• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Jakarta Indonesia

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Went to Karawang Timor (East Karawang) today for work. Its about 2hrs of 100km west of Jakarta. This area is part of Sunda in the western part of Java. Sundanese is considered an ethnic group with their unique culture, language and food of course.

Was brought to a very transitional Sunda restaurant that serves Pepes - pepes is food wrapped in banana leaves then roasted over fire so the filling could be anything like fish, chicken, mushrooms etc. Name of the restaurant is Walahar, it looks so old and very kampong kampong as the place I visited for work is really kampong setting. Here is a video of the restaurant and the kitchen as well:

[video=youtube;nv6yheF1Ezk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv6yheF1Ezk[/video]

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Allow me to go through each one

Pepes Jamur (mushroom) - little very fresh mushrooms

Pepes Tahu - texture similar to our tao-gua but fill with fragrance of herbs

Pepes Oncom - this is fermented tahu similar to tempeh, I like tempeh so I love this too

Pepes Jambal (made from Ikan gabus) - this is fresh water fish pepes, shiok

Pepes Teri (small ffish) - little fresh water fish

Pepes Ayam

Same as above pepes ayam but on my plate of rice - this is so so good the meat simply breaks from the bones and melts in our mouth

All the pepes are full of Indonesian herbs and spices and if you ask me which one I like I'd say I love them all.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
On top of the pepes we also had Ayam Bakar - bbq whole kampong chicken

Gurame Bakar - bbq gureme fish

Tehbotol is perfect to wash everything down

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Outside the entrance of the restaurant is a rojak man, there they call it Rujak. Idea is the same but its actually very different:

Carries two boxes one with the ingredient the other equipment. Unlike rojak, rujak do not have vegetable, beansprouts, tao-pok, u-char-kway ettc. Rujak's main ingredient are young mango, young banana, sweet potato, bangkwang, kedondong (our buah long long) and Tamarine

The sauce is pretty different too because for rojak we add sugar and peanuts for rujak they add the following - chilli, gilar merah (like our gular melaka), kachang tanah (peanut paste), salt, fresh tamarine, terasi (balacan) then pound it up all together

It forms into a paste

At this time can mix the fruits in or for some they prefer to have it separate

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Went to the Muarakarang wet market for breakfast on Tuesday here's a scene

[video=youtube;1D9TGptIviI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D9TGptIviI[/video]

Pork porridge with egg $3.00

Yong Tau Hoo without noodles just soup $2.50

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
This morning Thursday went to another market at PIK this I believe we can identify more as it looks like Singapore

Hawker centre upstairs of the market

The market

Prawn noodle $3.00

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Today took this video of northern Jakarta while landing

[video=youtube;JbV7CWiV3nM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbV7CWiV3nM[/video]

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Had a prawn beehoon mee soup this lunch at Papa Jacks (kopitiam), have to say its not too bad with the sambal. Costs $4.

look not bad right?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Looks very spicy. The sambal looks good. How does this taste different from the KL version?

Its not spicy at all what you are looking at cos the sambal not added yet. With sambal its just a little spicy and I think it tastes good because sambal has balacan so enhances the prawny smell and taste. Pretty good idea I must say.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Went to Sentul City about 60km south of Jakarta. Visited a local restaurant Karimata specialize in a ikan bakar dalam bambu or grilled patin fish in bamboo. Patin is a fresh water fish that looks like a shark and sometimes called shark catfish.

Below photos not so mice and its bright outside and dark inside

The restaurant

The special

Kangkong balacan

Ayam bakar

Selada Tahu Telor - a type of gado gado

Teri Balado Pete - pete with salted fish

The spread

A very chio MILF opposite my table

total comes to about $32

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Cost of living is not low for Jakarta for instance this morning a cup of kopiO in a hot wet market costs 90 cents

A bowl of pork porridge is $2.20

All Singapore prices

The stall

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Lunch at Soto kudos restaurant

All new table will be served a tray of food, pay what you eat

Quail eggs, fish balls, chicken hearts

Satay hum

The soto with rice

I like to add the begedil into the soto

Tomorrow going to Bandung

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Breakfast in food court now

not cheap right? KopiO already $1.75 and fried noodle $4.50 including service and tax

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Traveled to Bandung today its about 160km south west of Jakarta normally takes 3 hours but it could easily take more than that if there is a jam. I'm still in my car now while posting this on my way back. Bloody jam going there and coming back. Bandung is the 5th largest city in Indonesia according to a customer who told me today. It's up in a mountain so the weather is cooling throughout. Ladies there are fairer too. One famous dish in Bandung is their lotek which is hybrid version of gado-gado, someone brought me to the original shop for this Lotek - fresh vege in peanut sauce My lunch Another Bandung special is the dessert - kolak which is like chendol