• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Keppel Corp

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Certainly hope Keppel goes up too later in the year.May your money work well for you too!

Thanks. I am quite well diversified. I wish you well too. I depend much on myself and dont trust the pap.

I pity Singaporeans the way pap sucks their money from detention of their CPF, to inflated HDB prices, Medishield Life, Eldershield Life, high cost of medical care. Most Singaporeans will have nothing much left when they reach 65yrs and many will have to depend on their children or relatives to pay their Medishield Life premiums ion their old age. The problem perpetuates from generation to generation

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are 100% right abt deadweight political appointees. This is the corrupt system that we have in SG. PAP will put their expired ministers in high paying jobs. They do nothing to add value to the companies but instead suck us of our hard earned money. Such men are Lim Boon Heng and Lee Boon Yang, very light weight men who achieved nothing for Singapore. Lim Boon Heng as put in charge of active age-ing and to come out with policies to help the senior citizens. He did nothing during his tenure

The share price of Keppel is down at $6.27.
I think some people are trying to talk up the share prices. I've seen this kind of pump & dump tactic before.

Well good luck to you guys because I think you'll need it.

uvwxyz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The share price of Keppel is down at $6.27.
I think some people are trying to talk up the share prices. I've seen this kind of pump & dump tactic before.

Well good luck to you guys because I think you'll need it.

Hi Johnny, the source of the article below is OCBC. Anyway I just commit to the stock and try to ignore short term fluctuations unless the fundamentals of the stock change.

Keppel Corporation: Impairments with right-sizing of yards

Keppel Corp (KEP) reported a 21.8% YoY drop in revenue to S$1.9b and a 64.7% fall in net profit to S$143.1m in 4Q16, bringing full year net profit to S$783.9m. This was a 48.6% drop compared to 2015, and was below expectations, accounting for 92% and 85% of ours and the street’s full year estimates, respectively. There were lower contributions from O&M and provisions for impairment of S$336m in 2016, mainly from O&M.

In comparison, 2016 was a good year for the property division, and looking ahead, the group still expects healthy sales figures for China and Vietnam. A final dividend of S$0.12/share has been declared, after the earlier interim dividend of S$0.08/share. Following the impairments taken and the recovery in oil prices, we increase our P/B for the O&M segment from 0.8x to 0.9x, and also update other estimates in our SOTP valuation. This results in a higher fair value estimate of S$6.26 (prev. S$5.71).

Maintain HOLD with a higher fair value estimate of S$6.26. (Low Pei Han)

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Johnny, the source of the article below is OCBC. Anyway I just commit to the stock and try to ignore short term fluctuations unless the fundamentals of the stock change.

Keppel Corporation: Impairments with right-sizing of yards

Keppel Corp (KEP) reported a 21.8% YoY drop in revenue to S$1.9b and a 64.7% fall in net profit to S$143.1m in 4Q16, bringing full year net profit to S$783.9m. This was a 48.6% drop compared to 2015, and was below expectations, accounting for 92% and 85% of ours and the street’s full year estimates, respectively. There were lower contributions from O&M and provisions for impairment of S$336m in 2016, mainly from O&M.

In comparison, 2016 was a good year for the property division, and looking ahead, the group still expects healthy sales figures for China and Vietnam. A final dividend of S$0.12/share has been declared, after the earlier interim dividend of S$0.08/share. Following the impairments taken and the recovery in oil prices, we increase our P/B for the O&M segment from 0.8x to 0.9x, and also update other estimates in our SOTP valuation. This results in a higher fair value estimate of S$6.26 (prev. S$5.71).

Maintain HOLD with a higher fair value estimate of S$6.26. (Low Pei Han)

I've gotten rid of most of my Spore shares so I may be biased :o
The only shares I have are Singtel which I recently received a $5+ of dividends :smile:

I'm a cheapskate so I just accumulate cheaper Malaysian shares. I use a cheaper Malaysian broker & I don't have to pay a custodial fee which is a plus because I am not an active trader. I just buy & hold for years & years. Companies in Malaysia sometimes have "right shares" which give me the opportunity to buy more shares at a discount & since I'm in the market for the long term. I take the opportunity to acquire more shares & after many years I am getting a respectable dividend from my investment.

uvwxyz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The only shares I have are Singtel which I recently received a $5+ of dividends :smile:

I'm a cheapskate so I just accumulate cheaper Malaysian shares. I use a cheaper Malaysian broker & I don't have to pay a custodial fee which is a plus because I am not an active trader. I just buy & hold for years & years. Companies in Malaysia sometimes have "right shares" which give me the opportunity to buy more shares at a discount & since I'm in the market for the long term. I take the opportunity to acquire more shares & after many years I am getting a respectable dividend from my investment.

By ' right' shares did you mean shares that are connected to the ruling party or UMNO? Also these dividends that you get, are the yields devalued since the ringgit keeps on falling compared to the Sing dollar?

I used to purchase the Malaysian counters but stopped after the CLOB event many years ago. Used to punt on stocks like Idris Hydraulics and Promet but also bought stuff like MISC Foreign. All in all I lost money there.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
By ' right' shares did you mean shares that are connected to the ruling party or UMNO? Also these dividends that you get, are the yields devalued since the ringgit keeps on falling compared to the Sing dollar?

I used to purchase the Malaysian counters but stopped after the CLOB event many years ago. Used to punt on stocks like Idris Hydraulics and Promet but also bought stuff like MISC Foreign. All in all I lost money there.

Companies that need $ to expand their operations will offer "right shares". It is suppose to devalue the shares in the market but since I've held my shares for years the value of the shares have gone up. Recently Public Bank offered a "right shares" which I accepted. Public Bank is one of the better banks in Malaysia & I was planning to pick up more of their shares anyway, before I received their "right shares" offer :smile:

It is unfortunate about the devalued ringgit. Even with the devalued ringgit, the dividend when converted to $SGD is more than enough to live comfortably on. Looking at moving to Thailand on a semi-permanent basis because of a better quality of life there. I started investing in Malaysia when Mahathir was PM & eventually Najib will be gone & hopeully the ringgit will recover. I see now as a good time to invest in Malaysia because the low ringgit makes it a bargain.

I am also receiving USD$ dividends from my US investments. Currently using it to re-invest in the US but I'm worried about Trump. So waiting to see what happens before I decide?

I also used to punt during the CLOB years but I've transferred some of these shares to Malaysia. I realised that Malaysian shares give a steady stream of dividends.
When I was investing in Spore I often lost $ because many of the companies I was invested in was acquired & I was forced to sell my shares at a loss :(

So I continue to invest where I have made money i.e. US & Malaysia, and gotten out where I've lost money i.e. Spore. Your mileage may of course be different.

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Companies that need $ to expand their operations will offer "right shares". It is suppose to devalue the shares in the market but since I've held my shares for years the value of the shares have gone up. Recently Public Bank offered a "right shares" which I accepted. Public Bank is one of the better banks in Malaysia & I was planning to pick up more of their shares anyway, before I received their "right shares" offer :smile:

It is unfortunate about the devalued ringgit. Even with the devalued ringgit, the dividend when converted to $SGD is more than enough to live comfortably on. Looking at moving to Thailand on a semi-permanent basis because of a better quality of life there. I started investing in Malaysia when Mahathir was PM & eventually Najib will be gone & hopeully the ringgit will recover. I see now as a good time to invest in Malaysia because the low ringgit makes it a bargain.

I am also receiving USD$ dividends from my US investments. Currently using it to re-invest in the US but I'm worried about Trump. So waiting to see what happens before I decide?

I also used to punt during the CLOB years but I've transferred some of these shares to Malaysia. I realised that Malaysian shares give a steady stream of dividends.
When I was investing in Spore I often lost $ because many of the companies I was invested in was acquired & I was forced to sell my shares at a loss :(

So I continue to invest where I have made money i.e. US & Malaysia, and gotten out where I've lost money i.e. Spore. Your mileage may of course be different.

Johnny, thanks for sharing. Besides Public Bank, what other good Malaysian shares are you holding? Can a sinkie just go to any brokerage in Malaysia to open a trading account? Do you happen to know if sg trading platform such as poems can trade Malaysian shares?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Johnny, thanks for sharing. Besides Public Bank, what other good Malaysian shares are you holding? Can a sinkie just go to any brokerage in Malaysia to open a trading account? Do you happen to know if sg trading platform such as poems can trade Malaysian shares?

Your mileage may be different because I bought the shares when the prices were lower. Shares like Carlesberg, Public Bank, Sime Darby,... Sime Darby is not doing so well now because commodity prices are down.

Looking at diversifying into milk. I notice that Dutch Lady is doing well:smile:

I've never used POEMs so have no opinion. I was actually going through my broker in Spore & it was more expensive & can be frustrating because I had to call him up at the end of the day, to get an update on whether a trade went through.

It is easy to open a Malaysian trading account if you have the $$$. I opened a Maybank Malaysia trading account because there was a representative at the City View branch. If you want to open an account now, you have to go to the Maybank Jalan Pingai branch in Pelangi http://www.poskod.website/address/maybank-taman-pelangi_136695639827487/ The trading office is at the top floor

Maybank's trading platform is very basic & you need to be running Internet Explorer.

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Your mileage may be different because I bought the shares when the prices were lower. Shares like Carlesberg, Public Bank, Sime Darby,... Sime Darby is not doing so well now because commodity prices are down.

Looking at diversifying into milk. I notice that Dutch Lady is doing well:smile:

I've never used POEMs so have no opinion. I was actually going through my broker in Spore & it was more expensive & can be frustrating because I had to call him up at the end of the day, to get an update on whether a trade went through.

It is easy to open a Malaysian trading account if you have the $$$. I opened a Maybank Malaysia trading account because there was a representative at the City View branch. If you want to open an account now, you have to go to the Maybank Jalan Pingai branch in Pelangi http://www.poskod.website/address/maybank-taman-pelangi_136695639827487/ The trading office is at the top floor

Maybank's trading platform is very basic & you need to be running Internet Explorer.

Thanks for the useful information. Happy new year to you and all here, keep fit, keep wealth and stay happy in this Rooster Year!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for the useful information. Happy new year to you and all here, keep fit, keep wealth and stay happy in this Rooster Year!

Your Welcome. Always happy to share information.
Unfortunately many Sporeans don't think about investing until it's too late. Investing is just not as sexy as getting a car or home :smile:

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unfortunately many Sporeans don't think about investing until it's too late. Investing is just not as sexy as getting a car or home :smile:

Not sure if many sinkies don't think of investing or no money to. Not easy to save to invest when not earning a lot, got old got young to feed and mortgage loan.

Since last year I started to buy sg shares that pays dividends of 6% and more. But I'm the unlucky type, always buy at a higher price and after that price drops. Still I get the 6% dividend for my cost price, at least for now.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Not sure if many sinkies don't think of investing or no money to. Not easy to save to invest when not earning a lot, got old got young to feed and mortgage loan.

Since last year I started to buy sg shares that pays dividends of 6% and more. But I'm the unlucky type, always buy at a higher price and after that price drops. Still I get the 6% dividend for my cost price, at least for now.

Thanks for the tip. I like to invest in consumer products as they are usually stable and have huge upside potential due to growth in human population. I made good money from consumer stocks like Super Group and Food Empire. Thanks for recommending Dutch Lady.

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for the tip. I like to invest in consumer products as they are usually stable and have huge upside potential due to growth in human population. I made good money from consumer stocks like Super Group and Food Empire. Thanks for recommending Dutch Lady.

Thanks for sharing too.
Those shares I bought in sg ends with the word "trust". Guess they are like reits.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

Be cautious when trading in stocks such as Food Empire. The company is focused on Eastern Europe, especially Russia. It was not doing very well. Management recently wen on a publicity drive and managed to push share price from its traditional 33c to 55cents

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

Malaysian shares are subject to great manipulation. If SG shares are bad, malaysian shares are worse

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think he meant "rights" shares...those which are given cum rights issue

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

If you are familiar with dividends, P&L statements, Balance Sheet, NTA, NAV, you are savvy

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

Buy only what you can hold. Because you can be caught off guard by companies who manipulate their shares

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, it is best to make your money work for you. But sadly, high cost of living, not many young singaporeans are blessed to have cash to invest