• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

JB-SIN-JB Commuting Times (DAILY)

Munas

Hi everyone

Need some urgent serious help. Read many contradicting articles online so best I ask those who are doing it so now. Most articles are outdated as well.
I will be moving to JB and working in Singapore.
Daughters will be in Singapore school, morning session, so I must be at their Singapore school by 7.30am Mon-Fri
Without traffic, it took me 45mins from East Ledang to her primary school in Marine Parade.

But I need to know what time should we leave home in order to avoid traffic.
I rather leave earlier and then hang out somewhere in Singapore doing something than to be stuck in traffic.

I left 630am and we arrived 8.00am and another day arrived 8.30am

Someone told me in order to totally avoid any traffic jam at the immigration, to leave home at 4am!
is this right?

Also, how does someone from Singapore living in JB get a full-time live in housemaid?
To apply for a housemaid in Malaysia, you need a Malaysia work visa, but mine's Singapore.
To apply for a housemaid in Singapore, can the maid go in and out of SG-JB-SG using the MACS card like us?

Be good to keep this thread so we can start posting our timings to see best times to go out and get in daily.

Hope someone can truly help me out here. Thanks

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Welcome to East Ledang and your stay I am sure will be ultra-pleasant on Saturdays and Sundays ( Tried and tested )

Having kids is the greatest impediment to my permanent stay in JB. If not I would have pointed the middle finger to Singapore's ultra over-priced condos and HDBs. I am pleased that my kids are entering uni in a couple of year and I can relax more.

To avoid jams, from East Ledang you can still leave home at 415am and reach the SG custom at 430-440am. I am not sure what kind of "no jams" are you referring to. The above timing is for first car in the counter at both Malaysia and Singapore custom. This does not apply to the year end school holidays where you need to reach custom at 330 to 345am to avoid jams altogether as there are many Malaysians who are entering Singapore to Changi Airport to take international flights.

However during the school holidays when you do not have to ferry kids, jams are quite acceptable if u are alone or with spouse.

Safety wise is a no-brainer. The route from East Ledang to Singapore is 100% safe ( from experience ) and pumping in the Shell station at Tuas is also 100% safe. I have personally known the blangla staff for 10+ years and I buy them food often. Overall the staff are all friendly. Of course, there are heros who drive slightly flashy cars such as Z4 ( I am sure regulars will see a yellow open top almost daily ) or XC90 or Maseratis 7 series etc but most chaps drive bread and butter SG cars to enter Singapore for safety and because they are saving their cash for a more flashy Malaysia plate car which got no such shit like COE.

Maid wise I am not able to advise you as my family is poor and I grew up fending for myself.

Some of my associates who are big-time businessmen and doctors/lawyers in Singapore will enter Singapore at 5am at head off to the gym or city centre, Gardens by the Bay for a 30 min to 1 hour run to keep fit. Many ang mos do that too.

Hi everyone

Need some urgent serious help. Read many contradicting articles online so best I ask those who are doing it so now. Most articles are outdated as well.
I will be moving to JB and working in Singapore.
Daughters will be in Singapore school, morning session, so I must be at their Singapore school by 7.30am Mon-Fri
Without traffic, it took me 45mins from East Ledang to her primary school in Marine Parade.

But I need to know what time should we leave home in order to avoid traffic.
I rather leave earlier and then hang out somewhere in Singapore doing something than to be stuck in traffic.

I left 630am and we arrived 8.00am and another day arrived 8.30am

Someone told me in order to totally avoid any traffic jam at the immigration, to leave home at 4am!
is this right?

Also, how does someone from Singapore living in JB get a full-time live in housemaid?
To apply for a housemaid in Malaysia, you need a Malaysia work visa, but mine's Singapore.
To apply for a housemaid in Singapore, can the maid go in and out of SG-JB-SG using the MACS card like us?

Be good to keep this thread so we can start posting our timings to see best times to go out and get in daily.

Hope someone can truly help me out here. Thanks

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Great thread.

On weekdays, if one wants to reach work at Singapore city area at 8am, what is the latest "safest" time to leave home, assuming at East Ledang? (A bit of jam is still bearable!)

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I concur.
East Ledang is the Country Heights of Iskandar.

It is a nice exclusive and atas place. Some of the bungalows being built is really nice. But I do know of people staying there who had unwelcomed guests during their vacation time.:eek:

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
If no kids and can bear some minor jams I guess 630am is still ok but if die die want 100% safe, 6am is better

Great thread.

On weekdays, if one wants to reach work at Singapore city area at 8am, what is the latest "safest" time to leave home, assuming at East Ledang? (A bit of jam is still bearable!)

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is a nice exclusive and atas place. Some of the bungalows being built is really nice. But I do know of people staying there who had unwelcomed guests during their vacation time.:eek:
Monkey? Surrounding always have monkey king trying to claim territory.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
This morning's jam at 8:43am. Was surprised to see the long waiting time for vehicles coming to SG via the causeway!

Is it jam equally bad for the 2nd link?

As long as this issue is not cleared, it's hard for both sides to commute. And for Singaporeans to settle down in Johor!

print screen

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
This morning's jam at 8:43am. Was surprised to see the long waiting time for vehicles coming to SG via the causeway!

As long as this issue is not cleared, it's hard for both sides to commute. And for Singaporeans to settle down in Johor!

Err...... What do you mean by 'surprised'? Its a Mon morning after all. Did you expect to clear customs in 20 mins on a Monday morning?

edragon

Alfrescian
Loyal

Better not say "settle down" unless you are a PR, spouse or children of a Malaysia citizen (5years/pass) OR under MM2H program (10years/pass) besides employment pass, work permit or student pass.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Better not say "settle down" unless you are a PR, spouse or children of a Malaysia citizen (5years/pass) OR under MM2H program (10years/pass) besides employment pass, work permit or student pass.

How come can't say "settle down"? :smile:

Isn't that the future plan for some? By settle down, I mean buy a condo/house in Johor, stay there, and spend most of one's time around the area. Singapore becomes sort of a 2nd home instead.

edragon

Alfrescian
Loyal
How come can't say "settle down"? :smile:

Isn't that the future plan for some? By settle down, I mean buy a condo/house in Johor, stay there, and spend most of one's time around the area. Singapore becomes sort of a 2nd home instead.

I remember read about the maximum stay for foreigners is 180days per calendar year under the one month visit pass rule.
Also, the officers have a "right" to reject your multiple entries if entrant is not under a bona fide visit but they are ...."eye close"
Under the double taxation agreement, the 183 days stay deciding factor is another. If you stay physically more than 183days in Malaysia and do not pay Malaysia income tax by the withholding tax, you are against the law. Serious!!!
So, just be discrete.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

print screen

Tell me about it! The bike jam was horrible! More than a 1000 bikes waiting to be served by only 6 manned counters while the other 14 counters were at idle mode. Bikers were horning and booing. Time for ICA to start paying higher salaries to attract more officers.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember read about the maximum stay for foreigners is 180days per calendar year under the one month visit pass rule.
Also, the officers have a "right" to reject your multiple entries if entrant is not under a bona fide visit but they are ...."eye close"
Under the double taxation agreement, the 183 days stay deciding factor is another. If you stay physically more than 183days in Malaysia and do not pay Malaysia income tax by the withholding tax, you are against the law. Serious!!!
So, just be discrete.

But those Singaporeans who own properties in Johor and go in and out every weekday to work should be ok?

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tell me about it! The bike jam was horrible! More than a 1000 bikes waiting to be served by only 6 manned counters while the other 14 counters were at idle mode. Bikers were horning and booing. Time for ICA to start paying higher salaries to attract more officers.

That's terrible. What is ICA doing. If they know the situation has been like that, shouldn't they open more counters? They should encourage more to live in Johor to ease the human congestion and high property prices in SG!

Does it make sense for you to travel via the 2nd link at Tuas side? Less traffic there?

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
You'll face a double whammy when the gantries at the Malaysian Customs will be in operation, probably by next year. Thereafter, it will be 100% passport screening for all motorcyclists at the in/out Malaysian Customs. Currently, most Malaysian motorcyclists will just bo-chap and ride pass the Customs booths during peak hours, thus lessening the jam tremendously.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's terrible. What is ICA doing. If they know the situation has been like that, shouldn't they open more counters? They should encourage more to live in Johor to ease the human congestion and high property prices in SG!

Does it make sense for you to travel via the 2nd link at Tuas side? Less traffic there?

I tried using Tuas before....can ride and cry at same time...because also can be jammed like hell and distance to home more than doubled! :( The only good thing about Tuas side is that there is no upslope viaduct like Woodlands, so can switch off engine and push bike on flat road. At Woodlands viaduct...always must keep hands on brakes or else bike roll back, and must keep engine on because no bull strength to keep pushing uphill.:o