• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Buying + Repairing A Leaking Fridge = Any Suggestions ?

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
my fridge is leaking water.............most likely the freezer drainage hole/pipe is blocked............call the agent to repair sure expensive, anyone got lobang for affordable repairman ?:confused:

also if i decide to buy new fridge, which online store got best price ?..............online sure cheaper than physical store, right ?:confused:

one component is not working properly,,,,,,,,,, repairman will ask for arm n leg
if you can tolerate,,,,,,, carry on if not try a shop in Ubi or Eunos which does repair quite cheap but not sure if those blokes still in biz
Oso if yours too old new fridge will save you electicity ie long run savings pay for the fridge...........

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
transport charge........service charge............i think even without need to change any parts will cost 100 bucks liao..........that's why thinking of buying new one.............

but will try to fix problem DIY 1st

tough to diy........... not so accessible n dun know which component

OrLanChowHorFun

Alfrescian
Loyal
one component is not working properly,,,,,,,,,, repairman will ask for arm n leg
if you can tolerate,,,,,,, carry on if not try a shop in Ubi or Eunos which does repair quite cheap but not sure if those blokes still in biz
Oso if yours too old new fridge will save you electicity ie long run savings pay for the fridge...........

but a fridge only uses less than 200 bucks worth of electricity a year.............

how much money can a 2 tick energy saving fridge save...........10-20% ?:confused:

even at 20% savings.........i'll have to use the fridge for 20 years for the savings to pay for the fridge..........:biggrin:

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
turn the fridge around and try to find the water tube. get a wire or wire cloth hanger and push the wire into the tube and just stir a few times. the blockage would be cleared.

OrLanChowHorFun

Alfrescian
Loyal
turn the fridge around and try to find the water tube. get a wire or wire cloth hanger and push the wire into the tube and just stir a few times. the blockage would be cleared.

the tube is inside the fridge...........anyway the water is coming from the top freezer and leaking to the fresh food compartment below.........so the blockage is in the freezer compartment..........

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
mine is a Sharp............i reckon got 12-14 years liao..........if i'm buying new one, i'm looking at Sharp or Mitsubishi..............

Samsung is a disaster..............Panasonic not that great too.............

Other than Korea I think many brands are now making them in made in Malaysia or Thailand. Except for those Japanese models going for $3k +.

I'm looking for an american type model which is deeper

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Other than Korea I think many brands are now making them in made in Malaysia or Thailand. Except for those Japanese models going for $3k +.

mine is kenmore from sears and it's unusually deep. can load a 5-gallon pot in there by removing shelves. easily can load 2-gallon pots without reconfiguring the shelves.

OrLanChowHorFun

Alfrescian
Loyal

made in M'sia or Thailand ok lah.............Jap cars also made there mah...............more importantly is the brand.............i think i'll buy Mitsubishi if i need a new one..............i just opened up the freezer panel of my Sharp and can't find any freaking hole................wonder where the FARK the water goes to........

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
mine is kenmore from sears and it's unusually deep. can load a 5-gallon pot in there by removing shelves. easily can load 2-gallon pots without reconfiguring the shelves.

I'm old enough to remember the Sears catalog ordering business. In those days there was no internet. Sears had these large phone book like catalogs with the pictures & prices of all the items they carried. My parents picked up one of their catalogs from Hong Kong & I would spend hours looking at the items they sold e.g. swimming pools, electrical items, ....

Kenmore is a house brand of Sears. They OEM from one of the fridge manufactures & can specify the quality to meet their price point.
Sears is in financial trouble & I doubt they will survive using their current business model. So in future you may have a problem getting service for a Kenmore?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm old enough to remember the Sears catalog ordering business. In those days there was no internet. Sears had these large phone book like catalogs with the pictures & prices of all the items they carried. My parents picked up one of their catalogs from Hong Kong & I would spend hours looking at the items they sold e.g. swimming pools, electrical items, ....

Kenmore is a house brand of Sears. They OEM from one of the fridge manufactures & can specify the quality to meet their price point.
Sears is in financial trouble & I doubt they will survive using their current business model. So in future you may have a problem getting service for a Kenmore?

sears make their money from extended warranties, service and maintenance. if they go bankrupt they will sell their service division to another party, and there's enough business and existing customers for new owner to turn a profit. if they sell off everything to avoid bankruptcy, the last division they will sell is their service division. anyway, my kenmore fridge does not carry an extended warranty; it has been working fine for over 10 years; if it needs to be repaired, i'll just junk it and buy a new ge fridge as my oven and range are from ge. if your new fridge needs regular servicing, it's most likely of dubious quality.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can confirm Samsung is pretty fuck up fridge. 10 years only, buay tong liao.

I often visit Best Denki to look at what they have & have to admit that Samsung products are attractive. However with Samsung products you have to be cautious because of their "reputation" or rather their bad reputation.

When I check the internet they always have a good review but ...Samsung is known to spend $$$ on advertising so many publications will not bite the hand that is giving them $$$. Samsung also hires people to post fake positive reviews.

Read about Samsung workers dying of cancer from the chemicals used in manufacturing. If a company ignores the welfare of their own workers then what about the safety of their products to the consumer? Look at the exploding Note 7 & exploding washing machines :rolleyes:

That is why I am not surprise with the negative experience of fellow forumers. I will never touch a Samsung product as long as there are alternativea :wink:

OrLanChowHorFun

Alfrescian
Loyal
just called agent and labour cost alone is $95.............if need parts might go to $150.............

wah.....unless i can find other repair men for far less..............might as well buy new fridge, $95 is 10% of new fridge liao