• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Skiing holidays - Is there a cheaper alternative beside Korea ?

NanoSpeed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Korea is cheap compared to Japan, but still the hotels in Korea are freaking expensive during peak season.

I'm thinking of going there by myself without joining any tour group. But I'm not sure if the cost will be lower. Looking at the inbound tours for skiing in Korea, they are pretty costly.

Would Harbin be a good alternative ?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you decide to ski or go tubing don't forget to get medical insurance in case you have an accident. Have seen people get injured & these injuries although not life threatening, may take months to heal e.g. broken limbs.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Korea is cheap compared to Japan, but still the hotels in Korea are freaking expensive during peak season.

I'm thinking of going there by myself without joining any tour group. But I'm not sure if the cost will be lower. Looking at the inbound tours for skiing in Korea, they are pretty costly.

Had a friend who brought his family some years back to Club Med Yabuli, just a 2 hour coach ride fro Harbin. He was given a family package for 5 days, worked out to $6.5k for a family of 4. The slopes were quite challenging, instructors conversant in English and Chinese, apres ski activities for kids.

Prices may have gone up since.

http://www.clubmed.com.sg/cm/resort-yabuli-china_p-362-l-AE-v-YABC-ac-vh.html#

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

I did Skiing in Korea free and easy. Dont need tour. I did check out the slopes before hand and booked the tix while in sg

NanoSpeed

Alfrescian
Loyal
I did Skiing in Korea free and easy. Dont need tour. I did check out the slopes before hand and booked the tix while in sg

Wow...finally got laojiao responding.

Bro, which particular ski resort did you go ? How far away from Seoul ?

How much did you pay for accommodation ?

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Wow...finally got laojiao responding.

Bro, which particular ski resort did you go ? How far away from Seoul ?

How much did you pay for accommodation ?

Let me try to trace back tomorrow and let you know. I was there a few years back. I only remember the journey to be around 1.30 to 2 hours out of Seoul. I will try to get the name for you.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Never done this (ski) before, so I don't know anything about did nor where to go. Was in Lahore (Pakistan) once and I think it won't be expensive compared to places like Aspen or Whistler. It is mountainous there, and possibly one would be able to ski too. Hear that the highest golf course in the world is there, and the game is very fast, probably because the Mujahideen operates there.

Cheers!

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Never done this (ski) before, so I don't know anything about did nor where to go. Was in Lahore (Pakistan) once and I think it won't be expensive compared to places like Aspen or Whistler. It is mountainous there, and possibly one would be able to ski too. Hear that the highest golf course in the world is there, and the game is very fast, probably because the Mujahideen operates there.

Cheers!

Heard Whistler is beautiful, but never had the chance to go

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I visited Vancouver City and stayed there for a week, driving around, but never made it to Whistler. I know a Malaysian family who emigrated to Toronto, their daughter graduated, worked in a hotel for awhile, and was posted to run a, hotel in Whistler, relocation expenses paid for. Not a bad deal! Hope to visit her there sometime. Vancouver is a nice place to stay as well. Rocky Mountains, and Pacific Ocean at one's doorstep, winters aren't as bad as Toronto, and out of this world scenery. For me, it is too expensive, and jobwise, is very limited compared to Toronto. Oh well.

Cheers!

Heard Whistler is beautiful, but never had the chance to go

NanoSpeed

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cheers!

Pakistan ? I don't want to be skiing with ISIS.:wink:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

You never mentioned when you are going. If off peak, you should try north america. Some of my friends go to ski there every year. 2 fav destinations are Whistler, BC and Park City, Utah. With the CAnadian dollar so low now, it might be cheaper to go to Whistler. If you are there at the right time, you don't even have to go that far. Some ski slopes like Grouse Mountain, Cypress, and Seymour are only 30 mins from Vancouver, I am retired from skiing now, as the knees are no good anymore.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
slopes at higher elevations in whistler may still be open in may. i was there last may and the top slopes were open. march and april are the best off-peak months as students are back in school and the winter crowd is gone. the village at base of slopes is quieter, and visitor doesn't need to wear too many layers of clothes and footwear. and there's no muddy ice and sludgy snow to contend with.

image.jpg

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
be careful in spring when you go off-trail at whistler for cross-country skiing. bears wake up from hibernation and start to look for munchies. occasionally they go wandering on lower ski slopes just out of total confusion. never fail to stop to check what bears have eaten if you encounter a hole in the snow with bear turd in it. :p

image.jpg