• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious What's The Difference Between Smart And Clever?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Clue. Dress smart vs dress clever.

Smart refers more to a general state or ability.

Clever refers more to being capable and excellent in a particular task.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Smart is when you pay a visit to your father-in-law when he is in ICU.
Clever is when you go into his residence after that and take his documents.

chucky

Alfrescian
Loyal
Between the 2 of them, LSF definitely dresses smarter and cleverer than HC. :smile:

Clue. Dress smart vs dress clever.

Smart refers more to a general state or ability.

Clever refers more to being capable and excellent in a particular task.

tyudm

Alfrescian
Loyal
Smart indicates acquired knowledge ie we use the terms "street smart" and "book smart", so smart has more to do with experience...

Clever is something you were born with, like the ability to solve problems fast.

So clever is natural talent while smart is taught/learned.

先天 VS 后天

With experience a smart guy could incorporate strategic or cunning moves to out smart a clever guy.
So can we conclude politicians and lawyers are smart while the other professions like engineer,
doctor, bankers etc...are clever?

chucky

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not really. Even if you think smart and clever mean different things, all these professions you mentioned will need to have both elements. How much of each will probably determine how they behave and how successful they are in different areas.

With experience a smart guy could incorporate strategic or cunning moves to out smart a clever guy.
So can we conclude politicians and lawyers are smart while the other professions like engineer,
doctor, bankers etc...are clever?

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Smart is when you pay a visit to your father-in-law when he is in ICU.
Clever is when you go into his residence after that and take his documents.

Smart is hold your peace when you absorb all the verbal bullets from your enemy with a solid bullet vest.
Clever is rebutting in peace when you unleash one deadly lightning stroke at just the right moment that cut right through the heart of the enemy and kill him on the spot.

KNNBPCB

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If I had to make a guess who is smarter and cleverer between LSF and HC, it would have to be Ho Ching.

What is your basis for saying HC? Because she wrote a long letter to her brother-in-law while addressing him by an endearing name? :p

chucky

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not just that, she seems to be quietly calculating, while not being openly outspoken. In any case, she had no choice but to reply to LHY and she did so by choosing her words carefully.

What is your basis for saying HC? Because she wrote a long letter to her brother-in-law while addressing him by an endearing name? :p

chucky

Alfrescian
Loyal
Smart and clever means that defence and attack are both strong and done at the right moments.

Smart is hold your peace when you absorb all the verbal bullets from your enemy with a solid bullet vest.
Clever is rebutting in peace when you unleash one deadly lightning stroke at just the right moment that cut right through the heart of the enemy and kill him on the spot.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Academically I am not very smart. However I am very clever in the workplace and hence I make a lot of money, more than the smart people in school who eventually end up working under me.

tyudm

Alfrescian
Loyal
Academically I am not very smart. However I am very clever in the workplace and hence I make a lot of money, more than the smart people in school who eventually end up working under me.

So you've got arse-luck.

chucky

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can't tell that you are clever based on the face in your avatar, but I guess we will have to take your word for it. :smile:

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To have a spare tyre outside your marriage is smart and keeping it secret from your wife until she finds out is smart.

chucky

Alfrescian
Loyal
The cheating spouse should be smart enough not to get caught, while the other spouse should be clever enough to know when to walk away.

To have a spare tyre outside your marriage is smart and keeping it secret from your wife until she finds out is smart.

KNNBPCB

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

In order to have the best of both worlds, you have to be smarter and cleverer than both your wife and spare tyre. :p