• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MDA to spend $250m to create 2,000 jobs

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/414815/1/.html

MDA to spend $250m to create 2,000 jobs
By Timothy Ouyang, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 12 March 2009 1621 hrs

phpHv1md1.jpg

Photos 1 of 1

SINGAPORE: Singapore's Media Development Authority (MDA) is spending S$250 million to create and support some 2,000 jobs in the media industry this year.

The bulk of the spending will be used to stimulate a strong pipeline of high-value and exportable projects.

To this end, the MDA is calling for proposals for public service programmes and original TV concepts that can be distributed not just on television but via mobile and the Web as well.

It aims to support 2,380 hours of broadcast content this year - 200 hours more than last year.

MDA is also calling for proposals to help transform Singapore into a digital music hub.

MDA's chief information officer, Yeo Chun Cheng, said: "What we wanted to show to the industry is that the government will actually renew its effort. And in fact, we actually increased the amount of funding that we have traditionally made for media."

At its annual Media Business Forum on Thursday, MDA launched a "Future of Media" initiative that aims to establish strategic partner networks amongst local and international new media companies. This is to help grow the niche and emerging sector of the industry.

MDA will also continue to help media companies by matching their projects to S$1.3 billion worth of private media funds.

Mr Yeo said: "What MDA will try to do if you have a good proposal, (is that) we will act like a one-stop shop... If you have (the) right proposal, we will find you the right schemes that actually will help you support it. So, the money is there - they've just got to have the right projects."

MDA is also setting aside S$6 million to fund programmes to train and upgrade the skills of 6,000 media talents this year. This works out to S$10,000 per talent on average.

In addition, a new Media Training and Attachment programme will be set up to give local talents and media professionals global exposure and work opportunities. Some 150 talents are expected to benefit from attachments to local and overseas companies, which will be co-funded by MDA.

- CNA/ir

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
For that huge outlay, you would have expected more jobs being created than just 2k. If you do the maths, 250,000,000/2000 is $125,000 per job.

Are they trying to hire Nobel laureates cum rocket scientists to do a bureaucrat's job?

NissanViP

Alfrescian
Loyal
More jobs for FTs!!
Yeahhhhhhhhh......

:o :( :o

MDA already have huge numbers of FT working there, the proposal amount intended to spend $10,000 for each FT so-called talent upgrading programme instead to locals.

Locals continue to suck thumb like the way it is.

peterlth

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wonder if the scholar pass his maths test. Spend 250m to create 2000 jobs? WTF! It will cost tax payer $125,000 to create 1 job? Siao! And does MDA guarantees that each job goes to Singaporean?!

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
sounds like a waste of money for only 2k jobs. there should be almost 100k unemployed people right now.some of them with a portfolio full of certs plus experience... who don't feel like driving taxis yet.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
phpHv1md1.jpg

I'm an Indian Foreign Talent. Better take a good shot of me or I'll let you smell my armpit! *hee*hee*

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
....does MDA guarantees that each job goes to Singaporean?!

Good point-I can guarantee that most jobs will go to "Angmo" ,Indians and Pinoys i.e those FT that knows English and maybe a few PRC's .
Singaporeans ? -when they really cannot find an FT, then maybe Singaporeans will be considered.