• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Euro 2016

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Portugal v Wales: Bale bemoans UEFA yellow card rule

Dom Farrell

teD42Un.jpg

Getty Images

Aaron Ramsey, Ben Davies and William Carvalho will all miss the Euro 2016 semi-final between Portugal and Wales through suspension

Gareth Bale has questioned the UEFA rules that will leave Wales without key men Aaron Ramsey and Ben Davies for their Euro 2016 semi-final against Portugal in Lyon.

Ramsey took up Bale's customary role of talisman in the quarter-final against Belgium last Friday, turning in a virtuoso performance in the 3-1 win.

But the Arsenal midfielder and Tottenham defender Davies both collected a second booking of the tournament in that memorable triumph, making them unavailable for the most important match in Welsh football history.

"It's horrible," said Bale, lamenting their fate - one also suffered by Portugal midfielder William Carvalho

"The rules are difficult to take, sometimes you wish at this stage of tournament yellow cards would be wiped.

"You feel for them and they'll be hurt, but they're not showing it and they've given us more motivation to win so they can play again.

"We're playing for the nation and the badge but also for them."

The match is being billed as a showdown between Real Madrid superstars Bale and Cristiano Ronaldo but the Welshman believes the potential absence of another Bernabeu man for Portugal could have a significant impact.

Centre-back Pepe missed training on Monday due to a thigh complaint.

"Firstly he's a fantastic player. He's incredible for Real Madrid, professional and a great man who's been very good to me.

"He'll be a big loss if he's not fit but if he does play he'll make it difficult."

While Wales are breaching new ground, Portugal are in the semi-finals for the fifth time in their previous seven attempts at the European Championships, but Valencia midfielder Andre Gomes rejects the notion of them being favourites.

"I never heard of favouritism in the semi-finals," he said. "If they came here is because they have merit.

"There are no favourites. The squads arrive here with all the credit. We will try to give our maximum, as well as them."

Gomes missed out when Portugal - who are still yet to win a game inside 90 minutes at the tournament - overcame Poland on penalties due to a thigh problem but the 22-year-old is confident he can play a part at the Stade de Lyon.

"Physical problems are things we have no control over," he added. "I have tried to improve every day and now I am feeling better.

"I have already returned to training with my team-mates. Now I will try to improve until the next game to give my contribution, on or off the pitch."

Crystal Palace midfielder Jonny Williams is favourite to edge out Leicester City's Andy King as Ramsey's replacement, while Fulham's Jazz Richards could come in for Davies, with Chris Gunter moving inside from right wing-back.

Danilo is expected to get the nod in the holding role for Portugal with Carvalho unavailable.

Key Opta stats:

-Portugal have played the most games (33) in the history of the European Championship without being lifting the trophy. They lost in the final against Greece in 2004.
- Fernando Santos is unbeaten in his 12 competitive fixtures as Portugal boss, with all eight of their wins during this time coming by a single goal.
- Only France have scored more goals (11) than Wales' 10 at Euro 2016.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has only scored two goals in 13 knockout games at major tournaments. He has failed to score with any of his 41 direct free-kicks at major tournaments.
- Ronaldo's Real Madrid teammate Gareth Bale has scored with two of his five direct free-kicks attempted with Wales at Euro 2016 and has registered more shots on target (14) than any other player at the tournament on his way to three goals.
- Wales will be without suspended midfielder Aaron Ramsey, who has scored or assisted five of the last international eight goals netted by Welsh players.
- Hal Robson-Kanu has scored as many international goals in his last four games with Wales as he had in his previous 30.

Muller

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bale plays down Ronaldo rivalry ahead of Wales v Portugal clash

By Tom Webber

53wQFgL.jpg

Getty

The 26-year-old insists Wednesday's last four meeting is about two nations, not just the two Real Madrid stars and insists Chris Coleman's team are a match for anybody

Gareth Bale has played down any rivalry between himself and Real Madrid team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo, ahead of Wales' Euro 2016 semi-final clash with Portugal.

Bale and Ronaldo have spent three seasons together at the Santiago Bernabeu, with the Welshman's world-record transfer fee reportedly having an immediate negative impact on the pair's relationship.

However, Bale insisted he gets along well with Ronaldo and their European Championship meeting will not degenerate into a battle of individuals.

"It's not about two players, everybody knows that, it's about two nations, 11 men v 11 men," said Bale.

"It will be a very different game, they're in the semi for a reason but we'll enjoy the occasion as we have done.

"[Ronaldo is] a fantastic player, everybody knows what he can do, but we speak about what we can do as a team.

"The teams we've played had very good individuals, but it's about how we perform as a team and by doing that we can shut out a lot of threats.

"The star in our team is all of us. We are all together, we all work as one, running for each other, tackling for each other. We get on like brothers and we're having fun, enjoying the occasion, with no fear. It's working so far."

While Bale is enjoying his time with his team-mates, Ronaldo's attitude has been criticised after he blasted Iceland for having a "small mentality" and was filmed throwing a television reporter's microphone into a lake.

However, the Welsh star would not comment on his club-mate's state of mind.

"I'm not too sure [if Ronaldo is feeling tense], I can't comment on what he's feeling. I'm sure he had his reasons for doing what he did," continued Bale.

"I feel comfortable and we're enjoying ourselves. Sometimes you have to fulfil your responsibilities and doing interviews is a part of it.

"We get on well at Madrid and we enjoy playing with each other. I'm not sure what he does off the pitch, that's his private life. It's not for me to decide who's the better player. If I can help Wales win that's all I need."

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Del Bosque resignation from Spain confirmed

Eliot Rothwell

JGYw0ky.jpg

Getty Images

The RFEF has offered the former La Roja boss a new position after he informed them of his decision to step down as national team coach

Vicente del Bosque's resignation as Spain coach has been confirmed, but the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) is set to retain his services in a different capacity.

Following Spain's round-of-16 exit from Euro 2016 at the hands of Italy, Del Bosque announced his intention to leave the role.

The 65-year-old's departure has now been formalised, but the RFEF will ensure his expertise remains with the federation.

2259843574890d9903506ee99664faa050ae4188.jpg

"The president of the RFEF, Angel Maria Villar, and the national team coach, Vicente del Bosque, have held a meeting in Madrid on July 4 in which the coach informed the president of the RFEF of his decision not to continue at the head of the national team," an official statement read.

"Angel Maria Villar considers Vicente del Bosque part of Spanish football's heritage and has offered him the possibility of continuing in the federation, which has been answered positively.

"This offer will materialise in the coming weeks."

The coach revealed on Friday he informed every member of Spain's Euro 2016 campaign of his exit, except for goalkeeper Iker Casillas.

Del Bosque claimed he had fallen out with Casillas after he picked David de Gea as his number one in France.

However, Casillas took to Twitter to show there were no hard feelings, posting:
"This morning, in the 'Ciudad del Futbol'. 25 years together, and more! A hug, coach! Good luck!"

Esta mañana, en la Ciudad del Fútbol. 25 años juntos y los que nos quedan! Un abrazo Mister! Suerte! pic.twitter.com/swqp5HNOxS

— Iker Casillas (@CasillasWorld) July 4, 2016

Del Bosque took charge of the Spain in 2008 after Luis Aragones led them to the 2008 European Championship – their first major international trophy in 44 years.

The former Real Madrid coach built upon that achievement as the national team enjoyed their greatest period of success, winning the 2010 World Cup and Euro 2012.

Del Bosque stayed on following a group-stage exit in World Cup 2014 and, following Spain's departure from France, has opted to step down, as expected.

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Schweinsteiger will start against France, confirms Low

By Jon Fisher in Marseille

226050386ab21da4326c9364356dbcfb46a78da3.jpg

Getty

The Manchester United midfielder has shrugged off a minor knee problem picked up against Italy in the quarter-finals and is fit to face the tournament hosts in Marseille on Thursday

Captain Bastian Schweinsteiger will start for Germany in Thursday's Euro 2016 semi-final against France, coach Joachim Low has confirmed.

Schweinsteiger's fitness has been closely monitored this week after he sustained minor knee ligament damage in the dramatic penalty shoot-out win against Italy in Bordeaux on Saturday.

With Sami Khedira and Mario Gomez ruled out through injury and Mats Hummels suspended, Schweinsteiger's availability against the tournament hosts represents a huge boost for the world champions.

Low said: "He trained this morning and there were no problems. We trained him individually yesterday and he has recovered 100 per cent. He also showed against Italy that he has the strength to be in the starting XI.

"His experience is very important for us.

"I have always said Bastian Schweinsteiger would be in the starting XI if he could take part in the final training session. We have three players that always play - Hummels, Khedira and Gomez - that are absent and that's why Basti is even more important and that's why he will start tomorrow."

Low will still have to reshuffle his side to cope with the absences of Hummels and Gomez, but he insists he has complete faith in the players that will step in.

"We have to think of the players who can't play and compensate for them," he added. "I trust 100 per cent in the players that will be in the starting line-up and those that will come on, and I hope it won't disturb our style of play.

"I think we will be the strongest opposition France have had so far. Perhaps they haven't had strong opposition yet and we will do everything to reach the final."

Low is wary of France, however, in particular their attacking fluency with Olivier Giroud, Dimitri Payet and Antoine Griezmann all in sparkling form.

"France offensively are the team in the tournament that are very flexible, not only in midfield with Paul Pogba and Blaise Matuidi but they also take their chances most efficiently with Payet, Griezmann and Giroud," he said.

"I think France will attack as they have the pressure of playing as hosts. They are in their own country and will try everything.

"We have to play as a unit and we have to help each other. We have to be compact in defence. If we give them lots of space they can be quick and dynamic. They will make it difficult for us.

"But they have weaknesses, no side is perfect. Their last game against Iceland was impressive but we have noticed a couple of weaknesses. It will be important to exploit them tomorrow."

The last time Germany met a host nation in the semi-final of a major tournament was two years ago in Brazil when Low's men swept to a stunning 7-1 triumph.

Unsurprisingly, the Germany boss has ruled out a repeat in Marseille.

He said: "I don't think we can take much out of that game.

"It was written in the stars and that won't appear in a semi-final again. Brazil were shocked because they conceded so many goals in such a short space of time. France are better defensively than Brazil were then."

Joachim

Alfrescian
Loyal

Paris solidarity won't matter in semi-final - Low

22605052990a3f50e4deced861c1db7c66eb2de2.jpg

Getty

The 56-year-old says the bond between the two teams forged on the night of atrocities in the French capital will count for little in Marseille on Thursday evening

Germany coach Joachim Low has reiterated his gratitude for the solidarity shown to his players on the night of the Paris terror attacks - but insisted it will not be a factor in their Euro 2016 semi-final.

It was November 13, 2015 when a series of atrocities were carried out across the French capital - killing 130 people - with one bomb set off outside the Stade de France where France were hosting the world champions in an international friendly.

When it became apparent after the final whistle that the players' safety would be compromised if they left the venue, both teams camped down on mattresses at the ground with the French team refusing to leave until their German counterparts had been cleared to depart.

Low said: "The French really helped us where they could on that night. They waited until we left the stadium, they cared about us and that showed the good relations between the players who know each other, who play together at their clubs.

"But this rivalry, in the semi-final, is gigantic. Both sides want to get to the final so this won't play a role on Thursday.

"That said, we do really appreciate the French team after what happened on that night as they did a lot."

Low played down his side's tag of favourites and cited hosts France's huge support as one reason to be fearful.

"I don't think we are favourites," he added. "We won't just play against France but also a country.

"After the win against Iceland, they are very confident. We have felt it and that energy was taken on by the nation.

"I don't think there is a favourite but that's not important. Both sides have a lot of quality and the key will be who commits the fewest errors, who gets the most chances and who is the most efficient in taking those chances."

ToniKroos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Playing at home puts pressure on France - Kroos

226050651036c29f5d70b833605c5d041e22f29c.jpg

The Real Madrid midfielder says he has a lot of respect for the Euro 2016 hosts but feels playing in front of an expectant Marseille crowd could be a problem for les Bleus

Toni Kroos says Germany do not fear France and hinted playing at home may hinder, not help, Didier Deschamps' men.

Germany fans will be heavily outnumbered at the Stade Velodrome on Thursday for their Euro 2016 semi-final and Kroos believes that will bring added pressure on the tournament hosts.

The Real Madrid midfielder said: "There have been more Germany fans [in the stadiums] in previous games in France but on Thursday it won't be like this.

"We have strong opponents against us and there will be support for them but also pressure and I think we will use that.

"We have a lot of respect for France, throughout the tournament they have improved and they have great individual quality, but we don't fear them.

"We know it is a very good team we are up against though."

Kroos dismissed the suggestion that Germany had been the standout team so far.

He added: "I think there are different phases throughout the tournament. At the start, Spain were the best side, two games later that was not the case. In the last round, France were very strong.

"It doesn't get us anywhere if we say we have been the best side so far. We have to give our best on the pitch on Thursday - if we don't, we will go home."

Kroos also had words of praise for head coach Joachim Low, who is close to guiding his side to a World Cup 2014 and Euro 2016 double.

"In this phase of the tournament, it's important for the coach to work with us the way he does, how he talks with us and that's where he has succeeded," said Kroos.

"He finds the right words. Even on Tuesday, he talked to us and motivated us for the game on Thursday.

"Sometimes it's normal after a game like against Italy [which Germany won on a penalty shoot-out] for it to take two or three days to recover and you don't feel so much pressure. But you're only supposed to feel that after the final, which is why the words of the coach are so important."

Pogba

Alfrescian
Loyal

Deschamps: France will need Pogba at his best against Germany

22605070b3eca5e94b6b50c6421c339d4fecb12a.jpg

The Juventus midfielder has come under scrutiny for his performances at the European Championship but his coach says he is doing well after a tricky start to the tournament

France head coach Didier Deschamps feels les Bleus will need Paul Pogba at his best against Germany as the Euro 2016 hosts prepare for their semi-final clash.

Pogba's form in the early stages of Euro 2016 became a cause for national debate, with the Juventus star struggling to make an impact in the opener against Romania before being dropped for the clash with Albania in Marseille.

He was introduced at half-time against Gianni De Biasi's men, helping inspire his side to a 2-0 win, and has remained in the starting XI since, impressing against Iceland and Deschamps says he is needed against the world champions.

"I had not lost him so I have not rediscovered him," said Deschamps, speaking ahead of Thursday's semi-final against world champions Germany in Marseille.

"It was a bit trickier for him at the start of the tournament but Paul has always stood up, even in the second game when I didn’t start him.

"Paul Pogba needs tranquility around him and it's hard because you [the media] talk about him every day.

"Paul is doing well and, mentally, he knows what he can contribute to the team. He's been playing very well the last two games and we’ll need him on Thursday."

Deschamps is a former Marseille player and coach and is expecting a boisterous Stade Velodrome crowd to urge his side on.

"I think we will have the crowd right behind us as we saw here against Albania," he said.

"We'll need them because there will be some tough times. We are supported all over the country but they are more expressive here in Marseille. It's a semi-final and it's special, we will need all their support."

Asked if it was the biggest match of his career, Deschamps added: "It's difficult to make comparisons but clearly this is not something that crops up every day. We are playing a European Championship semi-final.

"I experienced them as a player but I don't waste time on myself, what's important is France. I don't look at it from a personal perspective.

"I feel very privileged. The France national team means a great deal to me and I hope we can go as far as possible."

Francisco

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ronaldo, Nani, Renato Sanches - How Portugal could line up in Euro 2016 final against France

Peter Staunton

cristiano-ronaldo-portugal-euro-2016_1fxjv1pedfwm91egobwcl9shqb.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo Portugal Euro 2016 Getty Images

Fernando Santos has used all 20 outfield players at Euro 2016 due to injuries and suspensions but has a full squad to choose from with Cristiano Ronaldo ready to lead his side into battle

Cristiano Ronaldo will lead the line for Portugal against France in the Euro 2016 final at Saint-Denis. The Real Madrid forward registered a goal and assist in the semi-final win against Wales – moving his goals tally to three at these finals and nine in total at European Championship tournament matches.

His strike partner Nani has also scored three times as Portugal progressed unbeaten to this final against the hosts.

Further back the pitch, injury meant Pepe sat out the win against the Welsh but he trained on Friday and is expected to replace Bruno Alves at the heart of the defence. Beside him will be Jose Fonte, who won his place in the side at the expense of Ricardo Carvalho.

portugal-possible-final-xi_1ig5av7cuj1f51luu8snh95aea.png

William Carvalho is expected to be recalled in midfield after suspension and Portugal have looked more fluid in that area when William plays with Sporting team-mates Adrien Silva and Joao Mario. Precocious talent Renato Sanches will also play.

Rounding out the line-up in the full-back positions will be Raphael Guerreiro – who has signed for Borussia Dortmund – and Cedric Soares.

Portugal coach Fernando Santos has kept everyone guessing as to his line-ups so far at Euro 2016 – he has used all 20 outfield players along with regular goalkeeper Rui Patricio.

Pogba

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pogba, Griezmann, Payet - How France could line up in Euro 2016 final against Portugal

Peter Staunton

hd-antoine-griezmann-germany-france_8esj3lo202881arbgxju1lfie.jpg

Antoine Griezmann Getty Images

The hosts eliminated the world champions Germany to make it all the way to Stade de France and they will again be looking to their talismanic No. 7 for control as well as their creative midfield talents

Didier Deschamps is set to stick with the same XI which downed Germany in the Euro 2016 semi-final when his France side take on Portugal in Saint-Denis on Sunday.

Moussa Sissoko and Samuel Umtiti were added to the line up through the knockout stages as replacements for N’Golo Kante and Adil Rami – who missed out through suspension – and have performed well enough to keep their places for the final.

Elsewhere, it’s as expected. Six-goal Antoine Griezmann has been the star of the European Championship and will play up front with Olivier Giroud and Dimitri Payet.

Sissoko will occupy a spot on the right flank and in midfield will be Manchester United targets Blaise Matuidi and €120m-rated Paul Pogba.

Defenders Laurent Koscielny, Patrice Evra and Bacary Sagna – along with goalkeeper Hugo Lloris – have been ever-present.

New Barcelona signing Umtiti will remain in the line-up at centre back.

possible-france-xi_p5xgbzjmk5vs16hxxm7f68ksp.png

Giroud

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pepe back in full training ahead of Euro 2016 final

By Joe Wright

pepe-portugal-training-euro-2016_19kilzcz8vdqw1s5qm530di1fi.jpg

Pepe Portugal training Euro 2016 Getty Images

The Real Madrid centre-back missed his side's semi-final win over Wales due to a thigh injury but could be back for Sunday's clash with France after returning to fitness

Portugal have been given a boost ahead of Sunday's Euro 2016 final after Pepe returned to full training.

The 33-year-old has been training alone for most of this week as a result of the thigh injury which kept him out of the 2-0 semi-final win over Wales.

However, the Real Madrid centre-back took part in the full session with the rest of Fernando Santos' squad on Saturday in Marcoussis, and looks likely to be fit to play a part in the match with the hosts at Stade de France.

Barring the semi-final, Pepe has played in every game for Portugal at the tournament.

Giroud

Alfrescian
Loyal

Deschamps backs France to handle dreams of a nation

didierdeschamps-cropped_1f4f4s6kqow6a1ec0j2ydz6zlr.jpg

Dom Farrell at the Stade de France

A country expects ahead of the final of Euro 2016 but the Bleus boss believes his players can be calm amid the clamour and lift the trophy

Didier Deschamps is confident his France team is ready to deal with a phenomenal weight of expectation when they host Portugal in Sunday's Euro 2016 final.

Deschamps' side completed their run to the final at the Stade de France with a stirring 2-0 win over world champions Germany, where they were backed by incredible support at Marseille's Stade Velodrome.

Enthusiasm around the nation is set to reach fever pitch over the course of this weekend but Deschamps believes his players will handle the occasion, suggesting they learnt from some fitful earlier performances during the group stages.

"I don't know about pressure, there has been a lot of exception over the last two years," he told a pre-match news conference in Saint-Denis, where France will try to repeat the feat of being victorious hosts as at the 1984 European Championship and 1998 World Cup.

"The opening match [a 2-1 win over Romania] was like a final, even though it wasn't a final - this is a real final.

"This is the seventh game [of the tournament for France], obviously in a unique context. With my staff we will need to talk about this aspect and indeed others.

"We don't need to look at permutations and try and play the match out in our heads. I think the players will be able to play at 100 per cent as we have since the start of the competition but there also the opposition to consider - we are not there on our own.

"Portugal have ability but they are not there by chance. They also had some issues at the start but they have made it through step by step."

Deschamps will try to keep France's final preparations in line with their work throughout the competition, but he concedes it is pointless to try and convince his 23-man squad that they are taking part in simply another game of football.

"It's a bit of both," he said. "Of course it is a special moment, a privileged time and a unique opportunity because there is a title at the end of it.

"You must think about that but not focus on it too much. You also need to really stay true to what you are used to doing. The ideal scenario is to go into the match as relaxed as possible all the while being as focused as possible."

Nevertheless, the former midfielder, who captained France to glory in the finals of the 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000, admitted his true ideal scenario is in the past.

"Of course, it is different being in the dugout as a head coach," he added. "I won't hide the fact that the best place to be is out there as a player.

"Now when I'm in the dugout, when I experience the match, I am a little bit frustrated that I can't participate with my boots on."

Joachim

Alfrescian
Loyal

Coleman rubbishes ´lucky´ claim

6 October 2016

1166982header.jpg

Wales manager Chris Coleman hit back at Austria boss Marcel Koller, dismissing claims his team were lucky at Euro 2016.

Speaking ahead of the World Cup qualifier between the teams on Thursday, Koller had said Wales – who remarkably reached the semi-finals in France – were fortunate.

Coleman rubbished that suggestion, though, saying their run was down to the quality of the team.

"I wouldn't put our semi-final achievement down to luck," he said, via The Guardian.

"You can get lucky over 90 minutes sometimes but you don't achieve a semi-final by being lucky, that's for sure.

"We had a little bit of luck here and there, we had bad luck. But the reason for our achievements is because we're a good team."

Wales top Group D in qualifying, with Coleman's men and Austria locked on three points.

Coleman said his team had managed to deal with the enormity of the European Championship, whereas others failed.

"A lot of teams went into the tournament with big reputations because they had fantastic campaigns, but they couldn’t handle the pressure," he said.

"Our players handled the pressure, so that's not luck."

After visiting Vienna on Thursday, Wales host Georgia in Cardiff three days later.