• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Degree Glut In Singapore!! Taxi Drivers Will Soon Be Mostly Degree Holders! Happy?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
nus1107015e.jpg

Even as the Government provides alternative pathways for school- leavers to achieve career success, it has opened more university places this year.

Ministry of Education (MOE) figures show that 15,000 polytechnic graduates and A-level school-leavers have been given places in the six universities, including the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) and SIM University (UniSIM), for the new academic year.

This is 1,000 more places than last year and raises the age group's rate of entry into university - called the cohort participation rate (CPR) - to 32 per cent. The rate last year was 30 per cent.

MOE said it was on track to reach the target CPR of 40 per cent by 2020.

Among polytechnic graduates, 20 per cent of them won a place in a publicly funded university this year, said an MOE spokesman. A few years ago, the figure stood at about 15 per cent.

Most of the new varsity places were created from the expansion of SIT and UniSIM.

UniSIM in Clementi launched full-time degrees last year, offering just over 200 places in marketing, finance and accountancy.

This year, it added a human resource management degree and increased its intake to 288.

SIT, which offers niche degrees from overseas universities, started running its own programmes last year, offering 1,800 places. This year, it added more of its own degrees for a total intake of 2,080.

The other four universities, Nanyang Technological University, the National University of Singapore (NUS), the Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD) and Singapore Management University, also added more places and courses.

SUTD, which opened its Changi campus in May, admitted a record 386 students. Last year, the university, which partners the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and China's Zhejiang University, took in 332 students.

Yale-NUS College, the liberal arts institution, admitted close to 200 students this year, compared with 170 last year.

MOE said the six universities received about 39,000 applications from A-level holders, and close to 31,000 applications from polytechnic graduates this year. Each applicant usually goes for two, if not three, different institutions.

Students welcomed the diversity of choices in higher education - from the liberal arts courses provided by Yale-NUS College to the applied learning approach taken by SIT and UniSIM where classroom learning is integrated with real-life, on-the-job application.

Both UniSIM and SIT offer work attachment programmes that are longer and more immersive.

Polytechnic diploma holder Glenda Chua Huai Jiao, 20, chose a finance degree at UniSIM because of the industry-relevant curriculum and intensive work attachment programme.

"It always helps to gain real work experience. There's nothing like applying what you learn in the classroom to real-world situations," said Ms Chua, who hopes to work for a bank.

Parents welcomed the additional university places.

Sales executive Catherine Chai, 48, whose polytechnic graduate daughter secured a place in SIT to study tourism management, said: "My daughter wanted to go to Australia to study for a degree, but I cannot afford that. So I am glad she got a place in a local university. It is so much more affordable and I can use my CPF to pay her fees."

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/education/record-15000-to-enter-local-varsities-this-year

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Degree Glut In Singapore!! Taxi Drivers Will Soon Be Mostly Degree Holders! Happy

This can only spell good for Singapore. With more people educated in higher education, Sinkie can solve more complex problems like SMRT train disruption. One of the causes for the massive train disruption was because our SMRT maintenance folks are not degree holders. They lack analytical depth in problem solving.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Degree Glut In Singapore!! Taxi Drivers Will Soon Be Mostly Degree Holders! Happy

This can only spell good for Singapore. With more people educated in higher education, Sinkie can solve more complex problems like SMRT train disruption. One of the causes for the massive train disruption was because our SMRT maintenance folks are not degree holders. They lack analytical depth in problem solving.

My worry is that with a degree glut, my children's degree/masters/phD may seem less valuable. That may be an obstacle to help them climb up higher. I think we should restrict the number of sinkies who are allowed to study for a degree. If they aren't from a pedigree school, they should be content with either a poly diploma or some shitty degree from a private university.

Ah Gong was worried that too many degree holders may forment unrest, especially if we couldn't find sufficient jobs to keep them from being underemployed.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Now you know why the pappies have been making soundbites since National Day Rally 2014 saying that 'a degree is not important'.

Lower the expectations, plant the seed into the minds of listeners first. :wink:

Then again, why did the pappies build more universities after NUS and NTU? Because the tertiary education sector is so 'lucrative'. :wink:

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wow... what a IB trooper. Space trooper, star trooper or some bribed trooper? Trooper lacking analytical depth in problem solving.

Why... no degree? Poor dogs.

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Maybe ITE qualification can better solve smrt maintenance issues than degree holders.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

My worry is that with a degree glut, my children's degree/masters/phD may seem less valuable. That may be an obstacle to help them climb up higher. I think we should restrict the number of sinkies who are allowed to study for a degree. If they aren't from a pedigree school, they should be content with either a poly diploma or some shitty degree from a private university.

Ah Gong was worried that too many degree holders may forment unrest, especially if we couldn't find sufficient jobs to keep them from being underemployed.

If your retarded kids need to rely on a degree to earn a living then they are already less valuable to the country, we need people who can survive and thrive regardless whether they have a degree or not.

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal

why study when F Trashes with fake MSc or PhD beat them hands down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

What's wrong with giving drivers more education?

Sir_Fcuk

Lunch Corporal
Loyal

Wow... what a IB trooper. Space trooper, star trooper or some bribed trooper? Trooper lacking analytical depth in problem solving.

Why... no degree? Poor dogs.

Kena Arrow Trooper. Words from the a$$

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

If your retarded kids need to rely on a degree to earn a living then they are already less valuable to the country, we need people who can survive and thrive regardless whether they have a degree or not.

Need a degree to move up the scholar track lah. Don't be like that okay? I want my son to be a Brigadier General in future, and my daughter to be a director or even perm sec in the stat board. Both jobs need degree one, preferably obtained through PSC scholarship.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

In other developed countries, even a kindergarten teacher needs at least a degree to teach. And that is one of the reasons why Singapore did not fare well in the below primary school global teaching assessment score.

Look at Finland. A kindergarten teacher has to have a Master degree in order to teach. There is no reason why degree holders cannot find jobs in Singapore. We just have to raise the standard of our jobs.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

Need a degree to move up the scholar track lah. Don't be like that okay? I want my son to be a Brigadier General in future, and my daughter to be a director or even perm sec in the stat board. Both jobs need degree one, preferably obtained through PSC scholarship.

Exactly, so this type of retarded people need a degree then can do well, good and capable people do not need a degree and have real life skills can earn more than BG or Perm Sec anyday.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

In other developed countries, even a kindergarten teacher needs at least a degree to teach. And that is one of the reasons why Singapore did not fare well in the below primary school global teaching assessment score.

Look at Finland. A kindergarten teacher has to have a Master degree in order to teach. There is no reason why degree holders cannot find jobs in Singapore. We just have to raise the standard of our jobs.

Singapore believes in cheaper, better, faster. I do remember that when I was 19 years old waiting to go to NS, I briefly taught at a primary school as a relief teacher. I taught better than many of those so-called "trained teachers" who were armed with degrees and diplomas from NIE. Many of them seem tired, haggard and did not seem that motivated to teach. Hence, it is not necessary to get a degree and a diploma to teach well at primary school. An A-level student can do the job.

Finland is no longer great. Nokia, the pride of Finland's culture of innovation and education, was made bankrupt by Samsung and iPhone, which proves that the East Asian way of education is far superior to the Finnish system.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Singapore believes in cheaper, better, faster. I do remember that when I was 19 years old waiting to go to NS, I briefly taught at a primary school as a relief teacher. I taught better than many of those so-called "trained teachers" who were armed with degrees and diplomas from NIE. Many of them seem tired, haggard and did not seem that motivated to teach. Hence, it is not necessary to get a degree and a diploma to teach well at primary school. An A-level student can do the job.

Finland is no longer great. Nokia, the pride of Finland's culture of innovation and education, was made bankrupt by Samsung and iPhone, which proves that the East Asian way of education is far superior to the Finnish system.

Teaching is both an art and a science. In Finland, there is much passion in the teachers to teach. Why ? Because they love the job. And they are paid professionally well because they are highly qualified with degrees and masters.

You were there in a primary school only as a relief teacher and you thought you had taught better than the trained teachers. Try teaching for a few years and the results will speak for you.

True, Finland has lost much of its economic power due in part to Nokia's. But the Finns are a very knowledgeable and versatile people. They can go places where there is demand for their talents.

Singapore's education has to go up, not down. We are now competing against the best of the best in the world. How else can we claim we are first world if our SMRT trains break down incessantly ? How else can we ensure that we have the best SMRT trains in the world if we do not have the best engineering minds in SMRT ? How else can we have the best engineering minds if not for higher education ?

Last edited: