• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Skiing holidays - Is there a cheaper alternative beside Korea ?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
North korea

very broad and straight downhill at masik pass. only for elites. :p

image.jpg

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
i am also thinking fo going to a cold winter country for my holidays, any suggestions? i have tokyo or seoul in my mind, back packing style.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Heard Whistler is beautiful, but never had the chance to go

Yes Whistler is a great place but not practical if you are going for a short holiday because it takes about 15 hours to get to North America & another 15 hours to get back. Then you have the problem of jet lag.

However if you are going to fly to Whistler BC, might as well make the effort to visit Banff which is next door in Alberta. In Banff you can ski at Lake Louise & Norquay. Banff is also a nice place to visit in summer.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Banff which is next door in Alberta. In Banff you can ski at Lake Louise & Norquay. Banff is also a nice place to visit in summer.

My family and I have been skiing in the Alberta Rockies every weekend the past 2 years. Had family season pass for Sunshine Village in 2013/2014 - absolutely awesome! Had Nakiska season passes 2014/2015 but it was a warm winter and Nakiska is only so-so. Got ourselves Lake Louise season passes for 2015/2016 season! Opening day is Nov 3. Can't wait! *snow dance*

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My family and I have been skiing in the Alberta Rockies every weekend the past 2 years. Had family season pass for Sunshine Village in 2013/2014 - absolutely awesome! Had Nakiska season passes 2014/2015 but it was a warm winter and Nakiska is only so-so. Got ourselves Lake Louise season passes for 2015/2016 season! Opening day is Nov 3. Can't wait! *snow dance*

Banff is probably the most beautiful national parks in north america. Even prettier than what you will find on the american side.
In summer Banff is also a nice place for holidays. The Banff/Jasper National park is also where you will find the Columbia Ice Fields.

[video=youtube;gNp0ywYRcNk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNp0ywYRcNk[/video]

I know that many prefer downhill skiing but if you want to try x-country skiing, Jasper which is next door to Banff has plenty of cross country skiing trails.
For those on a budget Banff & Jasper have nice youth hostels. The one in Banff is usually fully booked, so you need to make reservations

NanoSpeed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes Whistler is a great place but not practical if you are going for a short holiday because it takes about 15 hours to get to North America & another 15 hours to get back. Then you have the problem of jet lag.

However if you are going to fly to Whistler BC, might as well make the effort to visit Banff which is next door in Alberta. In Banff you can ski at Lake Louise & Norquay. Banff is also a nice place to visit in summer.

You are right about practicality. It's the forum No. 1 cheapo going for skiing after all, so cost is a big factor. I'm even trying to sidestep Korea for cheaper ones, so anywhere in North America is pure fantasy stuff.:wink:

But it's great to learn about other destinations.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
You are right about practicality. It's the forum No. 1 cheapo going for skiing after all, so cost is a big factor. I'm even trying to sidestep Korea for cheaper ones, so anywhere in North America is pure fantasy stuff.:wink:

But it's great to learn about other destinations.

Cathay SIN-YVR in Jan roundtrip is only about $1350 SGD. Rent a car in YVR, and drive yourself around, stay in AirBnBs, you can spend 1 week plus there quite reasonably. No matter where u go, skiing is an expensive hobby. If you don't have your own gear, buy it in Vancouver or North America. What u save versus buying in Korea is alone worth the air ticket.

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Hi Nano - I stayed in Seoul and took a shuttle to the ski slope.

This was the site I used to book. Just email them and they will offer you everything.
http://www.winterfriend.com/

I took a package that costs me 105k Won per adult and it consists of return trip on ski bus, rental of ski equipment and full day ski pass

In addition, I also took private lessons.

Here. But prices may have changed. It has been 3 years.
ski lessons.jpg

The whole trip started very early and I only got back into my hotel in Seoul at night around 9 to 10pm.

FYI - The Winter Sonata was shot at YongPyong, but that's a little further away. Heard it is very beautiful but was a little too far out and you may want to stay a night there. I wanted to stay in Seoul and hence chose Daemyung.

Hope this helps.

NanoSpeed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Nano - I stayed in Seoul and took a shuttle to the ski slope.

This was the site I used to book. Just email them and they will offer you everything.
http://www.winterfriend.com/

I took a package that costs me 105k Won per adult and it consists of return trip on ski bus, rental of ski equipment and full day ski pass

In addition, I also took private lessons.

Here. But prices may have changed. It has been 3 years.
View attachment 24249

The whole trip started very early and I only got back into my hotel in Seoul at night around 9 to 10pm.

FYI - The Winter Sonata was shot at YongPyong, but that's a little further away. Heard it is very beautiful but was a little too far out and you may want to stay a night there. I wanted to stay in Seoul and hence chose Daemyung.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Bro.

I know where YongPyong is. I have been there twice for skiing. It's nice but expensive. It's very difficult to get hotels near YongPyong during winter season. I will scrutinize the URL. Thanks again !

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cathay SIN-YVR in Jan roundtrip is only about $1350 SGD. Rent a car in YVR, and drive yourself around, stay in AirBnBs, you can spend 1 week plus there quite reasonably. No matter where u go, skiing is an expensive hobby. If you don't have your own gear, buy it in Vancouver or North America. What u save versus buying in Korea is alone worth the air ticket.

It's cheaper to rent the the ski's. It is also more convenient as you don't have to carry the skis back to Spore, or do things like waxing the skis, sharpening the ski edges,.... However you can consider getting the ski pants, jacket & maybe the boots.