• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why Chinese shouldn't have Christian names

Pele

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whatever it is, it should sound nice and easy to remember lah.

After all, english name is for ppl to address you easily and also remember your name especially if you are a service provider and you wan your client to remember you when they need your service.

My Malay and Indian friends always tell me they cannot remember chinese names. :smile:

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whatever it is, it should sound nice and easy to remember lah.

After all, english name is for ppl to address you easily and also remember your name especially if you are a service provider and you wan your client to remember you when they need your service.

My Malay and Indian friends always tell me they cannot remember chinese names. :smile:

Keep the Chinese names simple then. Why action angmoh and have angmoh names especially when Chinkees have buck teeth and no religion to speak off? A pathetic soon to be extinct bunch.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
I happen to like names a lot...let me share my opinions

Chinese names are, in my biased opinion, the most beautiful and meaningful in the world. It represents the hopes and dreams of the parents for their child(ren). One way to capture the beauty of these names is to take a close look at the names of the HongKong actors and actresses.

Because the parents love their child(ren) so much, they want to protect them. They believe that there are evil spirits out there who want to harm young children. Thus they named their child 'Ah Teh' meaning Piggy. To tell them that these children are not humans. They are actually animals. Thus of no value to them. So go away! And don't bother the child(ren).

Take the name Jacky Chan. Cheng Loong means to become dragon. The chinese uses a lot of metaphors. Loong is the highest metaphor that can be used in the political world, to the chinese mind. It represents the Emperor. Thus Cheng Loong means to achieve completion, leadership and prominence in the area chosen by him. Contrast this with 'Jacky'. I do not know what 'Jacky' means though I believe it does not mean 'Jack of all trades'.

Thus the western name does not carry the richness and beauty of the chinese name.

Christian names are a different matter. They represent the hopes of the parents that their child(ren) will have the quality of the biblical character. Take the name 'Daniel'. Daniel served under 3 kings as the Prime Minister equivalent - he was politically astute and had leadership qualities. Daniel had deep personal integrity. He chose death rather than to bow to an idol. Daniel was regarded as the greatest prophet in the Old Testament. Daniel's prayers were held in the deepest regard by God. Daniel was granted a vision of the events that will signify the end of the world. Daniel had great friends who were prepared to die with him. Daniel was a vegetarian. Thus, as you can see, 'Daniel' carries a richer significance than 'Batmania'.

Since a name represents the fragrance of a person's life...chinese must be proud of their chinese names, western names are optional but hopefully meaningful...and christians can have christian names of people who qualities they admire. Speaking for christians only, christian names combined with chinese names can lead to great beauty and uniqueness. The rest is just for the child to live up to his/her name.

Last edited:

Adidas

Alfrescian
Loyal
easier to remember,unless now all those pinyin sometimes very difficult to remember and pronounce.
i dun think there is anything wrong with it.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Usually, among non-Christians, only Chinese seem to be taking on Christian or English names. It's common practice in Singapore, Malaysia, HK and even Taiwan (though it hadn't been a British colony). Malays, Koreans, Japanese and PRC Chinese seem to be quite resistant to such practice.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.. common practice in Singapore, Malaysia, HK and even Taiwan (though it hadn't been a British colony).
HongKongers (honkies, insulting?) do have some odd english names which can tickle to no end. Like Noodle Chen (now Akin?):p:biggrin:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Usually, among non-Christians, only Chinese seem to be taking on Christian or English names. It's common practice in Singapore, Malaysia, HK and even Taiwan (though it hadn't been a British colony). Malays, Koreans, Japanese and PRC Chinese seem to be quite resistant to such practice.

bro,

i thought that's because our Muslim friends already have derivatives... Mariam, for example, is a slight deviation from Maria. Juraimy, for another example, is a slight deviation from Jeremiah or Jeremy. needless to be Christian names, but English sounding names, and a number of lovely Muslim names i can offer as examples... Natasha, Natalia, Sasha... :wink:

Aussie Pete

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro,

i thought that's because our Muslim friends already have derivatives... Mariam, for example, is a slight deviation from Maria. Juraimy, for another example, is a slight deviation from Jeremiah or Jeremy. needless to be Christian names, but English sounding names, and a number of lovely Muslim names i can offer as examples... Natasha, Natalia, Sasha... :wink:
Hi mate - our baby's got an English and Chinese name... his birth certificate reads "Jaime Zheng Jiayang (and then surname)", so known pinyin is his middle names, Zheng being my wife's family name... so when at home, he's Jaime, when visiting our family in Shanghai, he's 郑家洋 - best of both worlds... :biggrin:

Big Sexy

Super Moderator
SuperMod
nothing great about the chinese name here...

my bro microsoft got a japanese name... 西北怪郎 now beat that... :biggrin: :biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yes, Malay names are given in Arabic, then romanised, just like Chinese names are given in Chinese characters, then romanised. I understand that Ibrahim = Abraham, Daud = David, Sulaiman = Solomon etc.

Korean and Japanese names are also given in Chinese characters. Wonder why the fad of adding on an English name doesn't catch on there.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Hi mate - our baby's got an English and Chinese name... his birth certificate reads "Jaime Zheng Jiayang (and then surname)", so known pinyin is his middle names, Zheng being my wife's family name... so when at home, he's Jaime, when visiting our family in Shanghai, he's 郑家洋 - best of both worlds... :biggrin:

that's really thoughtful of you to let your child carry the maiden name of your spouse.

alternatively, your child could be called Jaime Zheng (your last name), pretty much like Jason Scott Lee, but just the other way round, Jaime Zheng (your last name), and that's gonna be a pretty cool name!

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro,

Natasha also Russian mah. But those are sure lovely names of some gd FLs...

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Korean and Japanese names are also given in Chinese characters. Wonder why the fad of adding on an English name doesn't catch on there.

just as some folks would have trouble pronouncing zh in Russian, my name for example, have been bastardized to become zee hau, chee hau and what not... and sometimes even by Chinese...

heck, if they can't pronounce my Chinese name correctly, why not give them an easier alternative? :biggrin:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..pretty common amongst the European block, with a Nordic flavor to it
Maybe eastern block, unlikely nordic. As for latter, can only think of namesakes like bergit, brit. Mama mia, only what registers is they are blonde (crowning glory, that far I know) with blue eyes:p:wink:

Last edited: