• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2016-17 ☆

Vardy

Alfrescian
Loyal

FA Cup could see video referees & fourth substitutes next season

manchester-united-fa-cup-young-lingard-de-gea-carrick-mata_3hyayoyp9k9s1j2xo0mr32j90.jpg

Dom Farrell
Mar 4, 2017 09:28:00

The International Football Association Board has proposed a raft of new measures and the competition will be one of the testing grounds.

Video technology is set to be used to assist referees with key decisions during next season's FA Cup, while teams in the quarter-finals of this season's competition are expected be allowed a fourth substitution during extra time.

The innovations are among a host of exploratory measures that were announced at the annual general meeting of the International Football Association Board (IFAB) at Wembley on Friday.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino attended the summit of football's global law-making body and Football Association chief executive Martin Glenn confirmed English football is keen to take a lead in its flagship cup competition.

"I'm very happy that there is testing across the world that we can learn from so that when we apply it in English competitions we know that it is going to work," he said during a media conference.

"I'm very happy for other people to do the testing to get the wrinkles out of the way and I feel very confident given the preparation that is going on now. The PGMOL [Professional Game Match Officials Limited] are working hard at it.

"I would expect to see video assistant referees from the third round of the FA Cup for the coming season."

Infantino is keen for video assistant referees (VARs) to be used at the 2018 World Cup in Russia, with this year's Confederations Cup slated as one of the trial events.

"That is our aim," he said. "I'm very confident. The signs are encouraging.

"The little hiccups we have seen are to do with the training of the referees, but they will be able to take decisions much faster when they use it more often.

"We will use it for sure in the Confederations Cup, the Under-20 World Cup and the Club World Cup. VAR is positive because it will allow the right decision to be taken in a game-changing circumstance."

Other reforms on the agenda were the use of sin-bins, ending yellow cards for players who give away penalties and altering the orders of penalty taking in shootouts in order to check an apparent advantage for the team taking first.

More immediately, the FA wants to allow a fourth substitution in next weekend's FA Cup quarter-finals if any of the matches go to extra time.

"With the cup now adopting a straight knockout format from the quarter-finals onwards, the introduction of a fourth substitute in extra time will bring extra intrigue and interest," Glenn added.

"Also, from a technical point of view, it will be interesting to see how managers use the chance to make an additional substitution in such high-profile games and the impact it has on the final result."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ibrahimovic's cheeky message to Man Utd fans after winning Player of the Month

zlatan-ibrahimovic-man-utd-2017_1brq164arq3az15v4febx1alzc.jpg

Stephen Darwin
Mar 3, 2017 19:29:35

The Swede won the club's monthly accolade for a second time and urged supporters to vote for him again "because it's the right thing to do"

Zlatan Ibrahimovic has posted a cheeky message to Manchester United fans after winning the club's Player of the Month award.

It is the second time the Swede has claimed the monthly gong, with Ibrahimovic playing a starring role in February to help United stay in contention for a top-four finish and win the EFL Cup.

The Red Devils are also into the quarter-finals of the FA Cup, where they'll face Chelsea, while they have a Europa League last-16 tie to look forward to against FC Rostov.

Our Player of the Month for February has a special message for #MUFC fans... pic.twitter.com/CurZAuymIJ
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) March 3, 2017

The 35-year-old has an impressive 26 goals in all competitions for United following his summer move from PSG on a free transfer.

And he managed seven in seven games during the month of February, winning the club's Player of the Month ahead of Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Paul Pogba.

After receiving the award, Ibrahimovic posted a special video message to all those who voted for him, urging them to do the same again in the future.

“I want to say thank you to all the fans who have been voting for me to win Player of the Month,” he told the club's official website.

“Hopefully I can continue and keep making you happy, and keep doing good. Thank you very much and keep voting for me... because that is the right thing to do!”

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp ready to spend and strengthen Liverpool

4 March 2017 00:58

1267572header.jpg

Jurgen Klopp has stressed Liverpool will not hesitate to spend ahead of next season in order to be able to challenge for the Premier League title.

Liverpool appeared to be Chelsea's main rival for the title until the turn of the year, but a string of poor results since has seen them drop to fifth.

Klopp is desperate to avoid a similar scenario in 2017-18 and has vowed to bring in new players in order to strengthen his team.

"We still have to make the right transfers, but we will have to make transfers of course," the Liverpool boss said.

"If we perform at the highest level nobody asks for new players, but if you don't everybody asks for them.

"That is the situation we are in and we are working on it already. We will spend money in the summer."

Liverpool brought in players such as Sadio Mane, Georginio Wijnaldum and Joel Matip last year, and Klopp acknowledged deals do not always come down solely to finances.

"It is not about money – we can go for the players we want – but at the very top level you might be competing with Barcelona or someone," he said.

"Some players would rather live in London or Manchester instead of Liverpool, so we have to make a decision and try and make it happen.

"There will be a few new faces in summer, that is how it is always."

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

´I am happy with our goalkeepers´ – Klopp unlikely to move for Hart

11 March 2017 03:00

1271576header.jpg

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp insists he is happy with his goalkeepers, indicating he has no interest in signing Joe Hart.

With Simon Mignolet and Loris Karius having come under fire this season, Liverpool were linked with Hart – who is on loan at Torino from Manchester City.

But Klopp said he was pleased with the options he had available to him already, making it unlikely he will move for a shot-stopper in the off-season.

"We have these really, really good goalkeepers," the German told UK newspapers.

"We have with Mr [Alex] Manninger a wonderful professional player in the squad which helps the squad a lot.

"We have young players in behind including Danny Ward on loan [at Huddersfield Town]. Our situation is as good as possible. I am happy most of the days."

Karius arrived at Anfield from Mainz ahead of this season, but struggled to cement his place.

The German has played 10 of Liverpool's Premier League games, with Mignolet starting the other 17.

While Klopp admitted to being disappointed by errors, he is generally happy with his shot-stoppers.

"One day when a goalkeeper is involved in a goal, which happens quite a few times, it is the life of a goalkeeper that you are the last man standing. Then you are not too happy," he said.

"But I am happy with our goalkeepers, yes."

Liverpool are next in action with a clash against Burnley at Anfield on Sunday.

Depay

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho keen to close gap between expectations and reality at Manchester United

11 March 2017 15:32

1271760header.jpg

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho believes the gap between his side's potential and expectations at Old Trafford is a tough one to bridge.

Mourinho took charge of the 20-time English champions after Louis van Gaal stepped down at the end of last season.

The reigns of David Moyes and Van Gaal, even allowing for last year's FA Cup triumph, marked a significant downturn from Alex Ferguson's glorious reign at Old Trafford.

United won the first silverware of the English season by beating Southampton 3-2 in the EFL Cup final at Wembley last month and they head to Chelsea in the quarter-finals of the FA Cup on Monday, with their interest in the Europa League on-going.

Nevertheless, they lie a distant sixth as Chelsea race clear at the top of the Premier League and Mourinho feels ready to settle in for the long haul, with plenty of work still to be done.

Speaking to BBC Football Focus, he said: "I work a lot but that's what I like. I love the club. I feel that I am here for much more time because the connection is so good with everyone.

"The hard part is the expectation because of the club's history. I am also a little bit guilty of it because I am used to winning trophies in every club.

"The relationship between our true potential and the expectations, there is a gap and that gap is the most difficult thing."

Thursday's 1-1 draw against Rostov in the last-16 of the Europa League, with a return at Old Trafford to come next week, underlines the strain United's current schedule places on United's squad but the manager is not content with one major honour.

"We are happy with the trophy, a trophy is always important," he said. "The reality is that many other teams in England are going to finish the season without a trophy and we have won the EFL Cup and the Community Shield [beating Leicester City 2-1 in August].

"We are in the quarter-final of the FA Cup but we have to fight for everything. The EFL Cup is not enough for us to say the season is over in February."

Pogba

Alfrescian
Loyal

Arsenal fans call for 'Wexit' ahead of FA Cup clash

wenger-wexit-arsenal_1lha32a07qbn21k6ah9lbwztgz.jpg

Nicholas McGee
Mar 11, 2017 17:54:41

A new term was coined as Arsenal fans led a protest calling for the departure of their long-time manager ahead of Saturday's FA Cup match

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger faced more calls for the end of his reign on Saturday, as fans pledged their support for 'Wexit'.

Wenger has come under intense pressure following recent results, with the consecutive 5-1 Champions League hammerings at the hands of Bayern Munich only serving to ramp up the scrutiny surrounding his future.

The Frenchman's contract expires at the end of the season and, ahead of their FA Cup quarter-final with non-league Lincoln City, a section of Arsenal fans repeated calls for Wenger's 20-year tenure to end.

In a protest before the game fans held up banners calling for Wenger's departure or 'Wexit' as one sign read.

There is a banner that says 'Wexit'. This is not a drill. pic.twitter.com/WLpWox21e6
— Andy Ha (@_AndyHa) March 11, 2017

Another declared that 'every good story has an ending', but it remains to be seen when that conclusion will come for Wenger and Arsenal.

Sterling

Alfrescian
Loyal

They may as well say we want Messi - Agent rubbishes Grujic Dinamo talk

15 March 2017 12:33

1273915header.jpg

Marko Grujic's agent Zoran Stojadinovic has made it clear the Liverpool youngster will not be joining Dinamo Zagreb, telling the Croatian champions they have as much chance of signing Barcelona star Lionel Messi.

Dinamo advisor Zdravko Mamic stated this week that they are interested in signing the 20-year-old on loan, but Stojadinovic is adamant a move to Zagreb is out of the question.

"I am surprised, I don't know why Mamic is talking about Gruijic coming to Dinamo," the midfielder's representative told Sportske Novosti.

"He may as well say 'we want Messi'! It is simply a waste of words.

"Liverpool do not want to let Marko go anywhere, not even to bigger clubs than Dinamo. I spoke to Liverpool about Grujic's future this winter and asked them about a potential loan deal, with Betis and Hamburg keen to sign him.

"But Liverpool said [Jurgen] Klopp counts on him. So there is no reason for Marko to join Dinamo."

Grujic signed for Liverpool from Red Star Belgrade in January 2016, remaining there on loan for the rest of the season before joining up with his new team-mates ahead of this campaign.

The Serbia international has been dogged by injury in his maiden term at Liverpool and has made just five appearances in all competitions.

Lukaku

Alfrescian
Loyal

Unsettled Bony told to knuckle down and earn Stoke place

15 March 2017 12:43

1273914header.jpg

Wilfried Bony will not be gifted opportunities at Stoke City and must prove he is worthy of a place in the starting line-up, says chairman Peter Coates.

Much was expected of Ivory Coast striker Bony when he arrived on loan from Manchester City in August, but he has thus far scored just two goals in 10 Premier League appearances and has not played for the Potters since December 27.

Bony openly aired his displeasure at a lack of playing time, which has been further restricted by the arrival of Saido Berahino in January, admitting he sometimes wondered why he agreed to join Stoke and stating his relationship with manager Mark Hughes is "not good".

Coates says he understands Bony's frustration, but told the former Swansea City striker to knuckle down and earn a place in the team.

"We are also disappointed that he hasn't been playing more," he said in quotes reported by the Stoke Sentinel.

"But he has had opportunities and the manager has already gone on record to speak about this.

"All players are disappointed when they don't get into the team, but of course you have to be there on merit, as with anything in life.

"This is really Mark's domain, though, and a decision for him."

While Bony's future remains uncertain, it looks likely that fellow loan signing Bruno Martins Indi will stay at Stoke for the foreseeable future.

The Netherlands defender has been a mainstay of the team since making his debut in September and is keen to make his temporary switch from Porto permanent.

"We are talking to each other, the club and me. I have the intention to stay. We want to see what is going to happen," Martins Indi told Sky Sports News.

"I was following Stoke City before I was here and I knew the way the manager wants to play.

"He gave me a lot of confidence to come here and he trusted me, I happy that I could give him that back."

Vardy

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea fans lacked ´class and respect´ towards Mourinho

15 March 2017 16:26

1274043header.jpg

Chelsea supporters lacked class and respect towards former manager Jose Mourinho during their FA Cup victory over Manchester United, according to Ray Wilkins.

Similarly to last October's Premier League win over United, Chelsea fans often jeered and baited their old boss.

Mourinho responded by holding up three fingers to represent the Premier League titles he won across his two spells at Stamford Bridge and after the match he declared he was still their number one, despite supporters thinking he was "Judas".

Wilkins, formerly a Chelsea player and assistant manager, as well as a United player, felt Mourinho was unfairly treated by the home fans.

"I just wish our Chelsea supporters, and I'm a Chelsea supporter, showed a little bit more class to Jose Mourinho," Wilkins said to Sky Sports.

"He is a good bloke but he is a football man, he wants his club to win. I just thought the other night against Manchester United they didn't show him the respect he merits.

"People will naturally be thinking, 'Hang on a second he was demonstrating stuff on the touchline against Chelsea'. Well yes he was but now he is employed by Manchester United.

"Chelsea relieved him of his post. If we actually remember what he has done for our club, and I say our club because I have been a Chelsea man since I was 10 and a half, he has worked miracles there.

"I think they [Chelsea fans] do [think he is still number one] if they are thinking about it logically and sensibly.

"There is no one that that can touch him at the moment. Jose will be number one until somebody wins as many trophies as Jose."

Wilkins did not think the latest clash between Mourinho and Chelsea boss Antonio Conte on the touchline was a significant incident, after they also had a disagreement in last year's league meeting.

He added: "When you have got two coaches on the sideline that have so much passion then you are going to have a little [confrontation].

"You could have said Conte was disrespectful to Jose. It was just a conflict of interests, they just had a row and these things happen."

Pogba

Alfrescian
Loyal

Manchester United still without Rooney and Martial

wayne-rooney-and-anthony-martial-manchester-united-v-west-ham-efl-cup-11302016_1i7na9fsew0yv1ighub0pertwe.jpg

Stefan Coerts
15 Mar 2017 13:24:12

Jose Mourinho has confirmed the attackers will miss the Red Devils' Europa League clash with Rostov

Manchester United will still be without Anthony Martial and Wayne Rooney for Thursday's Europa League match against Rostov due to injury, Jose Mourinho has confirmed.

The duo missed United's 1-0 FA Cup defeat at the hands of Chelsea on Monday and will not be fit in time to return for Thursday's encounter at Old Trafford.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic — who was suspended for the loss at Stamford Bridge — is the only new face in the matchday squad.

"Martial was injured for the game against Chelsea and could not play," Mourinho said at a news conference.

"If you are still injured for Monday's game, you are still injured on Tuesday morning's training as well, so he is not an option for Thursday.

"Rooney is still injured as well, some kick in his knee area, so he cannot even come out to the pitch. He stays inside the medical department.

"We will have the same players available as for the game against Chelsea, plus Ibrahimovic.

"It is a big boost to have Ibra for this game, but we never cry about who we have and who we don't have. He can play now and he cannot play the next game. That is not a problem."

United were held to a 1-1 draw in the first leg of the round-of-16 tie, with Aleksandr Bukharov cancelling out Henrikh Mkhitaryan's opener.

007agent

Alfrescian
Loyal
this thread is dead :biggrin:

Nabey puacheeeebyeee! OA is really a lazy retard :oIo:

now be a good doggie and faster update this ok. :kma:

ArseneWenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger denies PSG agreement: It's fake news!

arsene-wenger-arsenal-11032017_1cstlx993ds0iz8j74wqf1v3i.jpg

Harry Sherlock
Mar 21, 2017 13:53:53

The Frenchman had reportedly been offered a two-year contract by the French club, but that has now been rubbished by the Arsenal manager

Arsene Wenger has denied that he has agreed to join PSG, insisting that such reports are merely "fake news".

The Arsenal boss is under increasing pressure at the Emirates Stadium, with the 3-1 defeat to West Brom at the weekend marred by a plane flown over the ground, bearing a message protesting a potential contract extension for the 67-year-old.

Reports on Tuesday claimed that Wenger had been offered a two-year contract at the Ligue 1 giants, with whom he has been repeatedly linked.

However, BeIn Sports have now released a snippet of an interview with the Frenchman, with Wenger rubbishing such reports.

“A contract with PSG? I formally deny that. That is fake news. I formally deny that," he said.

The Frenchman called out "fake news" in January, amid reports that Arsenal had made a £56 million bid for highly-rated Torino striker Andrea Belotti.

The Gunners have won just once in March, beating non-league Lincoln City 5-0 in the sixth round of the FA Cup.

Arsenal are currently sixth in the Premier League, 19 points behind leaders Chelsea, while PSG are second in Ligue 1, three points behind Monaco.

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: Manchester United slower than my Real Madrid

jose-mourinho-cropped_gwbqbkh3vmxj1ektrtb7pjc09.jpg

Joe Wright
Mar 21, 2017 14:18:33

The Portuguese has revealed the differences between his title-winning Madrid side and the current United team

Jose Mourinho says he has had to adapt to the qualities of his Manchester United players, claiming the team is slower than his Real Madrid side.

The 54-year-old won LaLiga, the Copa del Rey and the Supercopa de Espana during a three-year spell at the Santiago Bernabeu before he returned to England to take charge of Chelsea for the second time.

Madrid scored a league-best 121 goals in their title-winning campaign of 2011-12, while they also won a record 16 away matches and 32 in total - a figure that was matched by Barcelona a year later.

United have shown progress since Mourinho replaced Louis van Gaal as manager but have often been found wanting in front of goal this season, failing to score in home games against Burnley and Bournemouth and only finding the net more than three times in a single match on one occasion.

Mourinho claims he would be "in s***" if he used a counter-attacking style at Old Trafford but admits that United are limited given their lack of pace.

Asked if he does not like possession-based play, he told France Football: "That is not true. This season, we have an enormous percentage of ball possession in almost all our matches. But again, everything depends on the technical characteristics of the players that you have at your disposal. On what will enable the team to win.

"People sometimes confuse ball possession with the number of goals you score. They forget that the aim is to always score and win. At Real, I had a team that broke the record for the number of goals scored in the history of the Spanish league: 121 goals in one season. It was the best in the world in terms of transition play, in terms of being effective in recovery, and then in terms of projecting the ball towards the goal.

"The answer was magnificent."

Jose Mourinho talks to #MUTV... pic.twitter.com/ClRzbQupmo
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) March 19, 2017

"Cristiano Ronaldo was 27, [Angel] Di Maria was 23, [Karim] Benzema and [Gonzalo] Higuain were 23 or 24. It was the team that killed everyone. Why would I change that? Because the Manchester United team is different. It is slower. They do not have quick players and have a desire to have the ball, in order to be dominant with play.

"Zlatan Ibrahimovic needs touches of the ball in order to play. [Ander] Herrera, [Michael] Carrick and [Paul] Pogba, too. Sometimes, in the last 20 minutes, I explore other options, and I put Marcus Rashford on to go in another direction. But, generally, I try to make do with the qualities that my players have.

"My team plays in this way or that way because that corresponds to the players that I have. It is as simple as that. If I tried to play on the counter with Manchester United, I am in s**t. If you want to play possession with a team where the players dribble a lot, take the maximum risks, push forward quickly, I would kill the potential of the players.

"I could have said to Di Maria, who was faster than an arrow: 'You do not dribble, you play with one touch, you pass the ball, because I do not want to lose'. But I prefer to play with the qualities that my players have."

8 - Jose Mourinho has won each of his last 8 European home games (Chelsea – 3, Man Utd – 5), scoring 21 and conceding just 2. Powerhouse. pic.twitter.com/Nfaonqxc25
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) March 16, 2017

Mourinho was appointed to replace Van Gaal, whose cautious approach had caused huge frustration among United fans despite delivering the FA Cup for the first time since 2004.

However, the former Inter boss says he learned a valuable lesson from his predecessor during their time at Barcelona that he still utilises to this day.

"I do not need 'yes men'," he said. "I want people who have their own opinions. And even people who contest my decisions, questioning them.

"I always say to my assistants: 'During the match, I want to think alone'. I do not want to have someone who is going to talk next to me, to tell me things. In those moments, I want to put together my expertise, with my instinct, with my feeling.

"I want to manage the team by myself. During the week, however, before or after matches, I am counting on them to behave like managers, who think for themselves, who think about what I say, who criticise me, who ask me questions for me to explain what I am doing with the team. I learnt that at Barcelona with Mr Van Gaal. That is what he demanded from his assistants."

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

A $4.5 million trial: Schweinsteiger signing an odd fit with plenty of uncertainty

bastian-schweinsteiger-manchester-united_1cqh9gjnkm6lm1xi6huhq7j3hs.jpg

Ben Valentine
Mar 21, 2017 17:16:03

While the midfielder’s signing with the Chicago Fire is big news, his one-year contract suggests the club and player are not sure there’s a fit

The long-rumored courtship between Bastian Schweinsteiger and the Chicago Fire has finally come to a successful conclusion.

What started as a November dinner in Manchester, caught by photographers as Schweinsteiger departed the restaurant followed minutes later by Fire head coach Veljko Paunovic, is now a one-year designated player deal, with a mutual option for a second, that sees the World Cup champion depart Manchester United for MLS for a reported $4.5 million salary.

It’s a move that grabs headlines. It injects a sense of respectability to a Fire organization that desperately needed it — not only because it finished with the worst record in MLS last season, but also because the team had been spurned by big names before, most notably Didier Drogba in 2015.

It also likely provides a sense of relief for Schweinsteiger. He goes from a club that did not want him to one that does and will compensate him well for his services — a fit that was not readily available.

And yet, it seems hard to escape a feeling that for all the pomp and circumstance that surrounds the signing, it is really nothing more than an extended trial, albeit a very expensive one.

Back in November, Goal reported the Fire had offered Schweinsteiger a three-year contract that would pay him $5.5 million per season. The actual deal is certainly shorter and seems a million dollars cheaper. While it’s possible the numbers were off, it’s also possible and very likely, changed parameters forced both sides to reconsider.

When it appeared Schweinsteiger would not be coming to Chicago, the Fire changed course and landed a pair of defensive midfielders, Juninho and Dax McCarty, both established MLS veterans who have had plenty of success in the league. Both are making significant salaries and would likely be difficult to move in-season in a league with a salary cap.

On paper, that leaves three high-priced players for two spots, which is poor salary management in a capped league. Yet the Fire are intent on having Schweinsteiger act as a playmaker, working higher up the field.

“We see Bastian helping our organization of the attack, and impacting the final third build-up with his vision and creativity to produce the final pass, as well as his capacity to score goals,” Paunovic said in a press release. “His versatility on the field, and his immense experience at the highest levels of this sport will be a great benefit to our team.”

While that sounds great, it doesn’t automatically translate to action. There’s no questioning Schweinsteiger’s technical skills, but that doesn’t mean those skills will work in a way the Fire want, or that Schweinsteiger will be comfortable in the role.

There’s also the question of fitness. Schweinsteiger hasn’t played in 30 league games since 2010-11. He played 20 Bundesliga games with Bayern Munich in 2014-15, 18 Premier League games with Manchester United in 2015-16, and hasn’t seen anything but sparse appearances in cup matches this season. Can he stay healthy long enough to be effective?

It could work — a move that had less fanfare but similar doubts occurred last season when the Colorado Rapids acquired U.S. international Jermaine Jones. Jones’ reputation was as a defensive midfielder, but when the Rapids deployed him ahead of a pair of holding players, Jones excelled, making the Rapids attack more dynamic and dangerous.

The downside? Jones, who like Schweinsteiger has a history of fitness issues, only played nine games for the Rapids in the regular season and four more in the playoffs. Despite what he brought to the table, Colorado moved on this offseason with Jones joining the Galaxy.

And with this contract, it seems both sides are acknowledging the possibility this arrangement may be short-lived, mitigating the risk. The Fire don’t want to be stuck with dead weight occupying one of their three valuable designated player slots if it doesn’t work out. And Schweinsteiger, who just got out of a miserable situation in Manchester, likely doesn’t want a repeat of that if things go south in Chicago.

But while failure is a possibility, it doesn’t change the fact there is upside — if Schweinsteiger takes to the role, he gives the Fire an injection in talent and credibility that is sorely needed. The team has made the playoffs just once since 2009, and that one cameo came in 2012. And even if it doesn’t work out perfectly, the Fire could shift pieces around in the offseason, if they can get Schweinsteiger back at a price they like. And after a half-season in exile, Schweinsteiger gets to return to the field where, if he's successful, he could become one of the faces of the league akin to David Villa or Robbie Keane. Should things go well, the option can be exercised or a new deal worked out.

While it may seem as though the Fire would be better off investing in an actual playmaker, that assumes one was available. Schweinsteiger had no place with United and likely cost very little, if any transfer fee, and agreed to a short-term deal. A more proven attacker may have commanded a similar salary, longer commitment and a large transfer fee. A less-proven attacker could have cost less, but still would have involved the risk of a sunk cost if the move did not pan out.

If this move fails, both parties simply walk away at the end of the year — Schweinsteiger free to pursue other opportunities without a large wage bonus hanging over the proceedings and the Fire able to invest in another high-priced player if they so choose. And In that light, the move makes sense. It's a marriage of convenience with a built in escape route for either side that can also be extended in everything works according to plan.

But right now, this is not a huge, game-changing event for player, team or league. It’s a $4.5 million trial balloon, with both everyone involved hoping it comes together, but giving themselves a way out if it doesn’t.

Baines

Alfrescian
Loyal

Former Manchester United star Ferdinand admits he turned to drink following tragedy

rio-ferdinand-man-utds-20-greates_se87lbu7rpa91twkr3cwumara.jpg

Mar 21, 2017 18:51:48

The ex-England international has bravely opened up on the battles he faced following the loss of his wife Rebecca to breast cancer in March 2015

Rio Ferdinand has revealed that he turned to drink following the tragic loss of his wife Rebecca in March 2015.

His late partner was just 34 years of age when she lost her battle with breast cancer.

Former Manchester United defender Ferdinand brought a highly decorated playing career to a close shortly after Rebecca’s passing, with his three children becoming the focal point of his life.

A man who was an on-field leader at the peak of his powers - with six Premier League titles, a Champions League triumph and 81 England caps on a glittering CV – initially struggled to come terms with being a single parent.

Ferdinand, whose tells his story in a one-off BBC documentary, admits that he sought solace in late-night drinking in an effort to combat his grief.

Speaking to the Radio Times about 'Rio Ferdinand: Being Mum and Dad', the 38-year-old said: “At the beginning I was drinking a lot at night time.

“We have a lady, luckily enough, who lives with us, she would go to bed and I'd come back down in the middle of the night and probably drink a lot for the first three or four months. But I would get up and do the school run and stuff.”

Ferdinand has also discussed how he can now sympathise with those who find themselves in a ‘dark place’ in times of trauma, with it only through the support of those around him that he was able to avoid slipping into a similar trap.

He added in the upcoming show: “That's why a network of people around you is so important. And I was fortunate to have that and also having my kids as inspiration to make sure I get up and do things and try and make things work.

“Some people aren't afforded that, some people haven't got that, and that's when I started to become a bit more sympathetic when people do go to places that are dark places.

Ferdinand added: “I used to look at people or read stories and think, how can you be so selfish and commit suicide or attempt to commit suicide or whatever.

“But I can actually sympathise now because I understand that you get to places where you think, if I didn't have that network of people or my kids who I use as an inspiration to be able to get up and think straight, I can understand that.”

Vardy

Alfrescian
Loyal

Vardy received death threats after Ranieri sacking

1277282header.jpg

21 March 2017 00:11

Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy has revealed he got death threats in the wake of claims he played a role in the club's decision to dismiss Claudio Ranieri.

Ranieri led Leicester to a historic Premier League title last term, but the Italian got the sack when the champions failed to replicate that form this campaign.

Reports surfaced that Vardy was among the players who had asked for Ranieri's departure and - even though the England international quickly dismissed such claims - angry fans targeted him and his family.

"The story is out there, then people pick it up and jump on it and you are getting death threats about your family, kids, everything," Vardy told reporters.

"The threats were on social media, walking down the street, you name it.

"I try to get on with it but when people are trying to cut your missus up while she is driving along with the kids in the back of the car it is not the best. It has happened plenty of times. It is terrifying."

Vardy remains adamant, however, that he had nothing to do with Ranieri's sacking.

"The stories were quite hurtful. A lot of false accusations were being thrown out there and there is nothing us, as players, could do about it," he added.

"Apparently the meeting that got him sacked, I read one story that said it was straight after the Sevilla game. It said I was personally involved in a meeting when I was actually sat in anti-doping for three hours. Absolute shambles."

007agent

Alfrescian
Loyal
this thread is dead :biggrin:

Nabey puacheeeebyeee! OA is really a lazy retard :oIo:

now be a good doggie and faster update this ok. :kma: