• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

BMT to select potential Olympic shooter.

jbsmith

Alfrescian
Loyal
From Straits Times Forum

'Shooting, our salvation.'

MR TAN CHENG-YANG: 'We have finally won an Olympic medal after having waited for over 40 years. And yet, this feat has only prompted controversy. Let's look at the problem from another perspective and ask the question: 'Are we playing the wrong sports for Olympic gold?' I believe the answer is a resounding 'Yes'. I believe shooting to be our salvation because of National Service. If we select one person from each Basic Military Training (BMT) cohort, we can have four shooters per year selected from thousands. We must recognise that our chances are extremely slim if we concentrate our efforts on the wrong sport. If we really truly want to win with native Singaporeans, we must first find a sport in which we stand a good chance at winning. Then, we must maximise the number of people who play this sport to spot the talent. I believe that if we select shooting as the national sport, we have the best chance to achieve Olympic glory within the next decade.'

madmansg, what is your view? :p

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually i think is a good idea.....since in NS...we learn how to shoot different types of weapons...

We should take part archery....as well.
We are pretty good at that in NS.

:biggrin: :p :biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If soldiers can shoot for Olympic medals, then Singapore is even more hopeless. China have 3 million soldiers. Even Indonesia have 1 million.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
olympic shooting??? wat kinda events r we talking about here? air rifle? air pistol? trap shooting? these categories r remotely related to the kinda range we're going thru in the SAF... might as well suggest we send snipers from the brigades?

pls wake up from the olympic dream. if we're gonna send soldiers to participate in shooting events for olympics, the only shooting we'd be doing is - shooting ourselves in our own foot.

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
If soldiers can shoot for Olympic medals, then Singapore is even more hopeless. China have 3 million soldiers. Even Indonesia have 1 million.

Standing Army? You can pick your winners from among the Snipers. But I can tell you some of them can't shoot.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
Standing Army? You can pick your winners from among the Snipers. But I can tell you some of them can't shoot.
u're wrong my fren... shooting, everybody can... just squeeze the trigger. the fact is, we've got half an army of bobo shooters. some can even miss an elephant by a mile.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
olympic shooting??? wat kinda events r we talking about here? air rifle? air pistol? trap shooting? these categories r remotely related to the kinda range we're going thru in the SAF... might as well suggest we send snipers from the brigades?

pls wake up from the olympic dream. if we're gonna send soldiers to participate in shooting events for olympics, the only shooting we'd be doing is - shooting ourselves in our own foot.

I think India's representative is an army major or something like dat.

Certaain things in life we think its not possible, not because its not possible but because we failed to do beyond our thoughts.

Many champions in the world started off because they decide to do rather than think. Potential is one thing, but without hard work, the potential will never be released.

If you think you can never be one, you will never be one. If you think you can do it, even at the end of the day, you can't be one, at least you tried. The 1st part of not even trying, how to reach the end result?:o

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
...... Many champions in the world started off because they decide to do rather than think. Potential is one thing, but without hard work, the potential will never be released.

If you think you can never be one, you will never be one. If you think you can do it, even at the end of the day, you can't be one, at least you tried. The 1st part of not even trying, how to reach the end result?:o
LOL, the SAF was never a stumbling block for many of our sportsmen/ athletes. the SAFSA scheme is set in place to facilitate n assist the athletes excel in the sports while serving NS. nevermind if they'd introduce new sports, so more of out NS boys can find legit excuse to skip field training.... bt at the end of the day, we're still a long long way behind where medal tally is concerned.

adidas slogan says: impossible is nothing...
in sg we say: possible, so what?

have the gahmen done enough to truly nurture a strong & substantiated sports culture? ever wondered y many of the medal sweeping nations have had remarkable results in the shortest possible time?

the answer: sports scholarship. it gives the child from the poor family a fighting chance in life, thru athleticism. its takes the children off the streets, n set them on a straighter path.

so far, parents r coughing blood just to put their kids in the sports campus... is that really how we're supposed to be producing athletes? for if that really is the case, they shouldnt even be bearing flags when they participate in the tournaments/games/meets. they should be flashing poster sized photos of their folks who've been behind them all the way to achieve the sporting dream.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is the greatest joke i have ever heard. It either this joker has never been through SAF or his pea brain has been effected by the tropical soil disease.

This new army guys can become shooter (olympic shooter) , just because they fired an m16 or SAR 21 rifle because they attended range ? ASk our olyimpic shooter, despite a wealth of international competition , he still cant even smell the TOP 30 position.

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
ASk our olyimpic shooter, despite a wealth of international competition , he still cant even smell the TOP 30 position.

He's at least lucky enough to con Sports Council to pay for his 2 years training just for Beijing 2008. For a fact, he missed on his first opening shot; bloody disgrace. The irony is the whole shooting fraternity knows he can't make the grade but SSC feels otherwise. And our Olympic shooter blame it on bad luck for his lacklustre performance.

:cool: