• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat President - Recommended Changes

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now that they are almost done with criteria of EP, it's time to apply the same to Elected PM position since it is ultimately impact every citizen's life.

Besides the criteria, it should include:
A). Next PM cannot have blood relation or by way of marriage, or in any way related.
B). Maximum 2 term as PM. This is same as in many countries like US, Taiwan, etc.

I like to hear what justifications (read as 'excuses') the Lee clan will give to avoid the same requirement for an EP. And I will not hold my breath waiting for it. Nothing short of a coup will a change happen.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here is something interesting, based on the recommended changes.

Honestly who do you think would qualify for such a role. A retired Sr Civil Servant who is feels duty bound and persuaded, a former cabinet minister or SGX listed company CEO on retirement. The pool is very small if any when it comes to independence, respect and gravitas.

Sorry I don't read MsM's articles on such craps unless I need to pump up my heart pressure a few psi up!

Just basing on your key points, a main name pops up. Does Ho Jink makes the grade to be EP?

Not that a mere $3-4million means anything to her currently rumored US$30-40 million a year with absolutely no responsibility other than holidaying whenever CNA travels on tax payers' expense, no point earn so much on a sinking ship right, in case kena face the People's Court if luck not on her side? Might as well be a rubber stamper guarding a empty vault, with pensions to kick for life?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
In a way I am disappointed with Menon. I think he could have done much better than this. I can see that Commission had made an attempt to reinforce the CPA where the current qualifying criteria is laughable - at least 35 yrs old, Singapore Citizens and resident in Singapore without any disqualifications. However they merely recommended that it is composition carries experts that handle breath and depth of issues in order to advise the President plus integrity, and the usual character blah, blah etc.

Its odd that qualifying requirements are so high but that for CPA is amazingly low. Arguing that the Govt, the President, PSC Chairman and CJ will pick the right qualified persons does not hold water.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
In a way I am disappointed with Menon. I think he could have done much better than this.

Not surprised.

Menon just following in footsteps of his very first senior law firm partner. Both are amongst the most briliant legal minds in Singapore....but......also tells you why on the otherhand another one of those most brilliant legal minds probably decided he could not go 'all the way' and hence rests peacefully at night nowadays with a clear conscience.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
May explain why the need to seek god like Lim Siong Guan an Gan Kim Yong.

Not surprised.

Menon just following in footsteps of his very first senior law firm partner. Both are amongst the most briliant legal minds in Singapore....but......also tells you why on the otherhand another one of those most brilliant legal minds probably decided he could not go 'all the way' and hence rests peacefully at night nowadays with a clear conscience.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/politic...-panels-excellent-recommendation-to-return-to

Published 08 Sep 2016

In a Facebook post on Thursday (Sept 8), Mr Tan, a candidate in the 2011 presidential election, wrote: "The Constitutional Commission has recommended, as an option, a return to the appointed President to carry out ceremonial function. The custodial function is to be handled by a body of experts that acts as a second chamber in our governance.

"This is an excellent recommendation. I agree with it," said Mr Tan, 68.

Tan Kin Lian
08 Sep 2016

The Constitutional Commission has recommended, as an option, a return to the appointed President to carry out ceremonial function. The custoial function is to be handled by a body of experts that acts as a second chamber in our governance.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/…/constitution…/3105238.html…

This is an excellent recommendation. I agree with it.

I disagree with the argument put forward by PM Lee against this recommendation. I hope that he will change his mind.

We have already wasted too much resources and energy in trying to develop the "elected president" system. It was a badly conceived idea in the first place. We should recognize that it will never work and go back to the previous system, with the modification suggested by the commission.

The commission's report, which was released on Wednesday, proposed that the Government consider "unbundling" the two functions as a way to resolve the tension between the symbolic and custodial roles of the President.

By doing away with elections and having Parliament appoint the head of state, it said the President could focus on the historic role of being a symbolic, unifying figure for the nation.

A group of appointed experts would then take over the President's custodial role of safeguarding the reserves and the integrity of the Public Service.

This suggestion was first mooted by Raffles Medical Group executive chairman Loo Choon Yong and his brother, lawyer Choon Chiaw, during a public hearing held by the commission in May.

However, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has said it would be difficult for a President to exercise custodial powers, and veto proposals by the Government, without an electoral mandate.

ginbitchy

Alfrescian
Loyal
With the changes implemented or soon to be implemented, GMS would not stand a chance to be our EP. What a waste !

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
................In many countries with weak rule of law, the most common reason why elections do not meet international standards of being "free and fair" is interference from the incumbent government...............
Problems that prevent an election from being "free and fair" take various forms.....

Lack of open political debate or an informed electorate
The electorate may be poorly informed about issues or candidates due to lack of freedom of the press, lack of objectivity in the press due to state or corporate control, and/or lack of access to news and political media. Freedom of speech may be curtailed by the state, favoring certain viewpoints or state propaganda.

Unfair rules
Gerrymandering, exclusion of opposition candidates from eligibility for office, and manipulating thresholds for electoral success are some of the ways the structure of an election can be changed to favor a specific faction or candidate................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Election

Most important is that there must be free and fair elections for there to be legitimacy.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, she would - senior most exe plus over $500 stakeholder equity.

Sorry I don't read MsM's articles on such craps unless I need to pump up my heart pressure a few psi up!

Just basing on your key points, a main name pops up. Does Ho Jink makes the grade to be EP?

Not that a mere $3-4million means anything to her currently rumored US$30-40 million a year with absolutely no responsibility other than holidaying whenever CNA travels on tax payers' expense, no point earn so much on a sinking ship right, in case kena face the People's Court if luck not on her side? Might as well be a rubber stamper guarding a empty vault, with pensions to kick for life?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No. 5 in the report did not have much substantive discussion or a reason behind it in the report. They also did not speculate if the non-executive chairman was a previous oversight and they were recommending correction. Love to be the fly on the wall to see who raised it and the discussion behind it. Though in the report somewhere it does mention that they are not keen to confine it to technocrats ( not in relation to this change) but this is what is going to be achieved. Also interesting is that both Auditor and Acct Generals are out which would have made the first EP candidate that stood against OTC not eligible. I however agree on this seeing that new Auditor-General is not even an accountant or an auditor by training and rather shallow in terms of depth.

Its funny that the Commission feels that the President needs to have a mandate in view of the powers given but you could see that they avoided discussing or eve mentioning the the original and primary role of checks and balances of an EP. Instead the discussion was on "pragmatism", reduce possible conflicts and by-pass mechanism to reduce impasse. I could understand a by-pass for supply bill which was in first EP bill but certainly not for others.

I do agree that an EP is not longer viable and people would accept the role that Wee had where it was nominated, the main races were covered and it was generally ceremonial and served the function of uniting the people (which the report belabours quite extensively). As to the reserves and certain protective functions, these can be handled by the CPA and their views published in the Gazette.

The whole EP institution would have egg on its face if the minority candidate persuaded by the establishment ends up with a walk-over if others with intention do not qualify or get rejected. Even if there is a reserved Malay EP elections which would be the case for the next election and there is actually a contest, a number of scenarios is likely to emerge;

1) If the Malays themselves reject the establishment choice it is very likely the Chinese majority would go for the establishment choice guided by the usual state controlled press and not privy to the communal concerns of the Malays. It then defeats the whole purpose of minority representation. A more transparent approach would be to allow only Malay voters to decide.

2) What is a "Malay" would be the next big issue. When Mahathir made an issue of Malays not holding senior positions in SAF, the Govt presented couple of Malay SAF senior officers and none of whom were pure Malays. The highest rank held by a "Malay" was BG and he was not a Malay, just a Muslim but a damn good Officer. And he had a Chinese wife.

Really?
That BG (I....) is not a Malay, and has a Chinese wife?

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is all one big wayang when the CPA is govt appointed and the EP has to follow the recommendation of the CPA. It shows the govt has never been truthful about wanting independent safeguards. So the question is why go though all the trouble of having an EP when the previous ceremonial appointment president system was working fine

The husband wants his wife to continue raiding this country reserves without any question.
Singaporeans have the rights to know where and how much LKY family is hiding their assets. This EP thing is madness.

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal
In a way I am disappointed with Menon. I think he could have done much better than this. I can see that Commission had made an attempt to reinforce the CPA where the current qualifying criteria is laughable - at least 35 yrs old, Singapore Citizens and resident in Singapore without any disqualifications. However they merely recommended that it is composition carries experts that handle breath and depth of issues in order to advise the President plus integrity, and the usual character blah, blah etc.

Its odd that qualifying requirements are so high but that for CPA is amazingly low. Arguing that the Govt, the President, PSC Chairman and CJ will pick the right qualified persons does not hold water.

I tend to have a good view of Menon and his predecessor coz at least, they tried to improve the rule of law in terms of justice. Over here, I feel for his position and anybody being put in that position will do what he needs to do. Let him be.

Always amused why one wants to get Singaporeans to have a "choice" yet ask them to choose what they have "chosen". Is that not another version of "appointed" presidency? Spare the trouble and go back to the old system. You save some money, and donate it to charity, and in so doing, one can do away with the yearly President Charity Show :-p

My only concern is that they let Tan Kin Lian have another stab at presidency? Are they not worried about protest votes going to him like what happens to Chua Kim Yeow whose only 2 pathetic TV broadcasts garner a 40% vote bank.

After allowing the other 2 Tans from opposition camp to have a chance at presidency, it is now to deny them this chance. I always wonder why these folks are so "hard up" for this job and cannot help but think money of millions is a strong motivating factor :-p

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP should just stop pretending to be democratic ...go back to Lee CONs You style, now being adopted by Kazakhstan

[video=youtube;z6KOYAK1fdk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6KOYAK1fdk[/video]

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
regarding Para 5, I believe that there should be a "grandfather" clause which should allow prior candidates to be eligible.

The next change to take place soon shall be............

Reserve slot for Female Present since we are gender neutral society
She must hv experience in hanoing managed more than 100 billion dollars
Graduated from NJC and won a President Scholarship

Remote?
Hardly................ the time will come as with the tweaking we are seeing, nothing is impossible

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I tend to have a good view of Menon and his predecessor coz at least, they tried to improve the rule of law in terms of justice. Over here, I feel for his position and anybody being put in that position will do what he needs to do. Let him be.

Always amused why one wants to get Singaporeans to have a "choice" yet ask them to choose what they have "chosen". Is that not another version of "appointed" presidency? Spare the trouble and go back to the old system. You save some money, and donate it to charity, and in so doing, one can do away with the yearly President Charity Show :-p

My only concern is that they let Tan Kin Lian have another stab at presidency? Are they not worried about protest votes going to him like what happens to Chua Kim Yeow whose only 2 pathetic TV broadcasts garner a 40% vote bank.

After allowing the other 2 Tans from opposition camp to have a chance at presidency, it is now to deny them this chance. I always wonder why these folks are so "hard up" for this job and cannot help but think money of millions is a strong motivating factor :-p

if LHL shove it down our throat, letz either boycott the election or void our votes............ a minority Prez returned with, say 20 percent votes is a laughing stock of the world
Fuck PAP n LHL

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Report from Commission released. Here is the summary of recommendations

1) EP is reserved for minority candidate if no minority candidate for 5 previous terms
2) 2 categories of minority candidates (1) Malay and (2) Indian and others
3) Minority candidate must meet the same qualifying criteria
4) Qualifying criteria raised - harder to qualify
5) Tan Cheng Bock, Tan Jee Say no longer qualify but Tan Kin Lian (the one who lost his deposit) does
6) Parliament can override EP if EP does not follow advice of CPA - Council of Presidential Advisors (truly lame duck EP)

making the changes smells of getting rid of the two torns by clear design....... one is 500 million hurdle n two the 6 yr upscale
plus straight away bring two under qualified Melayu Halimah n Abdullah (hope his heart needs cutting again...... life was too easy for him as Minister

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re item 6, if say a rogue govt of the day decide to transfer country's reserve to their own party before they are being voted out, EP objected against the advise of the CPA (who were appointed by the PM(?) of govt, CPA inform parliament, aka govt of the day, and parliament override the EP and proceed to do what they wanted to do???

Tell me again purpose of EP, assuming he/she knows the value he/she is guarding!

excuse me........ we already hv a rogue govt. In fact a steamrollerand traitorous one