• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PM Lee Warns Sinkies Against Discriminating Against Keling Kia! Wrong And Bad!!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
25818419.jpg

SINGAPORE — Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong spoke out on Saturday (April 30) against online comments and whispers going around Bukit Batok asking Chinese voters to cast their ballot along racial lines, calling this “completely wrong and bad”.

Speaking to the media after a visit to Bukit Batok – his first since 2009 – Mr Lee acknowledged that in a multi-racial society, race would be an issue on people’s minds. “But I think when they vote for somebody, they should not be voting on the basis of race, but they should be voting on the basis of his ability to contribute, his sincerity, the heart, the colour of his heart and his commitment – which is red – regardless what race or religion he may belong to,” he said.

Apart from word going around the constituency - which Minister for Culture, Community and Youth Grace Fu also alluded to during the People’s Action Party’s (PAP) rally on Friday - Mr Lee said he has seen some comments online making the point about race in “a quite open way”. In particular, such comments were made in response to Facebook postings by Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) chief Chee Soon Juan, which have yet to be refuted and taken down, Mr Lee pointed out. Dr Chee is up against PAP long-time activist Murali Pillai in the Bukit Batok by-election.

He noted that it is not unheard of for racial sentiments to emerge and be exploited during election campaigns. He recalled how the race issue came up during the campaigning period for the 1984 General Election, where PAP candidate Chandra Das was up against SDP’s Mr Ling How Doong in the Chong Boon Single-Member Constituency (SMC). “They didn’t say vote for (Mr Ling), they didn’t say the other chap was no good. They just asked, ‘Has that Indian man come yet?’ Everybody knew what it meant, there was a special UHF signal there, so you say one thing, what you mean is another thing,” he added.

Referring to Mr Murali’s performance in last year’s General Election as part of the PAP’s Aljunied GRC team, Mr Lee said that Mr Murali has shown that he was “able to connect with voters, serve them and win their confidence in the Paya Lebar division. “If Paya Lebar had been an SMC, Murali would be their MP by now. But it was a Group Representation Constituency, so overall, we missed winning by a very narrow bit,” he added.

On Friday, Ms Fu warned voters against those playing the race card by “asking Chinese residents to vote for Chinese only”. “We know some people have gone around saying this,” she said. She added that she hoped the SDP was not resorting to this and called on the opposition party to clarify its position.

Speaking to reporters during the walkabout on Saturday, Mr Murai acknowledged that racial issues are present in society. “But ultimately I am confident that if I can show to our Bukit Batok people that I’m sincerely interested to solve their issues, I can overcome their language issue, the race issue together with my committed group of volunteers,” he said.

In response, Dr Chee - who was greeting residents in the constituency later in the day - said the PAP's accusation was "absolutely appalling" and called on the ruling party to "stop playing politics". “If the PAP wants to talk about racism, then I refer you back to some comments PAP leaders have made about Malays," he said. Regarding the comments made on his Facebook page, Dr Chee said it was impossible to go through every comment posted by netizens but he called for parties to stay away from personal attacks – be they on race or personal indiscretions – during the campaign.

Following his visit to Bukit Batok, Mr Lee said Mr Murali stands a “good chance” in the by-election. “From the reports from our activists, from what I can see and what the residents show, I think that they know Murali, they recognise him, they know ‘Ah Mu’ which is important, they remember him because he’s gone house visiting, and he’s done things for them from the last time when he was here as branch secretary,” he added.

Apart from Mr Lee, Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam, Senior Minister of State (Home Affairs and National Development) Desmond Lee and Parliamentary Secretary Low Yen Ling (Education and Trade and Industry) were also present during the walkabout to lend their support to Mr Murali.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapor...gainst-playing-race-card-bukit-batok-election

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess LHL used Ah 木 as a bait to hopefully get Chee to say something on AH 木 being a minority race. Chee and SDP may be smart enough to avoid it. Is there any truth in what LHL claimed someone raising racial issues? PAP or they extensions is known to be the devil themself. Remember the market spring cleaning saga? Who stirred it?

And fielding Ah 木 may be a wrong tactic by LHL. If Ah 木 really wins, then the GRC justification for minority MP becomes irrelevant.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How many Ah Nehs do we have in cabinet?

And what have they achieved? A free trade agreement that give millions of Ah Nehs from India to live and work her. Sinkapore cannot say no.

So, why would you want to increase the number of Ah Nehs in parliament?

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LHL was playing the race card by trying to scare the Keling and Malay voters and hopefully they will overwhelmingly vote for the PAP while Chinese voters are divided over the two candidates. KNN. PAP has 95% of parliament already, still so desperate for this 1 seat.

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
No discrimination from me….Big M gonna take it by 94% … wait for the sample 100 vote count and see!!!!

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
and he never called that fat lard MP a disgrace for calling FT walking timebomb...

and his daddy used to talk bad things about moslam too, and than apologised and "stand corrected" without causing a scratch on his dead skin.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You guys must be living in denial. Singapore as a multi-racial and multi-religious society is the architect of PAP's leadership, which has steered Singapore on a completely different path unlike what we see in Malaysia today. You want to see race and religion politics? Just look at mudland. If you are not a Muslim or a bumi, you will not be allowed to hold sensitive top positions in the government. Your kids are also far less likely to enter a malaysian university of the course of their choice if they are not Muslim or bumi.

Singapore is not perfect, people can be racist at times, but as a whole, Singapore is far less racist than Malaysia and most places in the world, including USA.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
You guys must be living in denial. Singapore as a multi-racial and multi-religious society is the architect of PAP's leadership, which has steered Singapore on a completely different path unlike what we see in Malaysia today. You want to see race and religion politics? Just look at mudland. If you are not a Muslim or a bumi, you will not be allowed to hold sensitive top positions in the government. Your kids are also far less likely to enter a malaysian university of the course of their choice if they are not Muslim or bumi.

Singapore is not perfect, people can be racist at times, but as a whole, Singapore is far less racist than Malaysia and most places in the world, including USA.

stop side tracking, call a spade a spade. asking voters to vote for a chinese is nothing wrong.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The fact is uncle DAVID ONG did fuck around other people's wife and disgracefully resigned. Whereas there is no basis nor truth about CSJ beng a hypocrite.

The msm is giving LHL lots of airtime to attack SDP by putting words in SDP and than come around to defend those words. Will Bukit Batok voters buy PAP's wholesale?

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fap like to play victim card to get $17 k paycheck.no one force them to dish out a weak candidate.