• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Recommended books

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
In a bid to upskill myself, I have decided to read one book a month. I intend to read widely on a range of topics, both fiction and non-fiction. What are some of your favourite books that you esteemed forummers would recommend?

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In a bid to upskill myself, I have decided to read one book a month. I intend to read widely on a range of topics, both fiction and non-fiction
Good intention, but imho it's too 'broad'. Upskill as in any interest areas? For some, it's kamasutra :p:biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Best advice for fiction is the go down the list of Pulitzer Prize and Booker Prize winners over the years. Many of them have become classics over time. Just print out the list and go to the library and pick them out.

For Non-fiction, there are number of genres. Politics, Mankind, etc. Try this book by Jared Diamond - Guns, Germs and Steel which covers a number of genres. Silent Spring by Rachel Carson is a classic. Malcolm Gladwell's books are popular but there have been questions raised about them. Bill Bryson is light and easy going. Naomi Klein is another but on social issues. Double Helix is another, set to be a classic.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In a bid to upskill myself, I have decided to read one book a month. I intend to read widely on a range of topics, both fiction and non-fiction. What are some of your favourite books that you esteemed forummers would recommend?

Better be more specific. 龙唬报 and playboy also can up skill. :p

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good intention, but imho it's too 'broad'. Upskill as in any interest areas? For some, it's kamasutra :p:biggrin:

Thankfully no need kamasutra yet.

Maybe finance, sports, history for now.

I know I am late to the party but I am reading Freakonomics this month.

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Best advice for fiction is the go down the list of Pulitzer Prize and Booker Prize winners over the years. Many of them have become classics over time. Just print out the list and go to the library and pick them out.

For Non-fiction, there are number of genres. Politics, Mankind, etc. Try this book by Jared Diamond - Guns, Germs and Steel which covers a number of genres. Silent Spring by Rachel Carson is a classic. Malcolm Gladwell's books are popular but there have been questions raised about them. Bill Bryson is light and easy going. Naomi Klein is another but on social issues. Double Helix is another, set to be a classic.

Cheers scroobal. I will have a look at your suggestions. The book by Jared Diamond sounds interesting. I hope to graduate to 2 or 3 month soon.

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
女朋友 男朋友

maxresdefault.jpg

jw5

Loyal

"The Fan Club" by Irving Wallace. :wink:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe finance, sports, history for now.I am late to the party but I am reading Freakonomics this month.
Just a suggestion. As a noob, can always start on magazines on finance, sports (you'll be spoilt for choice) -before or whilst starting on books. For economics and finance related, the authoritative Economist is ok.

yangtzejiang

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sorry slightly off track, but just FYI:

u can use the app "overdrive" to get access to NLB's entire e-book collection. Got audio books too. All FREE