• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singaporeans especially young are largely contented

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Singaporeans especially the young are largely contented. Note that this in my opinion from my own personal, possibly biased observation.

Firstly, let's talk cost of living. Yes, this is the number one grouse and sg is really an expensive city. But wages have gone up too. The typical starting salaries of grads is over $3000, and certain professions can start at over $4000.

There are truly exorbitant areas like orchard rd. But at the heartlands and even if you journey a bit away from the orchard area to md sultan, etc, prices are reasonable.

Home prices are more affordable these days, thanks in large part to the increased salaries as well as to a lesser extent the cooling measures. Fresh couples with just two yr work experience can easily afford a 4 room flat.

Jobs can be more easily secured by locals these days even though they are so many foreign people here. Gone are the days where you have to send out 50 resumes just to get one miserable response. Typical grads get multiple offers, some of them even before graduation.

To sum up, young Singaporeans don't really have that much to complain about these days and life is quite good on the whole

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. By and large, they (the youth) are better off today than in the past. One big contributor to this is this is that their parents are a more educated and enlightened lot than their parent's parents were. There is little objection to fashion fads and trends. Kids are permitted to hangout quite easily these days than before. Parents seldom object to kids attending functions, occasions and often encourage the kids to be active and participate in them. Teenage crowds are also better behaved these days and more social, and friendly. (Back in my time, going to the local CC to play a round of carom also kena find trouble by pai-kia, very often tiok taiji). Police these days also are less petty. Unlike last time always kena spot check by VC. Play skateboard also cannot! Things are a lot better now. But some things not improved. Like, now very hard to get ganja. However the kids won't miss it! (They after all, don't even know what it feels like to get stoned!) But at least, overall, life has improved.

Cheers!

Singaporeans especially the young are largely contented. Note that this in my opinion from my own personal, possibly biased observation.

Firstly, let's talk cost of living. Yes, this is the number one grouse and sg is really an expensive city. But wages have gone up too. The typical starting salaries of grads is over $3000, and certain professions can start at over $4000.

There are truly exorbitant areas like orchard rd. But at the heartlands and even if you journey a bit away from the orchard area to md sultan, etc, prices are reasonable.

Home prices are more affordable these days, thanks in large part to the increased salaries as well as to a lesser extent the cooling measures. Fresh couples with just two yr work experience can easily afford a 4 room flat.

Jobs can be more easily secured by locals these days even though they are so many foreign people here. Gone are the days where you have to send out 50 resumes just to get one miserable response. Typical grads get multiple offers, some of them even before graduation.

To sum up, young Singaporeans don't really have that much to complain about these days and life is quite good on the whole

Alfrescian
Loyal

you are correct......HOWEVER, with this sense of "contention", they have lost the drive and hunger for survival.....I would put this "young people" at the current younger than 40 year olds. When they loose their jobs, they have no idea what to do next and how to get back on their feet. They will not sacrifice their "contented entitlements" and expect to live as if nothing has happen..... its too easy for them to take out their mobiles and shoot off on some social media app that they have forgotten how to survive in the real world and live as a human being...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not sure that is the case. What I sense is that the glue that held the earlier generation as a society with more or less a common identity has more or less disappeared largely due to the foreign influx and the shift in dynamics. The young are just scrambling to get a job, to keep that job and get a family going. I see them surviving more than living if that is the right term.

They also do not have the channels or voices that we had albeit in a limited way. The smarter ones take advantage of the various scholarships and stay apart from the rest.

I suspect they are making do with that they have until they hit with retrenchment and uncertainty. I don't see a pathway that one would see with a hard working young Singapore as we saw some 20 years. Then we can confidently tell that so and so will do well in life.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think Sinkies are that contented, many are worried about jobs and cost of living.

In the past, I hardly see any Sinkie youngsters in their 20s working in the hawker centre near my home. But nowadays, I see a lot of youngsters working in the hawker centre, many of them working in their parents' stalls. Looks like it's getting tougher to get good jobs for youngsters, they've to turn to working in their family's hawker stalls for a living.

Also many middle-aged sinkie PMETs are worried of retrenchment. Last year 71% of the retrenched were PMETs, and two-thirds of the retrenched were aged 40 and above.

Chart of the Day: Virtually zero jobs were created for locals in 2015
- See more at: http://sbr.com.sg/economy/news/char...e-created-locals-in-2015#sthash.qBUVtWOr.dpuf

Lay-offs spike to record high since 2009 Global Financial Crisis: MOM
- See more at: http://sbr.com.sg/hr-education/news...bal-financial-crisis-mom#sthash.EcKSmMBn.dpuf

Turbulent times ahead for Singapore employment market, warns MOM
- See more at: http://sbr.com.sg/hr-education/news...loyment-market-warns-mom#sthash.ajB5iBEw.dpuf

Middle-aged executives hardest hit by layoffs; seen as too costly to retain, too old to hire
- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...t-by-layoffs-seen-as-too-costly-to-retain-too

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You are a dreamer. Keep it up ...stay positive because you need lots of it to tahan life here.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think Sinkies are that contented, many are worried about jobs and cost of living.

In the past, I hardly see any Sinkie youngsters in their 20s working in the hawker centre near my home. But nowadays, I see a lot of youngsters working in the hawker centre, many of them working in their parents' stalls. Looks like it's getting tougher to get good jobs for youngsters, they've to turn to working in their family's hawker stalls for a living.

Also many middle-aged sinkie PMETs are worried of retrenchment. Last year 71% of the retrenched were PMETs, and two-thirds of the retrenched were aged 40 and above.

Chart of the Day: Virtually zero jobs were created for locals in 2015
- See more at: http://sbr.com.sg/economy/news/char...e-created-locals-in-2015#sthash.qBUVtWOr.dpuf

Lay-offs spike to record high since 2009 Global Financial Crisis: MOM
- See more at: http://sbr.com.sg/hr-education/news...bal-financial-crisis-mom#sthash.EcKSmMBn.dpuf

Turbulent times ahead for Singapore employment market, warns MOM
- See more at: http://sbr.com.sg/hr-education/news...loyment-market-warns-mom#sthash.ajB5iBEw.dpuf

Middle-aged executives hardest hit by layoffs; seen as too costly to retain, too old to hire
- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...t-by-layoffs-seen-as-too-costly-to-retain-too

The original article takes a very narrow view. A young GRADUATE couple can easily afford a 4rm flat. But only approximately 30% of locals are grads.

The author's observations must have been of a small privileged group of youngsters.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
In this Golden Age of Prosperity and Progress, naturally there will be many happy winners and contented buffoons who benefit from the trickle down. The unhappy ones are the losers left behind, of course. It goes without saying there will always be unhappy losers no matter who runs the government. It is simply not conclusive to use anecdotal accounts to conclude there is more or less. That is why you must take the government's word for it.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good observation. I only realised it after you mentioned it.

Also noticed that some young graduates are now working in non-western countries and we are not talking about expat terms. In early 2000s, I do recall that many young locals in the hotel industry left to work in the Chinese hotel industry as it as cheaper to hire Filipinos.

]

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The presssure in today's society is so high,how can the youth be contented?the people more likely to be contended are those born in the 70s or 60s,the simpler times,where the dumb uneducated fucks can raise a family or own a hdb on a single male breadwinner income.simpler times simpler life,dun need to squeeze mrt dun need fight with 2 million trash for jobs,homes,limited spots etc.can remain ignorant and dumb as still rice bowl secured,today at my poker games 50 percent are university grads at least,20 years ago if u graduate from poly u are considered a genius.youth are more likely to become political activists.tell me the last tim ewhenstimsaw a 40 or 50 year old auntie or uncle championing for sinkie rights?ignorance is bliss and singapore was a very happy place 20,30 years ago.

Ts u fucking cunt,diu lei lou mou,let me ask u this,when my mom was 25 with a kid,she could buy a hdb flat because they cost 60 or 70k.how many 25 year olds today can own or buy hdb today unless they are bumiputera race with 3 kids?if I can scrap together 70k for downpayment and expenses and buffer zone do u think I want to blow it on a pigeon hole? I rather keep the money and invest in dividend shares and stay rent free in mom's basement.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
since i don't have all the data and stats, can only provide views on my nephews and nieces. it's big extended family, and out of 23 nephews and nieces, half have "good" paying full time jobs while half are either part timers or earning less than $2000 per month. "good" means $4000 and above. half graduated from universities overseas, and out of this batch, half have "good" paying jobs while half are still looking for their elusive "perfect" jobs but earning subsistent wages (for meals, fares, clothes) not to be out of the job market completely. all except one who graduated from local universities have gov-related jobs: teaching, defense, glc. the lone local grad works for a big pharm mnc. the not-so-lucky work in customer service, bank, f&b, sales, freelance translation, etc. only 3 so far are married, have spouses who work, and commit to buying condos or hdb flats. they have cars. all are happy, jovial and preoccupied with their own lives and circles of friends in sg. they travel often regionally and ocassionally far away for leisure and feel that sg is still the cleanest, comfortable, convenient, and safest haven for them to enjoy a cocoon kind of lifestyle - air-conditioned, makan-friendly, water-wasting, commute-convenient, cafe-everywhere, parent-handout, relatively crime-free. and they are very proud and defensive when comparing sg with neighboring cuntries. politics and retirement are on the low end of their priorities. all will most likely inherit assets and wealth from their parents, so they f*ck care shit about the latter. only one who is u.s. educated understands the value of building equity and planning for the long term, thanks to his major in finance and valuable stay with his jaga uncle. :wink:

elggiuqs

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are wrong TS, 3-4k will never be enough if you have a family. If you only take the amount, living a cheap life and feeding your parent only. It might be enough.

Most young people are in education debts, where they have to pay their starting earnings to their parents/school for their school fees. Some more we got recession and everything. Where many graduates complain that they can't find jobs or underpay. Only public service will pay you 3-4k straight.