• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Saving $1m through CPF

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If he put the same amount into property and got a bigger unit, that capital would have appreciated substantially. When he retires all he has to do is to sell the property, down grade to a smaller property and he would have substantial cash. Marine Parade 5 room flats were sold for 35K when they were launched. Look at it now.

Property is one investment that you do not have to watch over, write in forums seeking advice, etc. Land is scarce and there is only one way to go. If you are living in your investment which is your home, you do not have to worry about property cycles. Due to the ratchet effect, the drop will never hit the previous low.

I concur
Buy land. They ain't making any more of the stuff.

I think the moron will murder his wife then commit suicide when he wakes up one day and found leegime's cpf Ponzi scheme collapse.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I concur

I think the moron will murder his wife then commit suicide when he wakes up one day and found leegime's cpf Ponzi scheme collapse.

That collapse will also be tied to your belief that land in short supply will keep value.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I concur

last 10 yrs many bought landed or private prop............ all got fucked with properties left un-tenanted and pay loans thru the nose

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That collapse will also be tied to your belief that land in short supply will keep value.

True but his money will be gone forever while I'll be able to stay on my land and grow vegetables until its value goes back up when opposition party takes over the government after leegime run road

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not for speculation or let out to rent. Your actual home becomes your investment. The mad lady who stopped her Ferrari in the middle of Orchard Rd is the wife of an ex PAP MP Heng Chiang Meng. He bought his bungalow in the early 80s for $1m and the property is now valued at $50m. Deen Shahul of the niteclub scene and Mano Sabnani both were busy in their day jobs that they simply acquired properties empty at times over the years and both now have a string of high end properties that they manage in their retirement.

Mano Sabnani was Editor of Business Time and used to run the famous Hock Low Siew column advising on equities and the man himself invested in properties.

If you want to dabble in the property marker for rent or speculation, you must have playing capital. And it is not for faint hearted. The safer way is buy the worst house in the best location.

last 10 yrs many bought landed or private prop............ all got fucked with properties left un-tenanted and pay loans thru the nose

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I find the best and safest method is to payoff your pigeon hole ASAP best before 35. After that transfer all your oa to sa , Same time top up with cash to the cpf ms. Still continue to add on to the oa from your slavery job. When reach 55, you store the ms with pappy. The balance u have the luxury to treat it like a bank. No other fom of investment can beat this with no risk

That is really bad advice. Don't quit your day job. Why the hell on earth would u pay down a 2.5% debt? U telling me that you cannot take that same amount of money and get a better return then that? There are many other things including debt (credit card for example), and other investments that will yield u more then 2.5%

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is really bad advice. Don't quit your day job. Why the hell on earth would u pay down a 2.5% debt? U telling me that you cannot take that same amount of money and get a better return then that? There are many other things including debt (credit card for example), and other investments that will yield u more then 2.5%

I took into account fluctuations risk, mgt fees, all sorts of conning fees, worrying fees and prefer to settle for a fixed decent returns. Don't forget the earlier we top up sa to the cap, streams of contribution still coming in to sa from the slavery job to earn 4%.
I set aside an amount which I use it for taking high risk instead - the gambling table :biggrin:

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
my question is if hit 1M in cpf. then we can use that money? can withdraw and spend?

People like this Loo Cheng Chuan and Wilfred Ling are just part of the PAP propaganda. The whole piece has no real analysis, its a fluff piece by the prostitute press to promote the benefits of the CPF scam.

1) The interest rate in O and Special accounts fluctuate all the time. And usually, in a downward spiral. He cannot count on 4% or whatever rate forever. If the interest rate is lowered, he will not have his mythical $1 million

2) he does not take into account the inflation rate. If the inflation rate is 5% or higher, 4% means shit. U are suffering a negative return every year. In 21 years when he reaches 65, his $1 million dollar in 2016 purchasing power might only be able to buy $680,000 in 2037, when he gets to 65. Can he survive on this? If he wants to retire with $1 million in today's money, he have over $1.4 million in 2037 and not $1 million.

3) The article has not compared any other investment options. Stocks and mutual funds have traditionally done better then 4%. Even real estate is better then that. Properties are usually in synch with the inflation rate. the property market is low now, he can buy a private condo for under $1 million. If he can rent it out, so AirBnB, etc. it will be mostly paid off in 21 years and there is also a appreciation component on the property, not possible with a CPF special account.

4) As for risk mitigation, if I am not mistaken, certain life insurance products like whole life and universal life are also not touchable by creditors. In other words, even if you are bankrupt, the creditors cannot force you to sell your insurance policy to pay them back. I suppose they forgot to mention this little fact.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
There are people who actually truly enjoy the process of living in poverty secretly and seeing the bank account grows . The sense of achievement surpass enjoyment from food and entertainment :biggrin:

They are called Jews.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No justification can be had from a paltry 4% return that locks the capital up till 65 and returns to you in dribs and drabs. Each year 7k into a Index fund will net you at least 6% returns even through the 1998, 2008 crisis. All these are backed by stats. On top of that, you can divest everything in one hour when you need to sell and take advantage of say, a property downturn for that steal price on a property.

If one has to depend on CPF to retire, THEN he is MOST DEFINITELY not ready to retire.... CPF can only be a supplement to your retirement plans, putting everything in is definitely not wise. This Mr. Loo must have some other investments he did not say, im quite sure. He is right in paying off his primary residence first... that frees one up to do alot of stuff, investment-wise.

P.S. This is just my 2c and this thread has the potential to be a very informative thread. Please do not degrade this thread to a badgering thread and trying to one-up all others to prove one's worth.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No justification can be had from a paltry 4% return that locks the capital up till 65 and returns to you in dribs and drabs. Each year 7k into a Index fund will net you at least 6% returns even through the 1998, 2008 crisis. All these are backed by stats. On top of that, you can divest everything in one hour when you need to sell and take advantage of say, a property downturn for that steal price on a property.

If one has to depend on CPF to retire, THEN he is MOST DEFINITELY not ready to retire.... CPF can only be a supplement to your retirement plans, putting everything in is definitely not wise. This Mr. Loo must have some other investments he did not say, im quite sure. He is right in paying off his primary residence first... that frees one up to do alot of stuff, investment-wise.

P.S. This is just my 2c and this thread has the potential to be a very informative thread. Please do not degrade this thread to a badgering thread and trying to one-up all others to prove one's worth.
I agree 65 or 67 or even higher age in future seems to be a ponzi scheme. But the ms i am treating it like a bonus .
I am looking at 55 I can cash out a pretty large amount based on my earning capabilities. But I learnt that we can choose to keep it there and withdraw any amount we like at anytime. That is better than banks.

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal

hi garlic

we top up SA for 2 reason, 1st the return 2nd for tax relief.
now seem like SRS account then use for investment better choice?

or??

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Yes, agree on the index fund para. He certainly could have gotten more then 4% if he went that way.

CPF cannot be used as a retirement fund. The way that it is set up now, it should be used for daily operating account and a separate investment vehicle used for retirement. Every financial advisor in the world, except for the retards in singapore, will tell you that you should never dip into your retirement fund every month for your monthly expenses like mortgage and housing payments. These must be paid via after tax dollars. How can u retire when you keep depleting you CPF every month? CPF withdrawal is roughly 50% of deposits on an annual basis. What kind of shit savings plan is that when u keep withdrawing half of what you put in every year? Coupled with the low return on CPF, its better to use the CPF to pay the monthly mortgage and deplete it that way. And use any other money for a different investment vehicle.

As for paying off the primary residence, dumb move. why pay down a 2.5% debt. Its like saying you are able to get only 2.5% on your money.