• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sg Citizenship Sold to Gong Li! Lelong!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And these are the people Sg NSmen sacrifice their time, health and even their lives to protect? WTF!

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Citizen Gong Li
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><TR>Chinese actress said to have taken up Singapore citizenship; local authorities remain tight-lipped </TR><!-- Author --><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Jamie Ee Wen Wei
</TD></TR><!-- show image if available --><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
ST_IMAGES_JEGONGLI2_8.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

Gong Li is well known for her starring roles in movies such as Red Sorghum and Memoirs Of A Geisha. -- PHOTO: AFP
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>
viewMorePhotos.gif
View more photos
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->The white chair had a small label with the words 'Gong Li'.
But no one arrived to sit on it.
At the Supreme Court Auditorium last night, 150 new Singapore citizens gathered to receive their citizenship certificates from Speaker of Parliament Abdullah Tarmugi at the National Citizenship Ceremony.
Indian-born scientist Colin Gerard D'Silva, 42, was in the chair next to the one for 'Gong Li'.
He wondered: Could it really be the acclaimed Chinese actress, star of movies like Red Sorghum, Curse Of The Golden Flower and Memoirs Of A Geisha?
'I thought it might be her, or someone with the same name,' said Mr D'Silva, who works in Proctor & Gamble as its associate director of external relations.
Well, the answer is most probably 'yes'.
Sources had tipped off The Sunday Times that Gong Li, 42, one of China's most famous actresses, had applied for Singapore citizenship and was supposed to collect her pink IC at the event last night.

=> But skipped cos it's a total waste of time since she could still retain her PRC passport under 1 cuntry, 2 systems?

She married Singaporean tobacco businessman Ooi Hoe Seong in 1996. He is said to be based in Hong Kong.
When contacted, the authories were tight-lipped about the identity of 'Gong Li' although an official expressed surprise that we had heard about it.
An Immigration and Checkpoints Authority spokesman said she was unable to comment on individual cases due to confidentiality issues.
A spokesman for the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports (MCYS), which organised the event, would only say that 'a person by the name of Gong Li was supposed to be at the event'.
Still, some officials at the event were clearly expecting the superstar to show up. Two were overheard discussing the actress. They even pointed out the actress' seat - No. 133 - to The Sunday Times.
But she didn't turn up in the end.
When The Sunday Times contacted Gong Li's friends in Singapore, some were shocked to hear that the actress has become a Singaporean.
Photographer Wee Khim, 44, who last worked with Gong Li in June for a L'Oreal commercial in Thailand, said it was 'quite a big move' to switch citizenships.
But celebrity hairstylist David Gan was not surprised at all. He said it was 'old news'.
'I knew about it a few months ago. She told me she applied for a Singapore passport. I told her it's good and I even congratulated her,' he said in Mandarin yesterday.
Gan, who is in his 40s, revealed that Gong Li had stayed in Singapore for a week in May to apply for the citizenship. He did not ask her why she decided to become a Singaporean.
Noting that he also became a Singapore citizen, the Malaysian-born hairstylist said: 'Singapore is a good place. She travels a lot and it's convenient to hold a Singapore passport. A lot of stars like to stay here too. There's no paparazzi. When I walk down Orchard Road with Gong Li, nothing happens.'
Both Singapore and China do not recognise dual nationality.
To become a Singaporean, an applicant is required to renounce his foreign citizenship at his embassy in Singapore.
The final step would be to attend a citizenship ceremony to collect his Singapore identity card. All new citizens are required to do so and if they can't attend one ceremony, they will be rescheduled for another.

=> U believe?

The ceremony is held at the constituency level or at the national level. In the latter, selected groups are chosen to get their papers in a more formal setting.
Gong Li, who was born in east China's Shandong province, is most famous for her acclaimed Zhang Yimou movies like Red Sorghum and Judou. She broke into the Hollywood scene in 2005, playing a Japanese geisha in Memoirs Of A Geisha. It was the first of three big English-language productions she has shot since.
Her wedding to Mr Ooi was held at the top-floor restaurant of the Bank of China building in Hong Kong and guests included Lin Ching-hsia, Leslie Cheung and Anita Mui.
Mr Ooi has a daughter, now 30, from a previous marriage, but he keeps a low profile.
In earlier reports, the actress had told the media that she did not intend to make Singapore her home. 'No, I doubt it. Hong Kong and Beijing will still be my bases because of my work,' she said in 1996.
She is said to fly to Singapore two to three times a year and enjoys the shopping and food - like bak kut teh (pork ribs soup) and prawn noodles - here.
It is not known how her new identity will affect her work.
Besides her filming commitments, she is also reported to be an elected member of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), China's lower house.

=> In other words, she's a commie. No security issue? Or CSJ and co. are more dangerous people in the eyes of the Leegime?

Last year, she attended a session of the CPPCC in which she made a proposal on environmental issues.
Some were more than happy to have the Chinese actress become a Singaporean.
Said China-born Jasmine Li, 33, an assistant secretary who became a Singapore citizen last year: 'Now Singapore will have an extra star.'

=> Secretary also need PRC? *Ptui*

[email protected]

How do you feel about Gong Li possibly taking up Singapore citizenship? Send your comments to [email protected]

Do you think Gong Li should give up her China citizenship? Log on to straitstimes.com to vote

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkapore should have a 1-for-1 exchange policy with other countries....

And I say we give China our own over-the-hill actress Zoe Tay

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
citizenship for gongli (multi award winning actress) is only just the beginning. i bet they're aiming for big time FTs... especially after this impressive olympic opening that dropped the world's jaw, unrolled all the tongues of critics.

no surprises if they'd be fleshing our hard earned tax payers $, to get zhang yimou in for the youth olympics... n subsequently throw him the lil red book (sg passport)... hehehe

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Although she is married to Singaporean tobacco man, she is rumoured to be with a new China boyfriend for the last couple of years. Before she married, director Zhang Yimou, who brought her to fame, was her lover.

Husband wearing the green hat?

PAP_agent

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing wrong with this piece of news at all. When a couple marries, one party is perfectly entitled to the c'ship of the other.

travelbug

Alfrescian
Loyal
She is no longer living with her Sporean husband in HK. I think she is afraid of getting a divorce cos of alimony charges brought on her by husband. I think Sporean husband can do that too if wife is rich.

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
She is no longer living with her Sporean husband in HK. I think she is afraid of getting a divorce cos of alimony charges brought on her by husband. I think Sporean husband can do that too if wife is rich.

If they are married under Singapore laws, there is no such thing as ex-wife paying alimony to ex-hubby. Women are protected from this by the women's charter.

In fact, her ex-hubby is required under the Singpore law to provide alimony to the ex-wife, even if it was the ex-wife who is guilty of adultery.

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
If they are married under Singapore laws, there is no such thing as ex-wife paying alimony to ex-hubby. Women are protected from this by the women's charter.

In fact, her ex-hubby is required under the Singpore law to provide alimony to the ex-wife, even if it was the ex-wife who is guilty of adultery.

Why is our PAP government still wondering why is our males not biting the bait ! And not marrying due to shitty laws here !

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why is our PAP government still wondering why is our males not biting the bait ! And not marrying due to shitty laws here !

They do not even have the slightest clue. They are just shitting around, twiddling their thumbs, wondering when is the next "Golden Period" (if ever there was one) so that they can give themselves another million dollar salary raise, over and above another 8 month's bonus.