• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat 2 top JC students (RJC) commit suicide

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/distress-signal

Distress signal

Last month, two JC students killed themselves. Experts are seeing more teens over exam stress

Sep 4, 2016 6:00am

By CATHERINE ROBERT,Phyllis Lee

It has been making the rounds online.
Two students from a top junior college (JC), with everything ahead of them, decided life for them was over last month.
And within 10 days of each other, both took their own lives.
They were A-level students, one in the first year and the other in second year.
What is worrying, say the experts, is that they have seen an increase in the number of students sharing the same disturbing thoughts.
"I've had a few come to me and tell me they want to kill themselves (because they cannot cope)", says Dr Thomas Lee, a psychiatrist from Resilienz Clinic.
He has 10 such patients now, twice the number from five years ago.
"It is actually quite common that these students get suicidal thoughts," he says.
One of his patients had suicidal thoughts and was close to giving up when his school counsellor recommended he seek professional help.
He was in his second year of JC.
Dr Lee says: "(That patient) was one of those students who did well in secondary school but saw his grades deteriorate after he gained entry into a reputable JC.
"Part of his depressive condition came from the embarrassment that he wasn't doing as well as his peers, and it didn't help that he didn't have a strong support system at home.
"After he scraped through his first year, he thought it would somehow get better the year after but it didn't."
His suicidal thoughts persisted for months, Dr Lee says, but with prescribed medication and psychotherapy, he eventually improved.
Last year, 27 children aged between 10 and 19 ended their lives, according to figures from the Samaritans of Singapore. It is the highest for the age group in 15 years.
In 2014, it was 13 suicides for the same age group.
Why they killed themselves was not specified in the report.
But several clinics here say they have seen an increase in students in that age group seeking help - all had suicidal thoughts.
When it gets to that stage, the student would have "endured pressure for quite some time", says Mr Daniel Koh, a psychologist with Insights Mind Centre.
He has 20 students who need help, twice of what he handled last year.
CUMULATIVE
Mr Koh says: "They might hit breaking point during the exam period, but it is important to note that the stress is cumulative and cannot be attributed solely to exams.
"For example, students can be pressured by a whole list of reasons like meeting parents' expectations, making it into top schools or even making up for previous bad results to lift their overall grade.
"The anxiety accumulates over time before it gets to a point where they cannot cope and start to have suicidal thoughts."
And this accumulation of pressures affects children of all ages.
A spokesman for the Resilienz Clinic says: "We see students of all ages - mostly those who are about to sit for important papers such as the PSLE, O-level to A-level exams.''
But the increased number seeking help is not necessarily a bad thing, says Dr Lee.
"It is good that these kids are seeking help young because it is imperative to intervene as early as possible before the negative thoughts become too persistent."
- Additional reporting by Phyllis Lee
For example, students can be pressured by a whole list of reasons like meeting parents' expectations, making it into top schools or even making up for previous bad results to lift their overall grade.
- Mr Daniel Koh, psychologist with Insights Mind Centre

Signs to look out for

Parents should seek professional help for their child if they notice significant changes in the child's behaviour.
Dr Lim Choon Guan, deputy chief of the department of child and adolescent psychiatry at the Institute of Mental Health, said parents should take note if their child:

• Becomes withdrawn
  • Loses interest in activities he used to enjoy
  • Becomes aggressive towards others
  • Seems emotional, depressed, moody, irritable or scared most of the time
  • Experiences a loss of appetite
  • Feels anxious and restless
  • No longer sleeps well
  • Refuses to attend school, or his school results plummet for no apparent reason
  • Expresses abnormal and negative thoughts such as suicide
Psychologist Freda Sutanto at Kaleidoscope Therapy Centre says friends can also keep a lookout for the following symptoms:

• Focuses solely on talking about exams instead of a variety of topics
  • Suddenly spends a lot of time engaging in avoidant behaviour like playing computer games constantly - a result of procrastinating the inevitable anxiety
  • Sudden consumption of too many stimulants, such as coffee or Redbull, to "help" with studying
  • Appearance of dark eye circles or a constant look of lethargy

Dealing with stress

Mr Daniel Koh, a psychologist at Insights Mind Centre, says there are ways for students to deal with exam stress:
l Have at least seven to eight hours of sleep daily - the best time to sleep is around 11pm
l Maintain a good diet
l Do light exercises or take leisure walks
l Spend time with family and don't focus entirely on academics
l Strike a balance among play, work and things that require your mental ability
l Take proper breaks. Don't study through the day or night
l If you're a morning person, do the heavier studying in the morning; vice versa for night owls
l Spend time doing things you like, such as gardening or baking
l If you are still overwhelmed, seek professional help

Helplines

NP_20160904_CREXAM04-I4U_1374854.jpg

If you are having thoughts of suicide or are in emotional distress, you can get help from:
Samaritans of Singapore (24-hour hotline)
1800-221-4444

Tinkle Friend
1800-2744-788

Singapore Association for Mental Health
1800-283-7019

Care Corner Counselling Centre (in Mandarin)
1800-3535-800
Mental Health Helpline
6389-2222
Aware SOS Helpline
1800-221-4444

She hinted at her depression in blog

She was eloquent and her writing, thought-provoking.
It also showed a troubled mind.
On Aug 11, the first-year junior college student wrote two posts on her blog.
They hinted at her depression.
She wrote of not wanting to "fight" any more and "not minding" if she had to leave.
But none of her friends picked up the clues. Then came the news.
"It was evident that something had happened," a schoolmate from the JC tells The New Paper on Sunday.
"Her closest friends were seen crying."
"It was later that we heard news of her demise as it circulated. It was first given to her closest friends."
The school announced her death during its morning assembly on Aug 16, about four days after the incident.
Six days later, members of the school's track team were told of their teammate's death.
He was a second-year student.
On Aug 23, the school sent students for "emergency civics class", and they were reminded by tutors of a support system available to them if they are struggling to cope.

- See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/distress-signal#sthash.bHWLpTJr.dpuf

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
This shows that sinkies don't have the toughness and the resilience required to succeed in today's competitive world.

What the PAP needs to do is to bring in more foreign students to replace the Singaporeans who crumble in the face of adversity.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there's a suicide cluster too at gunn high in palo alto. once every few months, a student would walk to the train tracks and jump in front of an oncoming train.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/12/the-silicon-valley-suicides/413140/

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/palo-alto-suicide-cluster-high-school/2016/02/17/id/714824/

https://www.rt.com/usa/332823-teen-suicide-clusters-federal-investigation/

http://abcnews.go.com/US/palo-alto-struggles-rash-teen-train-suicides/story?id=8881813

federal investigators got involved and called in the x-file team. :eek:

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

This is just nature's way of sorting the wheat from the chaff.

When we stressed components for the aerospace industry the failure rate was quite high too. Units that could pass consumer grade tests often failed military grade testing.

Palo Alto is obviously an environment with high expectations and exacting standards so a higher suicide rate is to be expected. If it wasn't I'd be worried. It would mean that the curriculum isn't tough enough.

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
This shows that sinkies don't have thdo i needis shoe toughness and the resilience required to succeed in today's competitive world.

What the PAP needs to do is to bring in more foreign students to replace the Singaporeans who crumble in the face of adversity.

tis shoowz the world and humanz are getting worse and worse
all signs point to a sad bad flawed polluted degenerated populations and the environment.
the future is bleak and grim for the future generations

signs :
1] humans spend time in useless activities like surfing sammyboy.com
making nonsense senseless comments, like tis one -replying to another nonsense comment.
2] the purpose of having a handphone has been transformed from its main intent of providing a simple convenient
way to talk/sms to each other
to being a fashionable gadget, we must have the lastest model , able to use wifi , bluetooth , up-to-date games and Apps
havf u heard of the sad case of a young boy selling his kidney to buy a Apple phone ? tis happened in china.
yeah yeah , i hear u. chinks are stupid and should not be living on earth in the first place.
in sillypoore , almost every secondary students own a hp.
tis is the sad and sorry state of the world.
3] u know things cannot be better in the future when you see evils all round you ,
when you are told
bombing of Libya [and other countries] is to liberate its citizens from the suffering of tyranny
when Angela Merkel forced
germany and other EU nations to accept refugees because she is very kind and it is for humanitarian cause.
what about Croatian and Serbian refugees ? Merkel was not so kind at the time or these croatians and serbianss
are not human ?
4] u know the world is fucked when
the most powerful evil USA is run by a puppet president.
the US garberment is beholden to the military industrial complex the pharma industries , the banking cartel , the FED
it is corruption of the highest degree when there is revolving door trend between garberment and industries.
people move in and out , and in and out , as many times as necessary and easily.
5] i havf more but no time to continue now

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

When we stressed components for the aerospace industry the failure rate was quite high too. Units that could pass consumer grade tests often failed military grade testing.

Palo Alto is obviously an environment with high expectations and exacting standards so a higher suicide rate is to be expected. If it wasn't I'd be worried. It would mean that the curriculum isn't tough enough.

i met one student crying over "one lousy b" after having 3 straight years of perfect "a's" and told him to wear that "b" as a badge of honor: b for badass and would score sympathy icebreakers with pretty chicks. he listened and went on to do medicine at stanford. perfection takes a backseat to pussies - the right way to prepare for college. :p

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Besides the mentally ill (not depression), the ones that kill themselves are usually bright or do well in academically. I have yet to hear of a dumb person killing themselves. The tipping point is usually stress, broken relationship, unable to provide for their families, loss of job or tend over personalise responsibility etc. Recently I think the notion of depression has taken on a meaning that send some into a state that they were never in in the first place.

Some of them were not lucky to have the support that others had.

I have yet to hear a Malay commit suicide as their culture and religion forbids it. Look at South Korea and Japan where education and success is a pressure cooker and their rates higher. Its culture and society and support that will make a difference.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This shows that sinkies don't have the toughness and the resilience required to succeed in today's competitive world.

You have secondary school students, JC students, lesser mortals, old folks,..... doing themselves in.
What is interesting is that no PAP has ever committed suicide even when they make huge blunders.

Even that guy who recommends Hari kiri for failures.
Our PAP MPs are really exceptional or should I say thick skinned.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Besides the mentally ill (not depression), the ones that kill themselves are usually bright or do well in academically. I have yet to hear of a dumb person killing themselves. The tipping point is usually stress, broken relationship, unable to provide for their families, loss of job or tend over personalise responsibility etc. Recently I think the notion of depression has taken on a meaning that send some into a state that they were never in in the first place.

Some of them were not lucky to have the support that others had.

I have yet to hear a Malay commit suicide as their culture and religion forbids it. Look at South Korea and Japan where education and success is a pressure cooker and their rates higher. Its culture and society and support that will make a difference.

There is a sorting out process for the dumb ones as well. They do jackass type stunts and kill themselves in the process.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
What is interesting is that no PAP has ever committed suicide even when they make huge blunders.

Being resilient and bouncing back from adversity and being able to handle failure and come back stronger are essential prerequisites of any leader.

The fact that members of the PAP have never wavered despite the challenges they face shows just how good they are.

Lesser mortals would have crumbled within weeks of being elected.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Its better to be a big fish in a little pond,than to be a small fish in a big pond.

These students never learn that?

They can just look at the peesai where the top guy earns more than Obama.Even if he had 2 cancers and collapse while giving speech can still keep his job.
In fact the daddy said small pond less talent, so must pay more.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

This shows that migrating anti slavery/stress populations to a deserted wonderland island is highly recommended .

What the PAP needs to do is to call out for volunteers of such and assigning guardians for it. Giving assistance whenever required for a smooth transition.
Provide adequate medical care using funds from their parents, adults cpf etc. All these funds shall be pooled together as a common island fund.

Last edited:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My son is studying in RJC too. But he's way tougher. He's doing well in his studies, ECA and is popular with the girls. I've warned him about getting his classmates pregnant though.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
My son is studying in RJC too. But he's way tougher. He's doing well in his studies, ECA and is popular with the girls. I've warned him about getting his classmates pregnant though.

Your son has obviously inherited your good genes. Congratulations for producing a winner.. a rarity in Singapore nowadays.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sad to read such news, this is de way SG is, sinkies pitting against sinkies. i have all the symptoms describe in the list but i am still alive and kicking.:o

Parents should seek professional help for their child if they notice significant changes in the child's behaviour.
Dr Lim Choon Guan, deputy chief of the department of child and adolescent psychiatry at the Institute of Mental Health, said parents should take note if their child:

Becomes withdrawn
Loses interest in activities he used to enjoy
Becomes aggressive towards others
Seems emotional, depressed, moody, irritable or scared most of the time
Experiences a loss of appetite
Feels anxious and restless
No longer sleeps well
Refuses to attend school, or his school results plummet for no apparent reason
Expresses abnormal and negative thoughts such as suicide

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If a student can make it to RJC, he or she is likely to be in the top 5% of the entire cohort. A poor result from an RJC exam doesn't mean he or she is doing badly as compared to the rest of the cohort, many of whom end up as losers studying in the ITE or polytechnics or some other lousy JC.

I did not do that well during my student days to qualify to study in RJC, but yet I turned out well in life. I am rich, have a happy family and I volunteer as a grassroots leader. The school should stop teaching kids the rubbish that if they don't get perfect grades, they would end up as rubbish cleaners later on in life. Snobbish and elitist as I am, I nonetheless teach my kids that if they don't do well in their school work, they still can make it in life if they have enough street smarts, take some calculated risks and cultivate enough alliances in the workplace.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
If a student can make it to RJC, he or she is likely to be in the top 5% of the entire cohort. A poor result from an RJC exam doesn't mean he or she is doing badly as compared to the rest of the cohort, many of whom end up as losers studying in the ITE or polytechnics or some other lousy JC.

I did not do that well during my student days to qualify to study in RJC, but yet I turned out well in life. I am rich, have a happy family and I volunteer as a grassroots leader. The school should stop teaching kids the rubbish that if they don't get perfect grades, they would end up as rubbish cleaners later on in life. Snobbish and elitist as I am, I nonetheless teach my kids that if they don't do well in their school work, they still can make it in life if they have enough street smarts, take some calculated risks and cultivate enough alliances in the workplace.

You are an asset to Singapore and a positive contributor to the human race. Have you ever thought of donating to the sperm bank so that more sinkie women can benefit from your superior gene pool?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can't argue with that. A good friend told me that his son is keen to do bungy jumping and it was on his list of things to do. Asked me to talk him out of it. I told the boy if the platform gives way or if there is a mishap and you die, your parents will try and hide the fact that you died bungy jumping. On the other hand if he died climbing Mt Everest, his parents will be proud to tell people how he died and there will be people who will claim they were friends with you. He got it straight it away.

There is a sorting out process for the dumb ones as well. They do jackass type stunts and kill themselves in the process.

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
AMD forms signed by the deceased student? else theylir bodies be ravaged by organ hunting surgeons for well connected patient.