• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Vietnam tips: a first-timer's guide

vietnamhr3

Things to remember:

Do not drink tap water and choose only good mineral water kept away from the sun.
Avoid any cycle ride, unless is booked and paid thru the hotel.
Dress modestly and appropriately when visiting local dwellings and religious sites, etc.
Leave your valuables behind in the hotel safe box before a night out on the town, or going to the beach.
When crossing the road – especially in HCMC – always keep looking to the left and right and walk slowly!
Don't offer money directly to minority people – instead donate to a local charity or offer a small gift, such as pens.
However frustrated, don't lose your temper (“losing face”), as it won't get you very far!
By all means, sample the delicious street food but for hygiene's sake only at venues that are busy with a big turnover.
Always ask permission first before taking photographs, especially in minority areas.
Arrange for medical insurance (including the provision for emergency evacuation) prior to departure, as there is no free medical treatment available in Vietnam and the standard of local health facilities is below international standards.
Mind your change - the 500,000 and 50,000 notes look similar as does the 100,000 and 10,000 notes. While most Vietnamese are honest and used to tourists fumbling for the right currency values, a few will actively try to short-change you. Take your time to count the zeroes or you'll unintentionally make someone very happy.
Spring is a great time to travel in Saigon, Mekong Delta, Hoi An and Hanoi, and Halong Bay.
If you choose to go to Halong Bay, stay 2 nights because of the road trip, poor roads, it is a long way to go for 1 night, and you see a lot more in the 2 days

Source: http://vnmanpower.com

searcher1

Alfrescian
Loyal
My experience with HCMC is bad, DO NOT use their Cycle Ride, Big Scam ! Local police not interested in helping Tourist to sort out fare dispute. Cycle Ride will totally rip you off ... those Angmo Tourist must have spoil the market so badly. People will say why don't you ask the fare before you board, well these scammers will show you a cardboard, clearly shown USD$2 & further verbal confirmation it was $2USD only for a short trip to explore the area, about 5 min ride only ... when i alight, they jack-up the price to USD$20, i saw a local police nearby & i approach him for help. Guess what ... I have to pay those scammers USD $20 if i ever want to leave.