• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Blast from Singapore's past

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Happy (or Gay) World?:p 1946

attachment.php

Attachments

• gay world 1946.jpg
    gay world 1946.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 744

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes the laksa stall is the authentic one after 2 migrations from ice factory to food court opposite ah boy motor and now current location at Jin shui coffeeshop.

I got my windscreen wipers stolen and found the exact ones on sale in sungei road 4 hrs later

Many thanks mate!!! Friends were fascinated by the old stuff and parts they thought they'd never see again. It was unique experience. They do have flea markets in UK and some other cities but it doesn't even come close to the one at Sungei Road. Nice one!!!

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is now a huge complex with a 900 seater theatre and shopping mall inside. :biggrin:

I watched Ron Moody's Oliver Twist. one of my all time favourite musicals at the Capitol Cinema. They had food stalls just beside the cinema and a few blocks away was the National Library. They screened a short documentary on Manchester United back then. Sigh....It's a real pity Capitol is gone.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Office block behind the cinema brings back good memories. We had boat people from Vietnam in St John's Island then and someone suggested that we could provide some entertainment by screening movies for the camp residents. I was given the task of getting hold of movies and instead of calling or writing I thought the fastest way was to walk into their office as it was the most prominent. Found the films dept on the directory at the lift. Walked in and told them about refugees and they readily agreed and I could pick any film. Used to go there on Friday to pick the reels and return them on Mondays. Very nice company. In those days very little red tape.

Cathay, iconic then

attachment.php

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many thanks mate!!! Friends were fascinated by the old stuff and parts they thought they'd never see again. It was unique experience. They do have flea markets in UK and some other cities but it doesn't even come close to the one at Sungei Road. Nice one!!!

It's wasn't a flea market per se but in reality a thieves market haha....
Sunday mornings were the real happening time.....you can walk and then have your breakfast there and there when you're tired. Everything under the sun even live chicks, pet fishes and Terrapins on sale in the open.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Believe it or not....This building was once the tallest in South East Asia.
The Office block behind the cinema brings back good memories.
My nostalgic bit was MGS school gals going or coming down slope. Later in life had 2 lady contacts who were working for a German firm in office block. Used to do lazy weekend afternoons in swimming pool (same building) with both
who had access. One even asked me to rub sun block cream on her bikinied back, she was well ahead of our time:p

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bugis St, think this was the beef k teow stall

attachment.php

Attachments

• bugis st beef kt.jpg
    bugis st beef kt.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 504

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Malabar St. Notice some patrons squat whilst eating, comfort then

attachment.php

Attachments

• malabar st .jpg
    malabar st .jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 496

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Paya Lebar, easy to catch your flight. 1 terminal, ground level parking

attachment.php

Attachments

• paya l 1970s.jpg
    paya l 1970s.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 493

jw5

Loyal
I watched Ron Moody's Oliver Twist. one of my all time favourite musicals at the Capitol Cinema. They had food stalls just beside the cinema and a few blocks away was the National Library. They screened a short documentary on Manchester United back then. Sigh....It's a real pity Capitol is gone.

Those were the good ole' days of yore. :biggrin:

pic29.jpg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Odeon, with origins of famous beef k teow in nearby kopi tiam and then bigger premises opposite.

attachment.php

Attachments

• odeon.jpeg
    odeon.jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 448