• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Chee and SDP this week and the train wreck it has created.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
By now keen observers would have realised that it has been a disastrous week for Chee and the SDP.

Firstly it shows that no one in SDP including Chee could not understand simple statistics and how to interpret a poll. The poll was conducted by blackbox Research between 30 April to 3rd May. And it was massive howler. Or worse, was it a deliberate attempt at misleading the public, reminiscent of incident that led him to be convicted for deliberating misleading Parliament 2 decades ago. Their erroneous interpretation was carried in SDP website and Chee wrote about it in his Facebook this week . To those who followed his journey cannot but think it was deja vu. And sadly Lawrence Wong brought it out in the TV panel discussion on this particular trait prior to the General elections last year.

The second incident is rehashing the Chiam ouster. There is nothing to be gained from this. And to make matter worse they linked Justice Khoo's judgment and took an except from it which is not exactly in context. Again another attempt at misleading the public. Not only was the judgement scathing of the SDP CEC, it reflected badly on Ling, Chee primarily and only painted Ashleigh Seow in relatively good light. Warren Khoo made that statement to substantiate why Chiam had to bear one third of the cost. Everyone knows that Chiam's leadership style was major contributing factor but who drew the knives goes to character.

The third is the rehashing of GCT and Chiam allegedly collusion both in SDP website and Chee Facebook. Both Chee and SDP was successfully sued for defamation by Chiam for this very reason 20 years ago. Chiam was awarded $120k. Why are we seeing this again. I won't be surprised another lawsuit in the making.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Own party also cannot manage, how to manage town council? :confused: One can only hope sinkies will forget about all these gaffes by 2020.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
By now keen observers would have realised that it has been a disastrous week for Chee and the SDP.

Firstly it shows that no one in SDP including Chee could not understand simple statistics and how to interpret a poll. The poll was conducted by blackbox Research between 30 April to 3rd May. And it was massive howler. Or worse, was it a deliberate attempt at misleading the public, reminiscent of incident that led him to be convicted for deliberating misleading Parliament 2 decades ago. Their erroneous interpretation was carried in SDP website and Chee wrote about it in his Facebook this week . To those who followed his journey cannot but think it was deja vu. And sadly Lawrence Wong brought it out in the TV panel discussion on this particular trait prior to the General elections last year.

The second incident is rehashing the Chiam ouster. There is nothing to be gained from this. And to make matter worse they linked Justice Khoo's judgment and took an except from it which is not exactly in context. Again another attempt at misleading the public. Not only was the judgement scathing of the SDP CEC, it reflected badly on Ling, Chee primarily and only painted Ashleigh Seow in relatively good light. Warren Khoo made that statement to substantiate why Chiam had to bear one third of the cost. Everyone knows that Chiam's leadership style was major contributing factor but who drew the knives goes to character.

The third is the rehashing of GCT and Chiam allegedly collusion both in SDP website and Chee Facebook. Both Chee and SDP was successfully sued for defamation by Chiam for this very reason 20 years ago. Chiam was awarded $120k. Why are we seeing this again. I won't be surprised another lawsuit in the making.

The more Chee brings up Chiam, the more people will vote PAP

chongpangchixwings

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chee is not a stupid person so how did it come to this? Lack of political savvy? Sabotage? Character?

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chee is not a stupid person so how did it come to this? Lack of political savvy? Sabotage? Character?

Where do we begin? Stubborn, refusal to change, misread the ground...etc. At least WP has evolved. Chee has mellowed but u know he's going to be confrontational and we'll have endless court cases if he gets in.

mei mei

Alfrescian
Loyal
It all started because SDP/Chee used a photo of Chiam, he is the doing of his own downfall in this byelection.

Why even bother to use photo of Chiam? Byelection in BB, not PP. Chiam is as good as a Nokia phone. Today we are talking Samsung, not Nokia. Nobody gives a shit about Nokia, let alone the new voters/new citizens who may not know who is Chiam or what happened 20 years ago.

SDP should never used anything that has link with Chiam, Lina, etc. Afterall Chiam and wife resented Chee very much, so much they publicly said they don't endorse Chee. No face give to Chee, Chee should retire, he can never get elected with the life long baggage, as analyzed by GMS.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its a similar dilemma that the University disciplinary panel faced when handling his case. They thought it was something medical and gave him 3 months notice which is not the norm for misconduct of that nature. If you read his books it makes sense. You cannot find anything wrong at all. I suspect it requires a confrontational trigger. Over the years, the people surrounding him have changed a number of times but the behaviour has not.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your comparison of Chiam with Nokia for BB BE does makes sense. It would not have helped. When Bryan Lim raised how Chee had accommodated Chiam to resolve the split during GE2015, people were surprised how it was interpreted and the Chiams did not retaliate. It was crazy to to attempt faith again.

It all started because SDP/Chee used a photo of Chiam, he is the doing of his own downfall in this byelection.

Why even bother to use photo of Chiam? Byelection in BB, not PP. Chiam is as good as a Nokia phone. Today we are talking Samsung, not Nokia. Nobody gives a shit about Nokia, let alone the new voters/new citizens who may not know who is Chiam or what happened 20 years ago.

SDP should never used anything that has link with Chiam, Lina, etc. Afterall Chiam and wife resented Chee very much, so much they publicly said they don't endorse Chee. No face give to Chee, Chee should retire, he can never get elected with the life long baggage, as analyzed by GMS.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember the article as it made the emails rounds and was the butt of jokes. Note whose website it was carried on. Some of the guys behind the book "Paths not Taken" thought he was an idiot and a charlatan as he attempted to contact the foreign authors of the articles offering his profound insight for future work on Singapore politics.

Thankfully 2 other medical doctors not PT sat down and persuaded Chee not to contest Punggol and not for WP"s sake but for SDP's sake. Look at what happened to KJ and DL and their deposit.

Don't think sdp has any problem interpreting the poll. I notice they have this tendency to spin tales just to make themselves look good especially after some unpleasant incidents.

Look at what their proxy Wong wee nam wrote.
Why the PAP lost so badly in the Punggol East by-election

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Don't think sdp has any problem interpreting the poll. I notice they have this tendency to spin tales just to make themselves look good especially after some unpleasant incidents.

Look at what their proxy Wong wee nam wrote.
Why the PAP lost so badly in the Punggol East by-election

The article is reproduced as follows. As for spinning tales to make themselves look good, I am now reluctantly forced to agree after so many years following the SDP's movements as a supporter. The latest abuse of statistical interpretation in the latest Blackbox Poll was about the last straw for me.

The press conf in which Dr Chee stood all alone without even V.W. and P.T. by his side, and gave that infamous speech that became the butt of jokes was a big blow. Even SGAG did a scathing satire on it and it became viral on Facebook. I posted about my feelings in this forum back in 2013 when it happened and even myfoot and methinks (also SDP supporters, if I am not wrong) were very disappointed.

I was glad that Lee Li Lian won and even though she lost in GE 2015, at least she served Punggol residents for two good years. She still has another chance in 2020 if she still wishes to contest that is.

By Dr Wong Wee Nam
28 January 2013

The results of the Punggol East by-election surprised everyone. People expected a very close fight. No one expected PAP, by its own standards, to be thrashed by such a wide margin. Even the professional forecasters who make a living offering odds thought that the PAP was going to win by 1000 votes.

What then went wrong?

When Michael Palmer resigned his seat, the Prime Minister saw no urgency to call for a by-election. He said that there were some national issues to be settled first. On hindsight, perhaps he should have stuck to this initial intention. Unfortunately he did not.

When the Singapore Democratic Party announced its intention to contest the by-election and made known the seriousness of this intention by going on walkabouts and house-to-house visits in impressive style, the PAP changed its mind.

With the SDP’s participation, the PAP probably thought that a 3-cornered fight would kill the opposition’s challenge and hand the PAP an easy victory. Thus, almost immediately after the SDP’s announcement, the by-election was called.

On paper, this is a great strategy — surprise the enemy, fight a battle quickly and attack when the enemy is not ready and in a state of disunity. Do not allow them time to cooperate. Sun Zi, author of The Art of War, would have been very proud of the PAP if not for some miscalculations.

The first miscalculation was to think that the opposition parties were not ready. Within 24 hours of the announcement of the by-election, the SDP, with the efficiency of an SAF recall, had already mobilized its members and supporters and started knocking on the doors. By the time it announced its pull-out, in the interest of opposition unity, it had covered almost the whole of Punggol East and saturated the voters with opposition messages.

Though the SDP did not contest in the end, it had contributed a lot to the opposition vote by giving the residents one round of opposition views. By pulling out, it had also allowed the Workers’ Party to go on an essentially one-to-one fight with the PAP. This was the PAP’s second miscalculation.

When the WP started their campaign, the ground was already softened by the SDP’s early start and by the time it finished their round of house-to-house visits, each household would have received 3 rounds of opposition calls to vote for the opposition (including the campaigns by SDA and Reform Party). With such a massive opposition call to an unhappy electorate, there is only one way the result would go. Though each party did their own thing, they collectively managed to unite the opposition supporters into one voice to send a clear message to let the government know of their unhappiness.

Fighting a war is not just a matter of surprise, speed and disarray in your opponents. It is also about having an experienced general who can lead his men into battle. It is also about the morale and preparedness of your generals and foot soldiers. In spite of the PAP’s reputation for efficiency and a well-oiled machinery, it failed on these counts.

In the past, when the PAP eyes a potential candidate, the least it would do is to let the person understudy a more seasoned MP. This did not seem to be so in the case of Dr Koh Poh Koon. He seemed unprepared and was not keen to contest when he was first asked. Having joined the PAP for only a month, there was definitely inadequate time to prepare him for any election, let alone a snap by-election.

As it turned out, his inexperience showed up glaringly. Some of the bloopers he made would not have been made by a more seasoned campaigner and that probably caused him votes. Imagine telling voters about his alleged abject poverty and then telling them not to give sympathy votes.

It is hard to think that a child of his era, when Singapore was prospering and the PAP was promising the Swiss Standard of Living, would have such deprivation as lack of chopsticks and food. It could happen only with great income disparity and without the policy of a minimum wage. Isn’t it then more logical for a person who has experienced such childhood poverty to join a party like the SDP instead of the PAP?

After all the talk about his humble background, Dr Koh then made a slip of his tongue and said that everybody in Singapore drives a car. Voters must be wondering if the potential office holder is out of touch with reality with such elitist thinking.

The PAP has the practice of parachuting well-qualified people as candidates for elections. In the past things worked out well because these people were sent in way before an election. This gave the person ample time to get to know the grassroots members and to bond with them. In this way, any misgiving of any member towards the candidate initially could be ironed out with time.

In Dr Koh’s case, he had only two weeks. This is too short a time to adjust to supporters who are still mourning the departure of their previous MP. Any newly-appointed football manager knows he needs time before he can get his team to fight for him and achieve peak performance. Thus, without the fire, it is not possible for soldiers to fight a good battle.

The PAP had called for a snap by-election because it wanted to catch the opposition parties off-guard. The parties would not have time to prepare and would fight amongst themselves. Instead, as it turned out, it was the PAP itself that needed more time.

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just like associate professor Eugene Tan Kheng Boon, sinkies also very good at:

• luò jǐng xià shí to throw stones at sb who fell down a well (idiom); to hit a person who is down

What do you think?

Last edited:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
My dear Scroobal,

Can you stop writing like that? Now those people are saying I am you, you are me! This is getting a bit funny to me.

Goh Meng Seng

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My dear Scroobal,

Can you stop writing like that? Now those people are saying I am you, you are me! This is getting a bit funny to me.

Goh Meng Seng
u tel dose pipz u r definitely not ... ah scroobal is a wanted man ... if u were, u wud not b stil unwanted now ...

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
My dear Scroobal,

Goh Meng Seng

Tiu leh lo mo fa hai! Lor yang si fut jo min peh!
Goh Meng Sent the PAP representative in the Opposition who has lost credibility with everyone but himself.

Last edited:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My dear Scroobal,

Goh Meng Seng

Are you Scroobal? If you are, lunch on me next time. Usual place, HG Ave 5 curry cai png. Ask Golden Dragon and Debonerman to come along if you are not them.