• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat President - Recommended Changes

rover2sg

Alfrescian
Loyal
regarding Para 5, I believe that there should be a "grandfather" clause which should allow prior candidates to be eligible.

A good idea IF we are dealing with the truth of he matter.
HOWEVER, this "Commission" is part of the wayang, the members were selected just to convey what current political wants.

All a total waste of time and good money.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
No. 5 in the report did not have much substantive discussion or a reason behind it in the report. They also did not speculate if the non-executive chairman was a previous oversight and they were recommending correction. Love to be the fly on the wall to see who raised it and the discussion behind it. Though in the report somewhere it does mention that they are not keen to confine it to technocrats ( not in relation to this change) but this is what is going to be achieved. Also interesting is that both Auditor and Acct Generals are out which would have made the first EP candidate that stood against OTC not eligible. I however agree on this seeing that new Auditor-General is not even an accountant or an auditor by training and rather shallow in terms of depth.

Its funny that the Commission feels that the President needs to have a mandate in view of the powers given but you could see that they avoided discussing or eve mentioning the the original and primary role of checks and balances of an EP. Instead the discussion was on "pragmatism", reduce possible conflicts and by-pass mechanism to reduce impasse. I could understand a by-pass for supply bill which was in first EP bill but certainly not for others.

I do agree that an EP is not longer viable and people would accept the role that Wee had where it was nominated, the main races were covered and it was generally ceremonial and served the function of uniting the people (which the report belabours quite extensively). As to the reserves and certain protective functions, these can be handled by the CPA and their views published in the Gazette.

The whole EP institution would have egg on its face if the minority candidate persuaded by the establishment ends up with a walk-over if others with intention do not qualify or get rejected. Even if there is a reserved Malay EP elections which would be the case for the next election and there is actually a contest, a number of scenarios is likely to emerge;

1) If the Malays themselves reject the establishment choice it is very likely the Chinese majority would go for the establishment choice guided by the usual state controlled press and not privy to the communal concerns of the Malays. It then defeats the whole purpose of minority representation. A more transparent approach would be to allow only Malay voters to decide.

2) What is a "Malay" would be the next big issue. When Mahathir made an issue of Malays not holding senior positions in SAF, the Govt presented couple of Malay SAF senior officers and none of whom were pure Malays. The highest rank held by a "Malay" was BG and he was not a Malay, just a Muslim but a damn good Officer. And he had a Chinese wife.

Number 5 will be the one most talked about. This is how accurately they have fine-tuned it. Every non-establishment anointed person who has a chance of winning an election is disqualified, except for that one person who is unelectable. I don't know whether they achieved this by pure luck or by pure genius but given the obvious lack of brain cells I am of course leaning to the former.

Number 6 is to me the most important. It shows complete insincerity in sharing any power - even limited custodial power (Executive power has been, and always will be, OUT of the question) - with the President. Yes, truly a lame duck. Why even bother to have an EP? Why all the charade and the expensive election process just to maintain a facade of an autonomous President?

Last edited:

rover2sg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Report from Commission released. Here is the summary of recommendations

1) EP is reserved for minority candidate if no minority candidate for 5 previous terms
2) 2 categories of minority candidates (1) Malay and (2) Indian and others
3) Minority candidate must meet the same qualifying criteria
4) Qualifying criteria raised - harder to qualify
5) Tan Cheng Bock, Tan Jee Say no longer qualify but Tan Kin Lian (the one who lost his deposit) does
6) Parliament can override EP if EP does not follow advice of CPA - Council of Presidential Advisors (truly lame duck EP)

If the whole gimmick is to "elect" someone akin to the current "president", the whole wayang if a totally waste of time. What "safeguards" has he been doing? Just enjoying good "holidays" and "meeting and having dinners" with truly important people to include in his record.:biggrin:

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Added Para 7, the Nation will listen to the erected President singing, I'm your Puppet by Elton John every NDP.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans in the main know what the results are going to be. The interest and speculation is how creative and devious the members of these bodies come-up or conjure the ways and means to give a semblance of professionalism and independence. No where in the report does it say why an EP is important to have the checks and balances in the event of a rogue govt - which was and is the entire reason for the EP in the first place and change to the constitution. Instead the report went into pragmatism, efficiency, and protection of the function of the executive without even they realising it that it also protects a rogue govt.

What the COI was formed for the Mas Selamat escape, they said they will form an Independent body but nevertheless appointed a Dep Sec of MHA to sit on it. They could easily have picked a Dep Sec from any other ministry but they did not. We all knew that it will spin a tail and they delivered a "confluence of factors" verdict despite it involving one individual and one event in a confined space of time.

If the whole gimmick is to "elect" someone akin to the current "president", the whole wayang if a totally waste of time. What "safeguards" has he been doing? Just enjoying good "holidays" and "meeting and having dinners" with truly important people to include in his record.:biggrin:

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
6) Parliament can override EP if EP does not follow advice of CPA - Council of Presidential Advisors (truly lame duck EP)

The EP runs for elections but the CPA does not, yet the EP have to follow all the orders of the CPA. Wow, the CPA is even more powerful than the EP, and PAP can simply use the CPA to control the EP like a puppet.

The CPA does not have the peoples' mandate yet is even more powerful than the EP, why should there even be an president election?? There should be a CPA election for the people instead as the CPA is more powerful.

This whole EP crap is one big sham by PAP to hoodwink the people.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here is something interesting, based on the recommended changes.

The following ex-Presidents would not qualify
1) Yusoff Ishak - even after consider inflation, his business would not have hit the $500m mark for shareholder equity
2) Sheares - certainly not
3) Wee Kim Wee - certainly not
4) Devan Nair - certainly not as NTUC was not a minister grade post then

Only OTC and Nathan would qualify. One a member of the ruing party and the other a known voluntary enforcer of the ruling party as he did not have take on the role of Chairman, Straits Times. He was already retied and did not need the money.

Honestly who do you think would qualify for such a role. A retired Sr Civil Servant who is feels duty bound and persuaded, a former cabinet minister or SGX listed company CEO on retirement. The pool is very small if any when it comes to independence, respect and gravitas.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's democracy ...if sinkees wish to vote in a hawker to be president, why not? Voters will pay the price for their decision. We don't need some so called scholars to tell us who to vote to be president.

If they could they would even do away with elections. That's vile pap for you

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Voting for a bicycle thief strategy against a PAP endorsed candidate is a foregone conclusion after 2011 and what has been going on since. The only trouble is that a bicycle thief would not qualify and Tan Kin Lian would not be able to run for the next one as it will certainly be slated for the Malay minority category candidate and Tan Kin Lian would be not meet the 15 year time frame for the elections thereafter.

I'll vote for Tan Kin Lian! Fuck you PAP!

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Number 6 is to me the most important. It shows complete insincerity in sharing any power - even limited custodial power (Executive power has been, and always will be, OUT of the question) - with the President. Yes, truly a lame duck. Why even bother to have an EP? Why all the charade and the expensive election process just to maintain a facade of an autonomous President?

I always thought the President has the independent power to hold the 2nd key to our reserves. After reading the news, it sound so lame to me now. The PAP is holding the main key and the PE is holding another, with PAP gun pointing at his head.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'll vote for Kin Lian, at least he has Boss's twitching eyes!

The reason Tan Kin Lian qualify is because he was a former CEO of a GLC (NTUC Income), PAP have shifted the goalposts so far out that mainly PAP govt office holders and GLC CEOs qualify to contest for EP.

I wouldn't mind voting for Tan Kin Lian, he's not beholden to PAP and has shown to be independent and not afraid to voice out against PAP policies.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The reason Tan Kin Lian qualify is because he was a former CEO of a GLC (NTUC Income), PAP have shifted the goalposts so far out that mainly PAP govt office holders and GLC CEOs qualify to contest for EP.

I wouldn't mind voting for Tan Kin Lian, he's not beholden to PAP and has shown to be independent and not afraid to voice out against PAP policies.

He qualified because PAP see him no-up and presumed his winning percentage will not improve much compared to his previous showing.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why so much wayang ? Waste so much taxpayers money, time and resources to elect a puppet president.
Might as well as appoint/approve a president among a selected few as what the Chinese Communist Party do.
Might as well increase the criteria to $1 billion shareholders' equity so that only PAP lackeys and yes-men are
qualified to stand for the EP.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Best quote of the day on this PAP farce comes from non other than LTK:

" At the end of the day, who is qualified to stand as a candidate? It has to be from the Government, right? So who are they checking? Who is checking whom?"

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?* Who watches the watchmen?

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
Best quote of the day on this PAP farce comes from non other than LTK:

" At the end of the day, who is qualified to stand as a candidate? It has to be from the Government, right? So who are they checking? Who is checking whom?"

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?* Who watches the watchmen?

In theory the EP role is suppose to be an independent check on the PAP govt, but in reality the EP has degenerated into a puppet and lackey for PAP to do whatever they want. The EP election has become a sham to hoodwink Sinkies of imaginary checks and balances.

TvphsB1.gif

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I always thought the President has the independent power to hold the 2nd key to our reserves. After reading the news, it sound so lame to me now. The PAP is holding the main key and the PE is holding another, with PAP gun pointing at his head.

It is all one big wayang when the CPA is govt appointed and the EP has to follow the recommendation of the CPA. It shows the govt has never been truthful about wanting independent safeguards. So the question is why go though all the trouble of having an EP when the previous ceremonial appointment president system was working fine