• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New OBS campus on Coney Island

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1078733822189323&substory_index=0&id=125845680811480

LHL Facebook

Starting right means starting young. When I was in Secondary 4, aged 15, I attended the Outward Bound Singapore ( OBS ) course on Pulau Ubin. For 17 days my coursemates and I were stretched to our limits, learnt to work together, and mastered new skills like crossing this rope bridge. It was a significant growing up experience for me.

Nowadays, OBS courses are shorter. But they continue to help young people to build confidence, resilience, and teamwork, skills and attitudes critical if Singapore is to thrive and prosper.

That is why Heng Swee Keat's #SGBudget2016 speech yesterday included building a new OBS campus on Coney Island, so more youths can benefit from an Outward Bound experience.

The Budget also had other items to help our young grow up to be the best they can be:

We will make First Step grants ($3,000) into the Child Development Account of each eligible Singaporean child, to help pay for their healthcare and childcare.

A new initiative, called KidSTART, will give children whose parents need more support a good start in life.

We will also help families with young children living in rental housing own a home again, under the Fresh Start Housing Scheme.

More details at bit.Iy/1MFT7tY

You can view Swee Keat’s full speech here: http://bit.Iy/1VLZfrH

- LHL

(Photo courtesy of National Archives of Singapore)

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I believe that an individual could not attend the Outward Bound School on Pulau Ubin, unless he or she is age 16.

I attended PU Course 70 when I was age 17 in Pre U One, during the June school holidays.

jw5

Loyal
I believe that an individual could not attend the Outward Bound School on Pulau Ubin, unless he or she is age 16.

I attended PU Course 70 when I was age 17 in Pre U One, during the June school holidays.

These days, they have a course for 14 to 17 year olds and one for above 17 year olds. :wink:

rotiprata

Alfrescian
Loyal

uncle,... he was the SAF first rocket general.. you know ?

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why spend S$250million on a new OBS campus when you can collect cardboard as a form of exercise/activity-just ask Tan Chuan Jin and the 70% who voted for them how to do it.
Maybe all CC's should organise " how to improve your health by collecting cardboards "classes-only locals need apply as foreigners are mostly staying in condo's with their own gym.
I'm not familiar with OBS-only know terms like Skills at Arms, 10km with FBO, ect2,

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
because the OBS = outdoor bonking session will be less obvious to peasants when MPs from Piak & Piak party goes for human glue bonding with the members of Pimp Association and their comfort women wings.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Can. I attended OBS when in secondary three.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why spend S$250million on a new OBS campus when you can collect cardboard as a form of exercise/activity-just ask Tan Chuan Jin and the 70% who voted for them how to do it.
Maybe all CC's should organise " how to improve your health by collecting cardboards "classes-only locals need apply as foreigners are mostly staying in condo's with their own gym.
I'm not familiar with OBS-only know terms like Skills at Arms, 10km with FBO, ect2,

OBS is one of my best school memories. I agree with LHL - first time agree - to build new campus for that to benefit more students. Well worth to spend the $250m for Singaporean students rather then frivolously on foreigners.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
u want to benefit all students? start by scrapping those overseas scholorships to allow foreign students to compete here for free.
next, scrap the stupid PSLE that creates nothing but undue stress and deformed mentality from young that results is everything. Along which, all the tution, enrichment and craps will go down.
learning is via experience and failures and not pursuit of paper results.

jw5

Loyal

Above 60 - collect cardboard. Below 20 - attend OBS :biggrin:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just send 15 year old students to work at Kfc/macdonalds/jollibee etc for minimum wage. It will teach them humility and real life skills

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just send 15 year old students to work at Kfc/macdonalds/jollibee etc for minimum wage. It will teach them humility and real life skills

This is not mutually exclusive. The 15 year old students can go enjoy such camps and yet work part time if their circumstances so required. And I am speaking from experience. One should not have narrow mind to deny the students from enjoyment.

Last edited:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is not mutually exclusive. The 15 year old students can go enjoy such camps and yet work part time if their circumstances so required. And I am speaking from experience. One should not have narrow mind to deny the students from enjoyment.

That's the whole point. The 15 year olds today and back then are very very different. Young sinkies simply aren't as hungry compared to the pinoys/ah nehs/ah tiongs.