• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat seeking a cleverer solution for broadband speed connection

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hi, bros and sis,

i have a friend who lives in a rural area in melb. and as a a matter of fact, his adsl interneck connection is very slow due to his area's cabling provided by his telco or is it, i am not too sure either???

i am wondering any bros here can advise is there other way to boost his internet speed? i tried google but can't find anything. genuine advice needed...many thxs in adv.

rgds, kraft

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
that problem is not unique to rural arsetralia. in rural california we have the same problem too. more so in montana, wyoming, idaho where mom and pop telcos can only offer dsl over twisted pairs of phone lines. if satellite service is not available or too expensive ask rural provider to use modems that combine pairs of copper lines to get higher speed bonded dsl. otherwise, check with mobile operators to see which one offers 4g lte in the area and if they sell mi-fi gadgets. the smartphone can double up as a mi-fi hotspot too but it has to be plugged in regularly as battery will drain in hotspot mode.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Both garlic and eatshit bro gives good suggestion.

Most people in such situation in US uses, satellite Internet Access or subscribe to an (almost) unlimited 4G data SIM Card in a special router near window and then sends the Wireless-N signal throughout in their house. (Provided you have 4G access near your house windows).

steps-01.jpg

https://www.asus.com/sg/Networking/4GN12

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
[video=youtube;LG-AZz_nm5E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG-AZz_nm5E[/video]

Here's a third suggestion which is complicated:
10 years ago, aSingaporean towkay invested in either bintang or batam and want to save $$$ on internet access in Indonesia. He setup a repeater which transmit his Starhub Cable WIFI signal from his Mandarin Gardens Condo Balcony.

Criteria: You dun mind paying a bit more electricity bill, got good firewall, you know how to setup + you have a "Clear Line of Sight" between the two locations. (elevated ground/building in Bintang or Batam)

antenna_line_of_sight.gif

This is complicated. Just sharing for fun.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
So i vote for the Asus solution
You can just get a few neighbours to bug a telco to setup 4G network in your neighbourhood and all of u commit subscribe to the telco's data sim.

Even if u got to make do with a 3G internet data in rural area, it is still easier to setup and cheaper.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Here's a third suggestion which is complicated:
10 years ago, aSingaporean towkay invested in either bintang or batam and want to save $$$ on internet access in Indonesia. He setup a repeater which transmit his Starhub Cable WIFI signal from his Mandarin Gardens Condo Balcony.

Criteria: You dun mind paying a bit more electricity bill, got good firewall, you know how to setup + you have a "Clear Line of Sight" between the two locations. (elevated ground/building in Bintang or Batam)

antenna_line_of_sight.gif

This is complicated. Just sharing for fun.

he's infringing on both cuntries' regulations and laws on rf emissions with personal and private use of certain swaths of electromagnectic spectrum and radiowaves without filing and getting approval for respective licenses in both indon and sg. even if the line-of-sight microwave link is in license-exempt 2.4 ghz and or 5 ghz (same bands used for wi-fi), it will require a high transmit power with directional antennas with high gain to cover the distance. there are regulatory limits on eirp at all frequencies, and they vary from cuntry to cuntry.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
moreover, for that kind of power, the eirp on the side and rear lobes of the antenna at the condo can have long term irreversible impacts on the "health" of residents in and around the condo.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
mobile broadband?smartphone 4g wifi hotspot is good but mobile broadband is definitely faster.i got a mobile broadband device on the go and i love it,signals def stronger,and speeds at least 5x faster and the data is somewhat cheaper than prepaid data sims too.

ur mobile broadband can be hooked up to any number of device thru wifi.

Last edited:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
according to wiki,only 5 percent of the world population is covered by 4g networks.....so ur friend is probably stuck with 3g internet,which is probably as slow as adsl speed.still its not too bad though,i remember using dialup as a kid.compared to dialup,anything is lightning fast.....the first 256 adsl modem i got with the blinking yellow light that lost connection every 30 minutes and u had to pray the copper wire connection was having a good day and u had to jiggle the phone jack a thousand times was still a godsend compared to dialup.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
hi, bros and sis,

i have a friend who lives in a rural area in melb. and as a a matter of fact, his adsl interneck connection is very slow due to his area's cabling provided by his telco or is it, i am not too sure either???

i am wondering any bros here can advise is there other way to boost his internet speed? i tried google but can't find anything. genuine advice needed...many thxs in adv.

rgds, kraft

Your friend must be a sinkie. Ai Pee Ai Chee.want to have it good and cheap? Why u have not desinkiefied them yet?

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
he's infringing on both cuntries' regulations and laws on rf emissions with personal and private use of certain swaths of electromagnectic spectrum and radiowaves without filing and getting approval for respective licenses in both indon and sg. even if the line-of-sight microwave link is in license-exempt 2.4 ghz and or 5 ghz (same bands used for wi-fi), it will require a high transmit power with directional antennas with high gain to cover the distance. there are regulatory limits on eirp at all frequencies, and they vary from cuntry to cuntry.

I didn't realize that. Good that you point it out. It was a taiwanese who setup for him back then. Taiwanese were experts in such setups due to their geographical limitations.
So i think it is ok to use within a country, like australia if the user has the technical know-how.

The power consumption was quite minimal 24V, 1 or 2 amp, can't recall.