• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Happy Diwali

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Had a good laugh when I read this - Diwali (Deepavali here in Singapore) time, and they talk about diabetes and urge people not to eat samosas! The intentions are good, but the timing is really really bad! Haha!

Cheers!

http://www.mississauga.com/communit...etes-foundation-calls-samosas-as-time-bombs-/

STOP Diabetes Foundation calls samosas as ‘time bombs’

Mississauga News

By Nouman Khalil
At a time when Indian community is celebrating Diwali festival, STOP Diabetes Foundation termed popular South Asian snacks like samosas and sweets ‘ticking time bombs’ and urged residents to avoid unhealthy food this season.
The foundation, a not-for-profit charitable organization working to reduce the level of diabetes in Peel region, this week launched a campaign titled ‘Say no to sweets this Diwali’ against unhealthy snacks.
The campaign poster reads, ‘Lets celebrate a healthy Diwali’ and shows samosas and sweets like lado, jalaibi and gulab jaman as grenades that are about to explode.
“Basically these (sweets) are ticking time bombs,” said the foundation’s founding chairman Harpreet Bajaj. “Not only sweets, but snacks like samosas are also ticking time bombs. All of these things are causing diabetes and heart diseases in our community. This Diwali, we should have either no sweets or as little as possible.”
The poster also gives nutrition list of fat, carbs and calories contained in each snack.
“Each South Asian is at risk and this call is not only for people with diabetes, but it’s for everybody. All South Asians should try to reduce the consumption of these unhealthy snacks and sweets,” said Bajaj.
Diwali, also known as Festival of Lights, is an ancient event mainly celebrated by Hindus, Jains and Sikhs across the globe. The festival spiritually signifies the victory of light over darkness.
Traditionally, most people celebrate Diwali while partying and eating together and distributing sweets and doing fireworks in the dark.
“There are other possible ways to celebrate. Dance, exercise or walk together instead of consuming high-calorie sweets and snacks. Take a fruit basket to a friend or relative rather then taking a box of sweets,” said Bajaj. “Other options are almonds, nuts, apples and healthy salad.”
The campaign is part of the foundation’s mission to reduce the level of diabetes in Peel region, which is the highest across Ontario, by 2020.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
So backward huh sg. Everyone call it Diwali they still never change. Very bad! Our President Toony Tan should get the ball rolling by wishing everyone Happy Diwali.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
POSB has this banner titled 'Deepavali New Notes'.

posb_diwali_homepage_980x280.jpg

However, if you check the image file name, it contains 'diwali'.

Preety much tells you who's doing the backend support jobs in the bank. :wink:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think Deepavali is the term used in South India and in Northern India, they say Diwali. Don't know if there is any difference. In Singapore, most of the Indian settlers were from the south (Tamils), hence we're used to hearing Deepavali here. In the Indian communities (South Asian, not Red Indians) in North America, Diwali is used.

And yes, Indian food is great. It is no wonder that high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, and obesity is common among Indians (for those with a regular job that is). And alcoholism too!

Cheers!

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Judging by the silence to this from the Hindu crowd to this, I suppose they don't. Do you?

Cheers!

i was asking you on why would non hindus care? That's my entire point in which you have not answered. Oh no you did. Wait let's so back and read your postings again.

Diwali or deepavali who gives a fuck.

Many people do. Hindus in particular, and everyone else who boozes and get to sleep in on the official holiday.

Cheers!

Why would they care if it's called diwali or deepavali?

Judging by the silence to this from the Hindu crowd to this, I suppose they don't. Do you?

Cheers!

See go back and read your earlier postings to me. I asked who gives a fuck whether it's called diwali or deepavali. You say oh the hindus and non hindus who get to booze and sleep.

I then highlighted on the non hindus and ask you why would they care what it's called since to them it's just a holiday and then you reply to me you say judging from the silence of the hindu they don't after all which means you contridicted yourself. You told me many people do and hindus in particular and in this post you tell me they don't. :rolleyes:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are being pedantic here. I said that Hindus in particular would give a fuck ABOUT Deepavali (or Diwali), and then later I said that judging from the silence from the crowd, it looks like they don't bother whether it CALLED Deepavali (or Diwali).

Cheers!

i was asking you on why would non hindus care? That's my entire point in which you have not answered. Oh no you did. Wait let's so back and read your postings again.

See go back and read your earlier postings to me. I asked who gives a fuck whether it's called diwali or deepavali. You say oh the hindus and non hindus who get to booze and sleep.

I then highlighted on the non hindus and ask you why would they care what it's called since to them it's just a holiday and then you reply to me you say judging from the silence of the hindu they don't after all which means you contridicted yourself. You told me many people do and hindus in particular and in this post you tell me they don't. :rolleyes:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are being pedantic here. I said that Hindus in particular would give a fuck ABOUT Deepavali (or Diwali), and then later I said that judging from the silence from the crowd, it looks like they don't bother whether it CALLED Deepavali (or Diwali).

Cheers!

yeah why would they when this forum probably has none