• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat 17-Hour Hostage Situation In Sembawang! Guess Race?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Video at https://www.facebook.com/ChannelNewsAsia/videos/10153955042477934/

SINGAPORE: A 17-hour standoff between the police and a man who locked himself in a Sembawang flat with a two-year-old boy ended after police broke into the unit on Wednesday afternoon (Sep 28).

The 39-year-old suspect had locked himself and the boy inside the fifth-floor unit at Block 462 Sembawang Drive since around 6.40pm on Tuesday. At 12.03pm on Wednesday, officers from the Special Operations Command forced their way into the unit.

A Special Operations Command truck at the block where the boy was being held. (Photo: Alicia Tantriady)

The man was arrested for wrongful confinement and drug-related offences, the police said, adding that the boy’s mother has also been arrested for drug-related offences.

The boy was unharmed and is now in the custody of authorities. Paramedics are assessing his condition, the police said. Channel NewsAsia understands that the police will work with the Ministry of Social and Family Development on the boy’s well-being.

hostage-situation-data.jpg

The suspect being led away by the police. (Photos: Alicia Tantriady)

During the standoff, police negotiators tried to persuade the man to open the door to release the boy. They did not break into the house earlier as they did not want to agitate the man, the police said.

But when the man refused to surrender, police eventually forced their way into the house by breaking a window and cutting the front gate of the flat.

CtapwmoWYAIJ19G.jpg

View image on Twitter

The incident was said to be sparked off by a dispute between the boy's mother and the man, who are believed to be in a relationship.

Ms Rosli, who was visiting her mother who lives a few doors down from the unit, said her mother heard a loud argument between the couple at around 5pm on Tuesday. The woman was crying and the man chased her out of the house, she said.

“An older lady – I assume is the kids’ grandmother – then came and told the man to open up. She was telling the guy to let him go, he's not your child, release him. She said (the boy) has not been to school for so long.”

When the police broke into the house, Ms Rosli said she saw the officers climbing up into the unit, then heard a hissing sound and a loud bang.

BOY HAD SUFFICIENT FOOD, WATER: MP

Earlier on Wednesday, Sembawang GRC MP Lim Wee Kiak told the media that the boy – the youngest of four children – had access to sufficient food and water at home while he was being held.

“We are watching the situation very closely and the police have been working very hard to negotiate with the individual involved. Our concern is for the safety of both the individual and the child,” he said.

“We understand it’s a family dispute and they are now trying to resolve this. We have also checked our database and the family is not known to us for ComCare assistance or anything at all,” Dr Lim added.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/boy-being-held-hostage-in-sembawang-flat/3161756.html

Last edited:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
More evidence of state neglect on minority natives of the island. They took away their land, their spirit and now, their lives.

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<<“An older lady – I assume is the kids’ grandmother – then came and told the man to open up. She was telling the guy to let him go, he's not your child, release him. She said (the boy) has not been to school for so long.”>>

i smell some false reporting here. 2 year old boy goes to what kind of school huh? not even old enough for nursery.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
More evidence of state neglect on minority natives of the island. They took away their land, their spirit and now, their lives.

Since when was it their land? Most of Singapore was uninhabited. And it was a single m&d who signed the island to the British. That m&d wouldn't agree that Singapore belonged to all the m&ds instead of just him alone.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
https://www.facebook.com/todayonline/videos/10154096610812572/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Calling GoldenDragon aka Sammyboy Police Expert, is this the right way to do it?

First, the officers who broke in were officers from the STAR team. Part of SOC. I know coz I used their services in the past. They are trained to break down gates/doors etc for point of entry. They have all the equipments.

They were backed by SOC officers. STAR chaps never show their faces. CNB continues to use them if Intel suggests targets may be armed. Usually at Woodlands checkpoint.

No idea why it took so long before decision was made to break in. Were they trying to wear down the idiot inside? Bring him drinks and makan with 'extra' ingredients to make him drowsy?

Imo, the risk increases with each passing hour. If I was the one calling the shots, I won't wait more than 3-4 hrs. There again, I wasn't there but I have 100% confidence in the current SOC boss. Arul Scott is decisive n has 3 balls made of steel. If previous Comdr, I won't be that sure.

bodycells

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am wondering why in this day and age there is still such drama happening.

Such drama is so old school.

Oh yes, another useless case that link to a smelly pussy and the one who worship such pussy got screwed.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
First, the officers who broke in were officers from the STAR team. Part of SOC. I know coz I used their services in the past. They are trained to break down gates/doors etc for point of entry. They have all the equipments.

They were backed by SOC officers. STAR chaps never show their faces. CNB continues to use them if Intel suggests targets may be armed. Usually at Woodlands checkpoint.

No idea why it took so long before decision was made to break in. Were they trying to wear down the idiot inside? Bring him drinks and makan with 'extra' ingredients to make him drowsy?

Imo, the risk increases with each passing hour. If I was the one calling the shots, I won't wait more than 3-4 hrs. There again, I wasn't there but I have 100% confidence in the current SOC boss. Arul Scott is decisive n has 3 balls made of steel. If previous Comdr, I won't be that sure.

Why need so many officers? It's a family, not a bunch of terrorists.

Agree 17 hours too long, especially for the kid

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ya la nabei showoff when it's a druggie.....
CB ah Neh mob how come they never call in the Calvary? Wayang only.
Know can makan then come out

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That idiot had no revolver or pistol. Neither was he in possession of a bomb. And yet 17 hours. If armed, 17 days?

Gaining entry requires less than 10 seconds. Through the kitchen window, distract him n burst in from the front. Nothing difficult. I have done that before.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Was told Commander AMK police was overall in-charge. Not Comdr SOC. What a bodoh scholar. Very typical of scholars. No balls. He is better off with a career elsewhere.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Is this Scott Arul, older than you (more senior than you re: earlier batch?), and is he not a scholar?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Was told Commander AMK police was overall in-charge. Not Comdr SOC. What a bodoh scholar. Very typical of scholars. No balls. He is better off with a career elsewhere.

Unsure, indecisive, or no balls, because this matter should be resolved within half a day, or sooner.