anyone?

he adopted same tactics in tweeter, it meant to sync with blue collar whities.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Trump is a narcissistic demagogue.

It's always about me, me, me (or should I say him).
The sad thing is that those who support him (including the owner of this website) don't seem to care what comes out of his mouth even if it's a 100% lie.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

The sad thing is that those who support him (including the owner of this website) don't seem to care what comes out of his mouth even if it's a 100% lie.

He's just an average American Joe. They all talk like that. It's what makes them so lovable.

Remember Muhammad Ali in his prime... I'm the prettiest.... I'm the fastest... I'm the smartest. It's the usual trash talk aimed at opponents.

I like him because because behind the persona he's doing what is good for America. He may not be perfect but compared to that useless Obama the difference is like night and day.

Obama is a PR man not a President. He was so weak that America declined dramatically in the last 8 years.

I wish Trump all the best in making America great again because it is a country with so much potential but has been ruined by political correctness and weak leadership.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal

Care to share your expertise on American politics? Be polite huh? I don't take too kindly to Democratic tactics.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He's just an average American Joe. They all talk like that. It's what makes them so lovable.

Remember Muhammad Ali in his prime... I'm the prettiest.... I'm the fastest... I'm the smartest. It's the usual trash talk aimed at opponents.

I like him because because behind the persona he's doing what is good for America. He may not be perfect but compared to that useless Obama the difference is like night and day.

Obama is a PR man not a President. He was so weak that America declined dramatically in the last 8 years.

I wish Trump all the best in making America great again because it is a country with so much potential but has been ruined by political correctness and weak leadership.

Well said Bossman.
Obama was just like Carter and Trump is like a Reagan.
Obama like Carter did irreparable damage to America while in office.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually I thought I will go with an open mind in view of the on-going battle with the media. When he mentioned Clinton numerous times, I realised that he was lost. It was no longer about policies, vision or direction. That NSA nominee does not need Senate approval. Nominees are approached quietly and the name floated when the person agrees in principle. Looks like the guy back out with a reason. If his own administration leaked it, it shows that this is serious. And the guy is a confidante of his Sec of Defence.

NSA are always political and aligned with the President. There will be one.