• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Sammyboy's List of Preferred 2017 EP Candidates

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal
The pap has narrowed the group to such a limit that those who stand are pro pap and will only serve to hinder and obstruct an opposition govt and render it difficult to function.

But TCB shows that Singapore still has singaporeans who will come in when SG is in dire straits. Those who come to my mind are Ngiam, Liew, David Lim and Lim Siong Guan. These are stalwats who have seen the best of the pap and know that this present pap just cant make it

The elected presidency is created as a"counter-check" on the government and based on it, whoever stands as a candidate in a multi-person race as best able to oppose government tends to have more interest from voters.

The designers of this system did not even realise that they are asking the local populace to vote for the one with the tendency to oppose most. Then they try to filter with all the criteria only to have members within the elite who step out of line and want to try their luck at million-dollar job with "prestige". Tell me if this job only pays peanuts, who would any one of these want to try??

Now this review is nothing but a tinkering of how to deal with those from among themselves in MIW who wants a highly paid job but do not have the stamp of approval from the power-to-be.

Anybody in MIW should know the hidden codes of what to do and say - any candidate must have the blessings and go-ahead. This system does not tolerate mavericks.

TCB is a maverick - he also knows the limits by now given his current statements and seriously, there is no way he will fight on to his peril.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am curious y the hassle of shifting the goal posts to such narrow girth to extent of shoehorning a mat into office.

I mean if they need to trim the sails to prevent another TJS / TCB, well understood. Y bend the pE to such extent to load so heavily on the Malay ? They have been making a lot of noise recently ?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Initially I thought they were going to tinker with qualifying criteria to make it easy for the minority to make it. In fact they made it much more harder to be eligible for the minorities with their raised Qualifying criteria. Instead the pool will come from ex political and public service appointees plus every 6th election must be a minority candidate from Malay or Indian/Eurasian if they have not filled the role in the previous 5 EP.

Anyway the powers are so diluted even if they have Primary 6 school kid, the office is basically useless.

I am curious y the hassle of shifting the goal posts to such narrow girth to extent of shoehorning a mat into office.

I mean if they need to trim the sails to prevent another TJS / TCB, well understood. Y bend the pE to such extent to load so heavily on the Malay ? They have been making a lot of noise recently ?

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Initially I thought they were going to tinker with qualifying criteria to make it easy for the minority to make it. In fact they made it much more harder to be eligible for the minorities with their raised Qualifying criteria. Instead the pool will come from ex political and public service appointees plus every 6th election must be a minority candidate from Malay or Indian/Eurasian if they have not filled the role in the previous 5 EP.

Anyway the powers are so diluted even if they have Primary 6 school kid, the office is basically useless.

The pap is stuck with a monkey they birthed. The monkey is growing into a vicious gorilla which may come to bite the pap

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

LHL is not sharp enough to realise the joke and damage he has done by tinkering with the Constitution just because he is afraid of TCB coming in next year

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
The elected presidency is created as a"counter-check" on the government and based on it, whoever stands as a candidate in a multi-person race as best able to oppose government tends to have more interest from voters.

The designers of this system did not even realise that they are asking the local populace to vote for the one with the tendency to oppose most. Then they try to filter with all the criteria only to have members within the elite who step out of line and want to try their luck at million-dollar job with "prestige". Tell me if this job only pays peanuts, who would any one of these want to try??

Now this review is nothing but a tinkering of how to deal with those from among themselves in MIW who wants a highly paid job but do not have the stamp of approval from the power-to-be.

Anybody in MIW should know the hidden codes of what to do and say - any candidate must have the blessings and go-ahead. This system does not tolerate mavericks.

TCB is a maverick - he also knows the limits by now given his current statements and seriously, there is no way he will fight on to his peril.

The creator of the EP didnt foresee that it is a double edged sword which can be used on the pap too

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think that saying that Malays need to be represented is the best available excuse to disqualify TCB.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Tarmuggi and Yaacob are not malay enough. Putting them up as PAP's EP candidate may incur the Malay's wrath. Why wld LHL want to risk that?

Why not? They may have married non-Malays, but those non-Malays converted to Islam. In retrospect, they gained new converts for the muslim community. I think they both should be given medals instead for their contributions to Islam. Either of them would make a better candidate from the malay-muslim community than some pure-bred m&d that did not win a non-muslim soul for Islam.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why not? They may have married non-Malays, but those non-Malays converted to Islam. In retrospect, they gained new converts for the muslim community. I think they both should be given medals instead for their contributions to Islam. Either of them would make a better candidate from the malay-muslim community than some pure-bred m&d that did not win a non-muslim soul for Islam.

That's one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at it is that they have "diluted" themselves by marrying non-malays and they are less pure

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
I nominate Chen Show Mao.

Yes, good nomination. Tks

Sammyboy's Preferred 2017 EP Candidates.

1. Tan Cheng Bock - doctor
2. Ngiam Tow Dong - PS
3. Liew Heng San - PS
4. David Lim - Chairman, Jurong International
5. Ho Kwon Ping - Chairman, Banyan Tree
6. Peter Lim - Owner - Valencia
7. Sim Wong Hoo - Creative Technology
8. Lim Siong Guan - PS
9. Liew Mun Hong - CEO, Capital Land
10. Tommy Koh
11. S Dhanabalan - Chairman, SIA, Temasek Holdings
12. Chen Show Mao - Managing Partner, Davis Polk & Wardwell

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Zainal and Halimah should be the 'ang behs' in this race.

Halimah has an advantage. She has a CB. PAP will then tell the whole world that in Sinkieland, a female from a minority race can make it to the very top.

I don't see the other Mat chaps involved in this race.

If Indian, Dhana has to be the 'ang beh.'

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sinkies will surprise everyone by giving PAP's endorsed candidate the mandate.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

LOL! This ckmpd cunt is either a delusional nut case or a PAP shill trying to give daft opposition cocksuckers a false glimmer of hope in sinkieland.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Zainal and Halimah should be the 'ang behs' in this race.

Halimah has an advantage. She has a CB. PAP will then tell the whole world that in Sinkieland, a female from a minority race can make it to the very top.

I don't see the other Mat chaps involved in this race.

If Indian, Dhana has to be the 'ang beh.'

Dont rule out Tharman

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This matter is about appearance because:

1. The PAP has had a very significant majority in the Singapore Parliament for decades, and as the ruling government with more than 75 per cent majority, they have been making amendments to the Constitution, as and when they desired. Accordingly, logically and ethically, they should not make any amendments to the Constitution without a national referendum. Their argument or rebuttal is probably that Singaporeans have always voted for the PAP to form the government, and at the most recent general elections, with an increased overall percentage of votes and more PAP MP's. (Now, I hope Singaporeans will understand the significance and implications of denying the PAP or any government, a 75 per cent majority in the Parliament).

2. In the past, the PAP considered that an elected President will act as the check and balance against any potential government which is not formed by the PAP. Recently, the PAP believes that an elected President did not give a Singaporean, who is non-Chinese, an equal chance to be elected as President. Did the PAP forget that their "chosen and preferred candidate" who was returned unopposed for two terms (12 years, which is way too long, because I believe that six years is sufficient, or a maximum of two 4-year terms), S.R. Nathan is definitely non-Chinese, and looks and sounds like one. I also believe that notwithstanding that he met the then requirements, with respect, he may not have been exposed to, and had to deal / resolve issues within the jurisdiction and decision making required of a CEO or Chairman of a major corporation. With respect, what glory, honour, prestige and pomp did he bring and/or add to the Presidency, in exchange for the very excessive annual compensation that Singapore paid him.

3. If the PAP wish to entrench its desires for the good and future of Singaporeans (which they claimed), then, it might as well, revert to an appointed President. After all, in the recommendations of the Commission, the proposals, and the government White Paper, the apparent powers of the Elected President may be subject to an override by the Parliament and the Council of Presidential Advisers.

With respect, I believe that only criteria for any individual to be a candidate for the elected President are: a Singapore citizen who was born in Singapore, and be at least 21 years old. I am confident that Singaporeans will not elect a not so qualified candidate, whatever that means. Let Singaporeans judge and decide, because if they are good and prudent enough to elect PAP MP's, then surely they are just as good and prudent to elect a candidate whom they consider to be worthy, regardless of character and qualifications.

Last edited:

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
This matter is about appearance because:

1. The PAP has had a very significant majority in the Singapore Parliament for decades, and as the ruling government with more than 75 per cent majority, they have been making amendments to the Constitution, as and when they desired. Accordingly, logically and ethically, they should not make any amendments to the Constitution without a national referendum. Their argument or rebuttal is probably that Singaporeans have always voted for the PAP to form the government, and at the most recent general elections, with an increased overall percentage of votes and more PAP MP's.

2. In the past, the PAP considered that an elected President will act as the check and balance against any potential government which is not formed by the PAP. Recently, the PAP believes that an elected President did not give a Singaporean, who is non-Chinese, an equal chance to be elected as President. Did the PAP forget that their "chosen and preferred candidate" who was returned unopposed for two terms (12 years, which way too long), S.R. Nathan is definitely non-Chinese, and looks and sounds like one. I also believe that notwithstanding that he met the then requirements, with respect, he may not have been exposed to, and had to deal / resolve issues within the jurisdiction and decision making required of a CEO or Chairman of a major corporation.

3. If the PAP wish to entrench its desires for the good and future of Singaporeans (which they claimed), then, it might as well, revert to an appointed President. After all, in the recommendations of the Commission, the proposals, and the government White Paper, the apparent powers of the Elected President may be subject to an override by the Parliament and the Council of Presidential Advisers.

With respect, I believe that only criteria for any individual to be a candidate for the elected President are: a Singapore citizen who was born in Singapore, and be at least 21 years old. I am confident that Singaporeans will not elect a not so qualified candidate, whatever that means. Let Singaporeans judge and decide, because if they are good and prudent enough to elect PAP MP's, then surely they are just as good and prudent to elect a candidate whom they consider to be worthy, regardless of character and qualifications.

I agree with you and dont see the need to impose barriers of entry for EP candidacy. There is a post gg ard the social media that Obama, Mandela and Churchill wld not have qualified to as a candidate for SG's Elected President. The proposed criteria recommended in LHL's WP make a mockery of of the EP candidacy. Let us scrutinise the WP when it is tabled in Parliament