• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

History of Ammo Storage in Singapore

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Professor Lui Pao Chuen, Singapore’s ex-chief defence scientist, took one for the team, literally—he once got hit in the arm with shrapnel from an exploding bullet while testing equipment for the military.

AsianScientist (Mar. 23, 2016) - When armies store explosives, it is in heavily-secured ammunition dumps equipped with blast barriers, vast buffer zones and other safety measures. In 2000, the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) was so impressed by Singapore’s R&D in ammunition storage that NATO incorporated the findings, sparking a revision of international safety standards.
Singapore’s efforts effectively made ammunition dumps around the world more compact and space-saving than ever before. But how is it that a tiny country in South-east Asia, which has never expended a single round on a battlefield, could become a guide for a war-seasoned region 10,000 km away?
All this is the result of a calculated risk by one man: Lui Pao Chuen, adjunct professor of industrial and systems engineering at the National University of Singapore, and Singapore’s chief defence scientist from 1986 to 2008.

Going under
In an effort to free up land for residential and industrial use, in 1994 Singapore’s urban planners asked the Ministry of Defence (MINDEF) to move its ammunition storage site, a British colonial vestige, out of Seletar East. The 100-hectare site crippled land usage far beyond its own boundary—nothing could be built for 300 hectares around it, while buildings for 800 hectares around could not have large glazed windows in case of an explosion.
MINDEF tasked Professor Lui with finding an alternative site. He thought of moving the dump underground at a disused granite quarry. One at Mandai appeared the most feasible. The quarry had already been dug out, providing easy access; it was not being used for anything else, and any potential blasts would be shielded by solid rock.
There was just one problem: the existing safety codes, which had been developed for rural mining in an earlier era, did not adequately address ground shock—specifically, the impact of an accidental blast on surrounding high-rise concrete buildings. Singapore thus had to begin developing its own safety models.

“That motivated me to go back to the fundamentals,” says Professor Lui, who studied physics as an undergraduate at the University of Singapore.
He soon discovered a simplification in the formula used to determine safety distance in the current ammunition storage standards. When 20 ammunition pallets are placed together, for instance, conventional explosion models regarded them as a single large mass.
“But in a realistic storage configuration, they behave more like 20 smaller masses,” explains Professor Lui. “The peak pressure from an explosion would be much lower than if they were a single mass.”

To develop and test the models, the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) gathered local and international experts from as far as Norway and the US. The team tested explosions of up to ten metric tonnes of ammunition in varying terrains, including the harsh deserts of New Mexico and the snowy landscapes of Sweden.
Work at the Mandai quarry began in 1999, and the underground ammunition facility was officially commissioned in 2008. It is recognised as the world’s most urban and compact ammunition dump for its large capacity.
Building the underground facility, a world first for such an urbanised area, “created a different mindset—that we dare, that we believe in our physics,” Professor Lui says. Moving the ammunition facility from Seletar to Mandai has freed up about 300 hectares of land, or an area half the size of Pasir Ris New Town.
Moreover, as with water purification, a resource shortage—land, in this case—had spurred
Singapore to innovate, in the process setting new global standards.
“The top expert from Norway sponsored Singapore to become a member of the NATO underground storage working group,” says Professor Lui. “The international experts participated in our tests and were satisfied with the scientific evidence that we had used to determine our safety codes and gladly accepted them. That’s how Singapore’s safety codes became international codes.”

Hairy escapes

Professor Lui’s journey from young physics graduate to chief defence scientist was, in his opinion, fortuitous. In 1966, the 22-year-old was working for a British science research body—part of the country’s lingering presence in Singapore in the immediate post-independence period—capturing radio signals from a satellite that orbited Earth.

A former classmate who was helping develop Singapore’s nascent defence industry informed Professor Lui that the military needed technical personnel.

“I went to see the director of logistics at the MINDEF headquarters on Pearl’s Hill. In the organisation chart of the logistics division there was a section called Test, Evaluation and Acceptance and I would be the officer-in-charge. I asked: ‘What do I do?’ ‘Everything we buy, you test,’ he said.”
Professor Lui soon had a personal hand in almost all new military supply. Consider uniforms.

“We couldn’t use the Western sizes, so the tailor measured me and we decided I was a medium. So whenever I went to the store and drew a uniform, it was a perfect fit,” he says. (Sizing charts have since been reassessed for today’s better-nourished soldiers.)

He grew similarly acquainted with bullets for the AR15 assault rifle.

“When the first batch was ready, I tested it and bang! A bullet exploded. They had put too much charge in the casing... bits of brass embedded in my arm were quickly removed.”

Later that year, the British shocked many when they announced that they would withdraw their military presence from Singapore by the middle of 1968. As the SAF rushed to mechanise with tanks, artillery, new aircraft and ships, Professor Lui was caught up in the resulting scramble.
“The jump from infantry force to armoured force was actually a consequence of... the withdrawal of the British,” he says.

As project director for the SAF’s first armoured vehicle, Professor Lui was placed in some precarious positions. One narrow escape was while he was testing an armoured vehicle for amphibious use in the Jurong River. The driver had his hatch open, as per testing procedure, but Professor Lui, up in the turret, saw the vehicle tilting nose-down when it entered the river.
“I went down to tap the driver on the shoulder to close the hatch and bring the vehicle up, and at that moment, I saw a wall of water,” says Professor Lui. “It struck me, and I didn’t have a helmet on so my head hit the turret basket, which knocked me out. I was unconscious for two minutes.”
Although the driver floated up, Professor Lui was trapped inside the vehicle, which had gone down sideways in the water.

“When I came to, my first thought was: ‘If I don’t find my way out, my son will have no father’,” he says.
Fortunately he managed to escape through one of the vehicle’s side doors. From that point on, he conducted all water training with a scuba diver in attendance.
In 1973, he returned from a two-year stint at the US Naval Postgraduate School with a master’s degree in operations research and systems analysis. At the time, the amount of engineering work at MINDEF had dipped, and the engineers there were farmed out to the rapidly expanding commercial defence industry, and to places like the Public Works Department. That era marked the growth of the Chartered Industries of Singapore, which was producing weapons, ammunition and other equipment, and of defence firms like Unicorn International.
But by 1980, Professor Lui says, “it was very clear that we were spending a lot on defence, but the engineering capacity was inadequate to support that level of capital expenditure.” Compared to Israel or Sweden, Singapore had a sixth of the engineers per dollar of military spending.
“Either we were six times as smart, or we were doing only a sixth of what they were doing.”
He presented the finding to Goh Chok Tong, then the defence minister, to lobby for more engineers, to maintain equipment, test it, and write the software for it.

Three decades on, the military employs some 5,000 engineers, up from 250 at the time.
“Without that jump, we could not have gotten the maximum benefit from all the investments we had made,” Professor Lui says.
Singapore’s modern-day military and defence industry is a well-oiled machine, a far cry from those gung-ho days when young graduates like Professor Lui were entrusted with large responsibilities.
“We must make full use of the knowledge that has been created over some 50 years, and not have to make the same mistakes again,” he says.
But for all the military’s technological might, to Professor Lui, it is still people who are the source of its strength.
“When I look back, armoured vehicles, aircraft missiles—all these are objects,” he says. “It’s people and organisations that live and grow and appreciate over time, while equipment depreciates. It’s the people that make the difference, not the hardware.”

A culture of secrecy
Professor Lui’s own career path, from young graduate experimenting with standards to chief defence scientist, has mirrored the evolution of Singapore’s military, from a young nation just finding its way to a technologically advanced force to be reckoned with.
Perhaps it is unsurprising, then, that he believes that the next stage of the military’s maturity will depend on greater openness.
“While some things must be kept secret, you must also allow information to flow so that knowledge can be accumulated,” he says. “Knowledge, if not shared, is lost.”
For instance, researchers often buy satellite images of Singapore from commercial firms. But there are local agencies and institutes taking images of Singapore that are newer and of higher-resolution. If scientists are barred from using these for security reasons, Professor Lui argues, science loses out.
“If you don’t know what you don’t know, then you are making decisions based on only a subset of available knowledge,” he says. “That’s a very serious loss. So I’m an advocate of openness and shared data.”
For that spirit of generosity and universality it is not just all Singaporeans, but ammunition-storing countries across the world as well, who owe Professor Lui a debt of gratitude. Read more from Asian Scientist Magazine at: http://www.asianscientist.com/2016/03/features/sg50-pioneer-lui-pao-chuen-defence-science-maverick/

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Great article! Thanks for sharing!

I am so proud that our singapore is like the Israel of the far east.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I still have a mental picture of the ammo dump, the dry musky smell...was it in Pasar Laba Camp?, in Nissan Huts, memory not so clear...had been so long time ago....collecting bombs with a unimog.....with a red flag at the back.

It is good that they store the ammo...underground!

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
we should legalise guns like USA and turn all our store rooms into ammo dumps. apart from the occasional gun massacre,no other countries in the world would dare to invade us.

[video=youtube;UP7qp5iQDYY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP7qp5iQDYY[/video]

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I still have a mental picture of the ammo dump, the dry musky smell...was it in Pasar Laba Camp?, in Nissan Huts, memory not so clear...had been so long time ago....collecting bombs with a unimog.....with a red flag at the back.

I recall one at rifle range and another in seletar in the mid-70s. not sure if they are still around though.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
In my humble opinion, the real danger to me is not ammo storage. Rather, its in the manufacture of actual ammo itself. Most ammo are inert when they are stored. Many require fuzes to activated before it can explode. However, the manufacturing process requires the precise mix of highly volatile and explosive elements. Most of the accidents involving ammo have been in the ammo plants themselves. Years ago when I was in the SAF, I visited the Chartered Industries factory in Jalan Boon Lay, and was shocked at its close proximity to HDB flats and residences. I don't know if the factory is still there,but if it is, this is where the real danger lies. An accident in the factory will cause more chaos then any accidents in an ammo dump.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
we should legalise guns like USA and turn all our store rooms into ammo dumps. apart from the occasional gun massacre,no other countries in the world would dare to invade us.

[video=youtube;UP7qp5iQDYY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP7qp5iQDYY[/video]

Interesting picture, but who the hell uses 10mm ammo?

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Interesting picture, but who the hell uses 10mm ammo?

There are a few manufacturers make 10mm pistol and sub machine gun. Browning hi power, HK mp5, sig sauer p220, glock 29 are few of the pistol that have models that can chamber the 10mm. Fbi use the 10mm because of more stopping power after a gun fight result in dead agents.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why the fuck he need to go down to tap the driver to close hatch? No comms? Even comms rosak still have guiding stick. So he climb out to tap driver yet he stuck inside vehicle when vehicle sunk? I catch no ball in what he trying to say. Can safety assume it not AMX13 as it cannot water ops.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Why the fuck he need to go down to tap the driver to close hatch? No comms? Even comms rosak still have guiding stick. So he climb out to tap driver yet he stuck inside vehicle when vehicle sunk? I catch no ball in what he trying to say. Can safety assume it not AMX13 as it cannot water ops.

Ok, let me explain. Its the Bionix, as he mentioned it was singapore's first armoured vehicle. Read the sentence properly. He did not climb out of the vehicle to tap the driver. he actually bend down inside the Bionix to tap the driver. That is why when the water wave hit the vehicle he said he hit his head on the turret basket and was knocked out. The only way his head hit the turret basket is if he was inside the tank, not outside. Also, he said he was not wearing a helmet (a clear safety violation when you are testing vehicles), hence he had no comms. Lastly, the stick is not in use anymore by the time of the Bionix. If I recall, the M113 Ultra and AMX-13 SM1 were the last vehicles to use it. Maybe some scholar taught it was too low tech and primitive? Anyway, it was good device and saved a lot of vehicles.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

My question was why did they not build the ammo dump on Pulau Tekong or Pulau Ubin? That way, they don't have to spend all that money hiring international experts and doing all that testing and designing a high tech ammo dump. Any explosion on those islands will not effect that much civilian population. All SAF camps and bases have a small ammo dump for the standby units and for training purposes. That's enough for the ready units to be fully loaded. The rest of the ammo can be brought over from the islands.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My question was why did they not build the ammo dump on Pulau Tekong or Pulau Ubin? That way, they don't have to spend all that money hiring international experts and doing all that testing and designing a high tech ammo dump. Any explosion on those islands will not effect that much civilian population. All SAF camps and bases have a small ammo dump for the standby units and for training purposes. That's enough for the ready units to be fully loaded. The rest of the ammo can be brought over from the islands.

Uncle, u out liao. The ammo dump inside gedong no longer operational since the 90s. I doubt another camps have live ammo in camp. They worry nsf or NSmen break into the dumps and drive the SM1 down orchard road.

Btw, I don't think he stuck in the BX. The BX turret cage is lock and the VC cannot touch the driver at all. And he said he open a side door which the BX don't have. I think it should be the Cadillac V100 series type of armour car.

I converted to BX during reservist. the guiding stick still SOP item leh.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Uncle, u out liao. The ammo dump inside gedong no longer operational since the 90s. I doubt another camps have live ammo in camp. They worry nsf or NSmen break into the dumps and drive the SM1 down orchard road.

Btw, I don't think he stuck in the BX. The BX turret cage is lock and the VC cannot touch the driver at all. And he said he open a side door which the BX don't have. I think it should be the Cadillac V100 series type of armour car.

I converted to BX during reservist. the guiding stick still SOP item leh.

Ah yes, I did not read further about the side door. It should be the Cadillac V100, as it predates even the AMX-13. I am not talking about ammo dump. I know the one that you are talking about , it was next to the old 46 SAR camp. I am talking about the ammo dump in the actual unit camps. if your unit is on standby, for example, your ammo has to be in the same camp as you are in. So that you can load up immediately and not wait for ammo to be delivered from Jurong or wherever the main storage is. Otherwise, it defeats the purpose of having a quick reaction force. Usually, they hold just 2 or three belly loads for one platoon of tanks. Its not a huge ammo dump. But usually, it can hold more.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Liu PC let his slaves do the work the he claim credit.

Don't be a cock lah. In his days, the SAF was run on a shoe string budget, what slaves does he have? Today, you would never hear his name because he would never have been handed the reigns. Some scholar would be his boss and he will do all the work and the scholar will take all credit.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't be a cock lah. In his days, the SAF was run on a shoe string budget, what slaves does he have? Today, you would never hear his name because he would never have been handed the reigns. Some scholar would be his boss and he will do all the work and the scholar will take all credit.

Or rather he learnt to suck cock a lot. Which scholar took his credit? This Liu got all the awards. His name is big, bigger than you family

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I recall one at rifle range and another in seletar in the mid-70s. not sure if they are still around though.

Both I have been but that had bees ages & past my time in SAF......we don't visit or allowed to visit SAF facilities like 'amusement' parks......don't thing they are around these days, hence the underground ammo dump, land space is precious, free land can be sold for billions....:biggrin: