• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Terrex AFV confiscation in HKG: The Implications and Revelations

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The Terrex are probably picked clean by now. Everything inside is dismantled. I will not be surprised to see the BMS module and screens have been dismantled. I am sure some components will be missing. Maybe even a plate or 2 cut from the vehicle to examine the MEXAS applique armour. They can take anything they want from the vehicles and MINDEF will keep it quiet and not mention it for fear of losing face.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Terrex are probably picked clean by now. Everything inside is dismantled. I will not be surprised to see the BMS module and screens have been dismantled. I am sure some components will be missing. Maybe even a plate or 2 cut from the vehicle to examine the MEXAS applique armour. They can take anything they want from the vehicles and MINDEF will keep it quiet and not mention it for fear of losing face.

This incident speaks loudly and demonstrates the character, the ability, and the diplomacy or the lack thereof of several individuals.
With respect, I believe that a non medical doctor, a non-scholar officer, non scholar may do as well or better in resolving such a matter, regardless he or she is paid $1 million or more a year.
In fact, this matter may prove that the "scholar principle(s) and policy(ies)" may have failed Singapore and Singaporeans.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
This incident speaks loudly and demonstrates the character, the ability, and the diplomacy or the lack thereof of several individuals.
With respect, I believe that a non medical doctor, a non-scholar officer, non scholar may do as well or better in resolving such a matter, regardless he or she is paid $1 million or more a year.
In fact, this matter may prove that the "scholar principle(s) and policy(ies)" may have failed Singapore and Singaporeans.

How can it be? The scholarship system is created on the principles of meritocracy. Are you saying meritocracy is bad, nepotism is better? That is a bold claim. You got to back it up. :mad:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How can it be? The scholarship system is created on the principles of meritocracy. Are you saying meritocracy is bad, nepotism is better? That is a bold claim. You got to back it up. :mad:

It is not about meritocracy alone.
It is their belief that a scholar cannot be just average, but should be excellent.
I have seen it a very long time ago, during NS, where CO's and Brigade Commanders have been questioned and perhaps, asked to revise the performance appraisals for scholar-officers,
if those CO's and Brigade Commanders did not indicate that those scholar-officers whom they wrote a performance appraisal are outstanding.
Besides, unless a scholar really messed up, their career path is lined with honey, bread and sweet meat.
In addition, it appears that the current system has created more than ample opportunities for the scholars, where relatively young and inexperienced scholars in their early 30's are in very senior and financially rewarding (or may be more rewarding than non-government positions) positions.
There is Permanent Secretary, 2 PS, several Deputy Secretaries in each or most of the Ministries.
There are so many scholar officers who are of BG rank, and of DAC or AC rank.
I do not believe that on average that a scholar officer in the SAF or SPF will be better than a non scholar officer.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
It is not about meritocracy alone.
It is their belief that a scholar cannot be just average, but should be excellent.
I have seen it a very long time ago, during NS, where CO's and Brigade Commanders have been questioned and perhaps, asked to revise the performance appraisals for scholar-officers,
if those CO's and Brigade Commanders did not indicate that those scholar-officers whom they wrote a performance appraisal are outstanding.
Besides, unless a scholar really messed up, their career path is lined with honey, bread and sweet meat.
In addition, it appears that the current system has created more than ample opportunities for the scholars, where relatively young and inexperienced scholars in their early 30's are in very senior and financially rewarding (or may be more rewarding than non-government positions) positions.
There is Permanent Secretary, 2 PS, several Deputy Secretaries in each or most of the Ministries.
There are so many scholar officers who are of BG rank, and of DAC or AC rank.
I do not believe that on average that a scholar officer in the SAF or SPF will be better than a non scholar officer.

and when do you pick scholars? When they are 18 years old. Do we honestly believe that at 18 years old these kids have gone through enough life experience, learned enough life skills and whatever skills that we can seriously assess whether they will be successful super talented individuals in the future?

It is ridiculous quite frankly.

Ask any leader in the business or political world what they were doing at age 18. Only in Singapore will you have all those glorious stories about their grades and ECA and what not.

Absolute rubbish. Ask any of these so called scholars what their greatest achievement in life is and they would answer - getting their scholarship.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
https://www.aplworldwidelogistics.com/download_zone/Terms.pdf

The terms of carriage are quite clear. No. 12 states that the shipper shall comply with:

The Shipper shall with all the applicable laws, customs and other Government regulations of any coun
try
to, through or over which the consignments may be carried, including those relating to the packing,
carriage or delay or the
goods shall furnish such information and provide such documents as may be
necessary to comply with such laws and regulations.

APL for sure has published all the stops along its route for this particular ship departing Kaoshiung. i would imagine that MINDEF should have documentation to comply with entry into all these other ports or else just book with some other shipper.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We need real leaders like Modi or Duterte to replace our useless high-maintenance jokers who have proven time and again how ineffective & impotent they are on the international stage. Too full of themselves!

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
We need real leaders like Modi or Duterte to replace our useless high-maintenance jokers who have proven time and again how ineffective & impotent they are on the international stage. Too full of themselves!

modi earns $30k or so. Much less then Gay Loong

spotter542

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The LEEgime is still clueless as to how to handle this situation.
They should have asked the sacrificial lamb who "works" in Kerry Logistics for help.
He is based in Hong Kong after all.
His previous position in the Ministry should come in handy.
If he was shoved into the limelight , reclaiming Aljunied would be child's play.
Gullible Singaporeans love heroes , dictators , traitors and their offspring :rolleyes:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The LEEgime is still clueless as to how to handle this situation.
They should have asked the sacrificial lamb who "works" in Kerry Logistics for help.
He is based in Hong Kong after all.
His previous position in the Ministry should come in handy.
If he was shoved into the limelight , reclaiming Aljunied would be child's play.
Gullible Singaporeans love heroes , dictators , traitors and their offspring :rolleyes:

Ask yourself something. Does it make sense that it takes 2 months to investigate this? In a place like HKG where everything is super efficient? HKG is one of the busiest container ports in the world, they have a reputation to protect and taking 2 months to investigate paperwork is not consistent with their reputation of efficiency. And how convenient too that HKG is now saying its the fault of APL and that criminal charges might be brought against them. If APL was still owned by SIngapore, would they have made this statement? There was absolutely no indication from HKG prior to today's announcement that APL might even be remotedly responsible as the whole shipping world knows that the shipper and not the carrier (APL) is responsible for all the appropriate paperwork. And also coincidentally, the HKG position conveniently echoes the earlier position of MINDEF that the carrier APL was at fault for improper documentation. If these goods were not armour vehicles but some other cargo, then its a negotiation between APL and HKG customs. There would be involvement from the govt of the shipper. But at the very beginning, MINDEF was already involved. I think they are definitely culpable.

This smells to high heavens. I can only guess at the amount of money spend to grease HKG and PRC's hands to get the Terrex back and to spin it into a blame APL story.

Does this make sense at all that the HKG

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I dare MINDEF to invite the local and international press to the docks when they unload the terrex after its return from HKG and unveil the Terrex in public. See what parts are missing or cut out. They dare or not?

spotter542

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ask yourself something. Does it make sense that it takes 2 months to investigate this? In a place like HKG where everything is super efficiency? HKG is one of the busiest container ports in the world, they have a reputation to protect and taking 2 months to investigate paperwork is not consistent with their reputation of efficiency. And how convenient too that HKG is now saying its the fault of APL and that criminal charges might be brought against them. If APL was still owned by SIngapore, would they have made this statement? There was absolutely no indication prior to today's announcement that APL might even be remotedly responsible as the whole shipping world knows that the shipper and not the carrier (APL) is responsible for all the appropriate paperwork. And also coincidentally, the HKG position conveniently echoes the earlier position of MINDEF that the carrier APL was at fault for improper documentation.

This smells to high heavens. I can only guess at the amount of money spend to grease HKG and PRC's hands to get the Terrex back and to spin it into a blame APL story.

Does this make sense at all that the HKG

These Hongkies are no different from corrupt Tiongs.
Money makes wonder when recession is on the horizon :biggrin:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Let me see now, its all about the missing or incorrect documentation or paperwork, right?

HKG Customs: "APL, we seem to be missing such and such documents for this shipment of armour vehicles. You have it or not"
APL: "Sorry, yes, we have all the missing paperwork, will get it from our office and deliver to you tomorrow, ok?"

Like that takes 2 months?

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...unveil the Terrex in public. See what parts are missing or cut out. They dare or not?

IMG_0752_zpsxckodsou.jpg