• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Sammyboy's List of Preferred 2017 EP Candidates

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Let Singaporeans judge and decide, because if they are good and prudent enough to elect PAP MP's, then surely they are just as good and prudent to elect a candidate whom they consider to be worthy, regardless of character and qualifications.

Wah! 你这贴的讽刺性很高 leh!

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree with you and dont see the need to impose barriers of entry for EP candidacy. There is a post gg ard the social media that Obama, Mandela and Churchill wld not have qualified to as a candidate for SG's Elected President. The proposed criteria recommended in LHL's WP make a mockery of of the EP candidacy. Let us scrutinise the WP when it is tabled in Parliament

What can Singaporeans do, other than to "scrutinise" the White paper, discuss it and wait for the PAP government to pass legislation based on what the PAP's wishes.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
What can Singaporeans do, other than to "scrutinise" the White paper, discuss it and wait for the PAP government to pass legislation based on what the PAP's wishes.

know the true motives of the pap and vote against them at the next GE. You may think that this is a motherhood statement and that Singaporeans are helpless

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please translate.
Thank you.

Aren't you being sarcastic? I don't think "good & prudent" goes along with "regardless of character and qualifications". It's an oxymoron.

In my opinion, the majority of sinkies are not "good & prudent". You think too highly of them. Or you are just being sarcastic.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Aren't you being sarcastic? I don't think "good & prudent" goes along with "regardless of character and qualifications". It's an oxymoron.

In my opinion, the majority of sinkies are not "good & prudent". You think too highly of them. Or you are just being sarcastic.

no worries.
Enjoy your day.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Singaporeans were asked in a National Referendum what the broad criteria should for an EP candidate that has custodial powers over reserves and on key appointments, I suspect that at least 90% would want someone with some level of appropriate level of experience level in a substantial role, has the gravitas, and bearing and character to act as the Head of State of the country. In essence some sort of pre-qualification or qualifying criteria but not necessarily the attributes chosen by the PAP.

The primary reason is that the country will be stuck with that person for 5 years as Head of State. Unlike an MP where there are many, a number of dud MPs elected erroneously wont harm the country much as others can carry on the show. MPs also do not have executive or custodial powers.

In India, we have movie stars as state Chief ministers and in the Philippines we have the boxer Manny Pacquio as a senator. They got elected because they are the most recognisable in their electrorate.

If its only Singapore citizen and 21 requirments, I suspect that they will be a substantial number of candidates unless the deposit amount is substantial and can be forfeited. Even a half decent candidate might drop out on the thought that votes will be thinly spread with no one getting much except the govt endorsed candidate who has the state media giving full coverage.

So the comparison between MP and EP may not be tenable.

With respect, I believe that only criteria for any individual to be a candidate for the elected President are: a Singapore citizen who was born in Singapore, and be at least 21 years old. I am confident that Singaporeans will not elect a not so qualified candidate, whatever that means. Let Singaporeans judge and decide, because if they are good and prudent enough to elect PAP MP's, then surely they are just as good and prudent to elect a candidate whom they consider to be worthy, regardless of character and qualifications.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Singaporeans were asked in a National Referendum what the broad criteria should for an EP candidate that has custodial powers over reserves and on key appointments, I suspect that at least 90% would want someone with some level of appropriate level of experience level in a substantial role, has the gravitas, and bearing and character to act as the Head of State of the country. In essence some sort of pre-qualification or qualifying criteria but not necessarily the attributes chosen by the PAP.

The primary reason is that the country will be stuck with that person for 5 years as Head of State. Unlike an MP where there are many, a number of dud MPs elected erroneously wont harm the country much as others can carry on the show. MPs also do not have executive or custodial powers.

In India, we have movie stars as state Chief ministers and in the Philippines we have the boxer Manny Pacquio as a senator. They got elected because they are the most recognisable in their electrorate.

If its only Singapore citizen and 21 requirments, I suspect that they will be a substantial number of candidates unless the deposit amount is substantial and can be forfeited. Even a half decent candidate might drop out on the thought that votes will be thinly spread with no one getting much except the govt endorsed candidate who has the state media giving full coverage.

So the comparison between MP and EP may not be tenable.

It is good to set some standard for EP candidates. But is it right to set a standard higher than what's required of a US Presidential candidate? So is pap's proposed criteria appropriate?

rover2sg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, it was a huge embarrassment for the pap. LHL thought that with a super blue chip like Tony, he wld cruise through PE 2011. LHL must have got the shock of his life on 27 Aug nite when the result was announced. Dare he now send in a less endowed candidate next year if he didnt manipulate the Constitution and change the rules and criteria. Even with the changes, if LHL is not careful, pap can still lose if a good candidate comes forward to contest against the pap

Both of you are correct. The point is how to beat the PAP at their own game?

1 Can and will Tony go for another term?

2 Can we protest by not "voting" or "destroyed" votes?

3 The opposition parties combined "fighting" in and out of parliament?

4 How could we show our displeasure otherwise?

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Both of you are correct. The point is how to beat the PAP at their own game?

1 Can and will Tony go for another term?

2 Can we protest by not "voting" or "destroyed" votes?

3 The opposition parties combined "fighting" in and out of parliament?

4 How could we show our displeasure otherwise?

Good questions.

Singaporeans have to spread the truth abt the pap so that voters will not be careless with their votes.

1. Whether Tony stands again is not so important. What we need to focus on is to defeat the pap endorsed candidate whether it is Tony, Tharman or Halimah. We need to elect an EP who will truly do his duties diligently and not just to rubber stamp a pap govt's proposal. A pap endorsed EP will be too beholden to the pap to want to check a pap govt .

2. Why not vote or destroy your vote? Not voting or a destroyed vote is a vote for the pap candidate and is a non option.

3. All Singaporeans opposing a pap endorsed candidate must unite to vote for one candidate to decisively defeat the pap candidate. Doesnt PE 2011 teach us a good lesson? Divide we fall, Unite we stand.

4. We need to be constantly aware of the hidden agenda of pap's policies and continue to speak and disseminate the truth. Singaporeans need to persevere to defeat a rouge pap for our children's future

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The die has been cast. It will only be for Malays, PAP will pick their candidate, everyone else will not qualify. It will be a walkover similar to Nathan's 2 terms. There will not be an elections to spoil your vote or show your displeasure.

The current hot debate is who is going to be the PAP's Malay candidate. The debates on qualifying criteria, EP for minority candidate, fairness, TCB as candidate etc all died after the white paper accepted the core recommendations of the commission.

rover2sg

Alfrescian
Loyal
The die has been cast. It will only be for Malays, PAP will pick their candidate, everyone else will not qualify. It will be a walkover similar to Nathan's 2 terms. There will not be an elections to spoil your vote or show your displeasure.

The current hot debate is who is going to be the PAP's Malay candidate. The debates on qualifying criteria, EP for minority candidate, fairness, TCB as candidate etc all died after the white paper accepted the core recommendations of the commission.

LOL! This is as good as not having an "elected" president. :biggrin:

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

What you said may happen. But I think it is unlikely. I dont think pap is so stupid that it will make PE 2017 a walkover for the pap candidate. That will make pap a double laughing stock.

If it is a minority PE, I still think it is gg to be engineered an that a pap candidate will contest an ex candidate eg Halimah Vs Zainul.

Hence my proposal for voters to boycott, destroy our votes and let another 33% President get elected in 2017. Twice 30+% will be a huge embarrassment

rover2sg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exactly. The whole thing is a charade.

Seriously, why go through all the trouble and charade? LKY started this in case we ran into a government formed by the "opposition" parties.

In the present situation we are not likely ever to have such a situation. We are more likely going to have a "PAP" government with "weak" leadership and arrogant incompetent "ministers".

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seriously, why go through all the trouble and charade? LKY started this in case we ran into a government formed by the "opposition" parties.

In the present situation we are not likely ever to have such a situation. We are more likely going to have a "PAP" government with "weak" leadership and arrogant incompetent "ministers".

Looks like LHL has nothing better to do. An idle mind thinks of nonsense like trying to deny TCB from being a SG Elected President