• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dick Lee connected to PM Lee

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You may be wrong?
Rick is short for richard? no?

Dick is actually a family name.

Dick is short for Richard. Bill short for William. Jack short for John. Bob for Robert. Liz for Elizabeth. Jill for Gillian. And so on.

Talking Anglo-Saxon names and their traditional contractions.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dick is short for Richard. Bill short for William. Jack short for John. Bob for Robert. Liz for Elizabeth. Jill for Gillian. And so on.

jack John, Jim James, Ted Theodore Edward, Peggy meggy Margaret, Molly Mary, Sally Sarah, Hank Henry.....
Some angmos will outright ask you beforehand how you liked to be addressed after knowing your name

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal

But i think dick lee is really just dick lee, not short for richard lee.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But i think dick lee is really just dick lee, not short for richard lee.

Why would we want to worry so much on this, of this was Dick or Richard, or Thomas, Richard or Harold.....it takes, how many decades for that jerk, to realise that...the two LEE's are connected....& yet wax lyrical that he use to go to the premises at Malacca Street...such a bloody snob, one is DICK in name, the other a jerk...

If I were the others LEE's...I don't want to know this jerk..

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alamak. I ever park my car beside Loong before also considered connected to the Lee dynasty? :confused:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Babas were favoured by the colonial govt because of their facility with English. There was a pecking order in the civil service then: Ang Mo, Eurasian, Baba Chinese, Indian, Malay.

The rest of the Chinese (under 3 generations) were known as 'sin kek' (new guests) Chinese – they were either merchants/traders or coolies/peasants fleeing hardship in China. They were only conversant in dialect, Mandarin (educated in Chinese stream), some pasar Melayu and broken English.

Yes. The mass immgration of sin kek was actively encouraged by the British who regarded them as cheap and dependable labour for the rubber plantation and tin mines.

The babas and the eurasians saw themselves as fake angmors. But when the Jap imperial army came, they did not give these 2 groups any special concessions and treated them as bad as the Chinese. The Japs did their homework before the invasion and knew alliance with the Malays and (the anti colonial) Indians should be their strategy to win local support -- the Malays due to their indigenous status; and Indians because India would be their next conquest once the Burmese railway was completed. Always good to win local supporters.

After the war, LKY also understood the racial game very well and actively courted the sinkek supporters. That was key in Pap's win against Lim yew hock and David Marshall.