• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Sammyboy's List of Preferred 2017 EP Candidates

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
They did not want to admit that the founding father's EP idea is a flop. The Commission even suggested they go back to the previous of appointed President but this was rejected by the Govt as shown in the white paper.

So only thing left is to screw around, close every possible avenue as a stop-gap maesure. I wont be surpised that after 2 terms and people forgot about TCB, they will revert to appointed President.

Seriously, why go through all the trouble and charade? LKY started this in case we ran into a government formed by the "opposition" parties.

In the present situation we are not likely ever to have such a situation. We are more likely going to have a "PAP" government with "weak" leadership and arrogant incompetent "ministers".

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What you said may happen. But I think it is unlikely. I dont think pap is so stupid that it will make PE 2017 a walkover for the pap candidate. That will make pap a double laughing stock.

If it is a minority PE, I still think it is gg to be engineered an that a pap candidate will contest an ex candidate eg Halimah Vs Zainul

Absolutely agree and I m with u on this.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
They did not want to admit that the founding father's EP idea is a flop. The Commission even suggested they go back to the previous of appointed President but this was rejected by the Govt as shown in the white paper.

So only thing left is to screw around, close every possible avenue as a stop-gap maesure. I wont be surpised that after 2 terms and people forgot about TCB, they will revert to appointed President.

Yes, perhaps the best solution is to revert to an Appointed President.

But that wld mean that LHL has to admit that LKY and the PAP were wrong abt having an Elected President.

Does LHL have the courage to do that? Is he able to shoulder that decision? Obviously not.

So the wayang continues but in the meantime he has to deny TCB. So the silly White Paper.

It is such a waste of Parliament's precious time

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
These are some of the possible scenarios for the next elections on the basis that it will be reserved for Malay Minority candidates

Scenario 1 - 2 establishment Malay candidates - for example Halimah Yaacob and Zainul Abidin (either one wins, PAP will be happy)
1st Possible repercussion - Electrorate rebels and spoils significant amount of votes rather than vote for either candidates. This scenario embarrasses the PAP. Remember the PAP cannot blackmail or hold voters to ransom like Parliamentary elections by refusing upgrades etc.
2nd Possible repercussion - People pick one of the 2 establishment figures with little spoilt votes. Best outcome for PAP.

Scenario 2 - 1 establishment Malay candidate and one independent Malay candidate ( an independent Malay candidate is rather remote due to stringent qualifying criteria)
1st Possible repercussion - Independent wins - all that changes to EP would have come to nought
2nd Possible repercussion - Establishment wins more than 50% - PAP is happy
3rd possible repercussion - with high % of spoit votes, establishment candidate wins but below 50%, not a good outcome and claims of racism will emerge

Scenario 3 - only 1 establishment Malay candidate and no else qualifies.
Possible repercussions - Walk-over. Whether this candidate like Nathan who had 2 walk-overs is endorsed and supported by Singaporeans will never be known. Not an ideal outcome but a safe outcome for PAP.

Scenario 4 - 1 establishment candidate and 2 or more independent Malay candidates ( more remote due to stringent qualifying criteria.)
Possible repercussion - same as scenario 2.

It will be interesting with all the effort spent on the changes,

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
These are some of the possible scenarios for the next elections on the basis that it will be reserved for Malay Minority candidates

Scenario 1 - 2 establishment Malay candidates - for example Halimah Yaacob and Zainul Abidin (either one wins, PAP will be happy)
1st Possible repercussion - Electrorate rebels and spoils significant amount of votes rather than vote for either candidates. This scenario embarrasses the PAP. Remember the PAP cannot blackmail or hold voters to ransom like Parliamentary elections by refusing upgrades etc.
2nd Possible repercussion - People pick one of the 2 establishment figures with little spoilt votes. Best outcome for PAP.

Scenario 2 - 1 establishment Malay candidate and one independent Malay candidate ( an independent Malay candidate is rather remote due to stringent qualifying criteria)
1st Possible repercussion - Independent wins - all that changes to EP would have come to nought
2nd Possible repercussion - Establishment wins more than 50% - PAP is happy
3rd possible repercussion - with high % of spoit votes, establishment candidate wins but below 50%, not a good outcome and claims of racism will emerge

Scenario 3 - only 1 establishment Malay candidate and no else qualifies.
Possible repercussions - Walk-over. Whether this candidate like Nathan who had 2 walk-overs is endorsed and supported by Singaporeans will never be known. Not an ideal outcome but a safe outcome for PAP.

Scenario 4 - 1 establishment candidate and 2 or more independent Malay candidates ( more remote due to stringent qualifying criteria.)
Possible repercussion - same as scenario 2.

It will be interesting with all the effort spent on the changes,

Good scenario deliberation!

But I expect the outcome for PE 2017 will embarrass the pap like what happened in PE 2011

rover2sg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Voters can show pap who is boss by putting crosses on all candidates' boxes...spoilt votes

I would not even bother to vote. Would it be compulsory? :biggrin:

BTW - Tony won by exactly how many votes? What is the total number of eligible voters? Technically, Nathan won by zero number of votes!

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If Singaporeans were asked in a National Referendum what the broad criteria should for an EP candidate that has custodial powers over reserves and on key appointments, I suspect that at least 90% would want someone with some level of appropriate level of experience level in a substantial role, has the gravitas, and bearing and character to act as the Head of State of the country. In essence some sort of pre-qualification or qualifying criteria but not necessarily the attributes chosen by the PAP.

The primary reason is that the country will be stuck with that person for 5 years as Head of State. Unlike an MP where there are many, a number of dud MPs elected erroneously wont harm the country much as others can carry on the show. MPs also do not have executive or custodial powers.

In India, we have movie stars as state Chief ministers and in the Philippines we have the boxer Manny Pacquio as a senator. They got elected because they are the most recognisable in their electrorate.

If its only Singapore citizen and 21 requirments, I suspect that they will be a substantial number of candidates unless the deposit amount is substantial and can be forfeited. Even a half decent candidate might drop out on the thought that votes will be thinly spread with no one getting much except the govt endorsed candidate who has the state media giving full coverage.

So the comparison between MP and EP may not be tenable.

I agree.
A few significant requirements.
The electorate should be able to ignore the less than qualified candidates.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would not even bother to vote. Would it be compulsory? :biggrin:

BTW - Tony won by exactly how many votes? What is the total number of eligible voters? Technically, Nathan won by zero number of votes!

It is compulsory. I will vote but if it is two pap candidates, I will put two crosses on the ballot paper so as to spoil the vote