• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chief Justice Chan Sek Keong turns out to be a fair man

omega

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/Breaking+News/Courts+and+Crime/Story/STIStory_270150.html

CJ acquits man on appeal

The hotel caretaker had appealed for a shorter jail term.

By Khushwant Singh

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
cj.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

Chief Justice Chan Sek Keong (left) noted that there was no link between the threat of shooting SSSgt Lim and injuring her reputation. -- ST PHOTO: TAN SUAN ANN
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

'I find it difficult to appreciate or conceive how those words could have injured her reputation. The charge should have been dismissed on this ground alone.' - Chief Justice Chan Sek Keong

A HOTEL caretaker who appealed against his three-month jail term for threatening a police officer had his conviction quashed by the Chief Justice.

The charge against Mr Chan Yok Tuang, 48, was 'incoherent', said CJ Chan Sek Keong in a judgement delivered on Wednesday.

Mr Chan had pleaded guilty to criminal intimidation - for having threatened to cause injury to the reputation of Senior Staff-Sergeant Jessie Lim Geok Hwee.

What he said in Hokkien, however, was 'I will shoot her to death', which carried with it the intent of causing her alarm.

The CJ thus found no rational link between the alleged threat and the injury inflicted on her reputation.

He said: 'I find it difficult to appreciate or conceive how those words could have injured her reputation. The charge should have been dismissed on this ground alone.'

He added that the statement of facts describing the circumstances of the offence read out in the lower court showed that Mr Chan had merely intended to say that he wanted to file a complaint against SS Sgt Lim.

Her understanding of his utterance was that it was a threat on her life.

So going by the statement of facts, Mr Chan did not commit the offence to which he had pleaded guilty, the CJ said.

Mr Chan's lawyer Surian Sidambaram also argued last month that there was some confusion over the exact meaning of the phrase 'Wah soot hor yi see', which Mr Chan had used.

The lawyer had said that his client could have used 'soot' as the phonetic equivalent of the English word 'sue'.

The prosecution, on the other hand, suggested that Mr Chan had used a mixture of Hokkien and English and had meant 'shoot.'

Declining to speculate on the words used or their meaning, the CJ said that the only admissable evidence was what was stated in the statement of facts, which clearly indicated that, whatever Mr Chan might have said, it was not to threaten to shoot SS Sgt Lim.

The CJ also said that it was necessary to include the actual Hokkien words in Chinese characters as well as the phonetic equivalent in English in the charge, instead of having only the English translation of the words.

'What was said in Hokkien was understood by SS Sgt Lim in a sense entirely different from what the appellant (Mr Chan) had meant by his utterance.'

District Judge Adrian Soon had also erred by imposing the three-month jail term because he considered criminal intimidation to be a serious offence.

But the CJ noted that criminal intimidation covered acts of varying gravity, including acts which could not be said to be serious.

A relieved Mr Chan declined to speak to reporters but his wife said: 'This was so unexpected. We are so glad. Finally, this thing is over and we can return to our normal lives.'

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Would the outcome be different if the appellant's name is Chee Soon Juan, Chee Siok Chin or J.B. Jeyaratnam?

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
From now on I won't dare complain about any police officer lest I get charged for injuring their reputation. The best thing to do is to kowtow and apologise profuselyfor any unlawful act that one had supposely commited. Yes Sir, Yes Madam, Sorry Sir,Sorry Madam. Bend over? Yes Sir! Yes Madam!

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
maybe too earlier to judge him.
let him continue for a few more years,then can truly judge him.

american

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'll be interested to see how CJ Chan would react to Gopalan's case. You know, did Gopalan's prostitute words injured Belinda's reputation.

A

Alu862

I'll be interested to see how CJ Chan would react to Gopalan's case. You know, did Gopalan's prostitute words injured Belinda's reputation.

Gopalan should also be charged for calling all PRC Chinese spies.

Hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
No,actually is one country,two legal systems,when it does not involve PAP,it is really world class-I swear to it.

molly

Alfrescian
Loyal
The CJ also said that it was necessary to include the actual Hokkien words in Chinese characters as well as the phonetic equivalent in English in the charge, instead of having only the English translation of the words.

The CJ talking hokkien :biggrin: