• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

83 yr old man in Ang Mo Kio can't afford 3 meals a day for himself and his wife

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
12043167_10156169055310503_3584633078112266767_n.jpg

http://mothership.sg/2015/10/old-ma...-because-he-doesnt-want-to-burden-his-family/

Evan Poh posted on Facebook here :
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...0454433405503.642927.550085502&type=3&theater

I was walking along Ang Mo Kio Central tonight, when out of the corner of my eye I spotted an old uncle standing blankly next to a bin. I’m not sure what prompted me to approach him but he had a strange despairingly look. It was a look I was not familiar with.

“Is everything okay?’’, I asked him in mandarin. He seemed quite surprised by my question and said he was okay, but just a little hungry. He then immediately asked if I could spare him some money for food.

Instinctively all my alarm bells went ringing. This has to be a scam and I’m not about to be your victim. I’m not going to fall for your little pity ploy. So I said sure, let’s go to a nearby coffee-shop and I’ll buy you some food. He seemed relieved by that suggestion.

Upon getting a seat, and at his request we ordered a bowl of fishball soup and some iced milo. We started to talk. Uncle is 83 this year and he has a wife at home that he cares for, however she isn’t with him as it is inconvenient for her to leave the house. His son, in his fifties, gets by earning $1000 a month, which is insufficient to support the family. And therefore, to avoid being a burden, he resorts to asking for meals and money from the public when they get hungry.

And then suddenly, I was overcome with shame. Here I was, an able bodied working adult, earning a decent salary and never having to worry where my next meal was going to come from, yet here I was, worried that an old man was about to swindle me of a couple of dollars. Uncle said that the people who were most willing to help were usually the youngsters because they were the least suspicious. And it taught me an important lesson today.

It seems that we have become a nation of detached, distrusting strangers. As we grow older and as many of us enter the corporate world, we grow increasingly disillusioned of the world and its devices. We learn to look after our own interests first. We become cautious, skeptical and apprehensive. We forget to take care of one another. Perhaps if we learn to care for one another a little more and choose to see the good in people, then maybe, just maybe we can make the world a slightly better place for those who need it most.

A short while later, i left him with some money and went on my way. It was probably the most meaningful amount of money I’ve spent in a long long time. Sometimes we forget how blessed we truly are.

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was probably the most meaningful amount of money I’ve spent in a long long time. Sometimes we forget how blessed we truly are.[/QUOTE]

You cant beat our Vivian B and his Gang, they have Sinkies Blessing for looking aft the Poor here.

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Couldn't find a poster with Vivian's "Do you want three meals in a hawker centre, food court or restaurant?" quote

quote-if-you-want-to-dance-on-a-bar-top-some-of-us-will-fall-off-the-bar-top-some-people-will-vi.jpg

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how about starting a charity to feed the poor?how about lobbying ur government to take care of the elderly?how about starting a civic movement or raising social issues about welfare and safety nets?how about voting for a opposition voice in parliament?

after u give him a couple bucks whats it gonna do?change his fate for a couple days?then hes back on the street scrouging and digging in rubbish bins?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
can't afford 3 meals a day? cut it down to 2 meals. it's not rocket science. for me, i'm only on half meals twice a day. that's equivalent to a full meal a day. why must sinkies think that 3 full meals a day should be the norm? :rolleyes:

countryman

Alfrescian
Loyal
can't afford 3 meals a day? cut it down to 2 meals. it's not rocket science. for me, i'm only on half meals twice a day. that's equivalent to a full meal a day. why must sinkies think that 3 full meals a day should be the norm? :rolleyes:
Don't think the old man can even afford 2 meals a day!
This is just a general term "3 meals a day" that people used when making an expression.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

theres a massive difference between hunger and poverty and a scrawny looking asian with a body mass of a 9 year old who looks like e.t. whose diet consists of a plate with a fig and a tortilla chip on it.

BBRhFo3.jpg

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
The portion of the meal in Singapore is small in hawker center. Mostly carbo and not enough protein meat.

Sinkies are eating for $3.50 meal to pay for eating carbo only.

now wonder Sinkies are stupid people keep voting PAP, lack of nutritional food.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you can't afford meat, then eat fish. Someone said something to this effect.

In her mind, she probably thinking of her leopard grouper, black promfret, 'Ang-gor-li' and milk fish!

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal

Actually it greatly depends on the meal. For old folks eating less per meal is better. Stick to fresh and greens... Eat only when you are hungry.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
The old man with plenty of free time could have saved more money by doing some careful wet market shopping for cheap fresh ingredients for home cooked meals where all the family members (son earning $1000/mth) including his home bound wife will benefit instead of eating at food centres presumably near his home (orherwise busfare is also expensive). Food at hawkers centres in SG is not cheap.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
din I hear repeatedly by MP AMK that NO ONE will be left behind?? how did this happen???.........benefits all taken by f trashes with nothing left for locals

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal

..............yeah & want to eat in food courts when eating shits suffice??????? LOL