• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Any life advice that me as an early 20s can hear?

Kaielogy

Hi all the big bros here, I've ORD earlier this May, it's like finally but quickly shut down as I need to either continue uni or start work, I choose to work as I believe I didn't have the heart to go uni and even if I do I don't have the confidence to do well. So I been in and out of jobs and currently in this 1 year contract with Singtel as an associate engineer earning a over 2k+...I also have a gf that is working as admin a bit lesser than my salary. It's like in singapore is it enough with combine pay of like 4k? I don't know if I am able to get higher increment or able to get a perm job, I will do my best but I really need some advice as I progress, I just passed my 23rd birthday, thinking of the future kinda stressed me out, do I need to earn enough to get a car? or how much do I really need as a safe figure to have like a decent 3-4rm flat..getting married, how much monthly do I really need to earn to live normally with sometimes able go overseas, parents also old and always nagging about no time for family get together..how you guys juggle work life gf/wife, parents and also if have kids how, how much health I need to sacrifice to support all this? is it a must to have them? Feels a bit overloaded at the moment..

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Think outside the box and that means outside the borders of Singapore.

You don't have to build to go through life stuck on that tiny, hot, crowded little Island. At your age, you can go anywhere you want in the world.

Refer to my retirement thread for some financial advice.

sgfinance

I'm also figuring out the same questions myself.

Would you like to join my group about thinking of ways to get rich?

PM-ed you the link privately.

blueRad

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are still young so at least you have a good headstart compared with many old spring chickens in this forum.

First thing first, don't saddle yourself with debt. Buying a car in Singapore will leave you with years of debt which forces you to participate in the rat race or compromised for a lower quality job just to maintain your SOL.

Having no debt leaves you more room to maneuver.

Since you are getting married, just have a simple wedding which gives you more money for honeymoon. If your fiancee disagree, dump her. Not worth getting into years of debt just to fulfill her ego.

For health, just maintain a healthy weight and eat right. Buy a private Medishield integrated health insurance which is cheap and protect you from unforeseen health consequences.

elggiuqs

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are still young so at least you have a good headstart compared with many old spring chickens in this forum.

First thing first, don't saddle yourself with debt. Buying a car in Singapore will leave you with years of debt which forces you to participate in the rat race or compromised for a lower quality job just to maintain your SOL.

Having no debt leaves you more room to maneuver.

Since you are getting married, just have a simple wedding which gives you more money for honeymoon. If your fiancee disagree, dump her. Not worth getting into years of debt just to fulfill her ego.

For health, just maintain a healthy weight and eat right. Buy a private Medishield integrated health insurance which is cheap and protect you from unforeseen health consequences.

I totally agree with this bro words, maybe you can enroll yourself to part time degree. Where you can study and earning money at the same time. Combine salary of you and your gf might be enough to marriage without having kids/living your current lifestyle. But anything beyond these of course will never be enough.