• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Jakarta Indonesia

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Start this thread, my future Jakarta postings will be here.

Ok start with food la. Went to a Pala Adas Indonesian Bistro for lunch with 5 staff

Nice deco

Avocado is probably Indonesian's favourite drink, I personally don't like because it thick and heavy fortified with milk, sugar and chocolate

Kangkong balacan - I like this type of small kangkong

Brinjal - shiok

Pandan rice

Pork ribs done 3 different ways (please don't ask me if I have muslim staff, don't ask don't talk just eat)

Beautiful and juicy fried chicken

Chili giant prawns

Sliced beef with ginger

Gurame with herbs

Gurame with curry

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Went to an open air makan place tonight

This is what they call Amei as in prawn noodle hay-mee however it looks like mee-rebus, smells like mee-rebus and taste a lot like mee-rebus. I wonder why they don't call it mee-rebus. Ok there are some differences it does not contain tau-gua nor the green cut chili

This is the tall for Amie

Then there is this thing called LapChoy, looks like our Ngor Hiang with different fried stuff, you can't chose what you want as it comes in a set

however the surprise in in the inside - towgay and kangkong in starcy slightly sweet sauce

This is the stall for lapchoy

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Then there is this Popiah stall

The above looks very similar to our popiah however the difference with Singapore's popiah is they add generous amount of chicken meat and also chicken crispy floss. Tasted pretty good

Skin is a little thick though

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Finally found a kway kway stall

Make fresh bamboo kway and some coconut kway I got no idea what they actually call them

Two of each costs only $1

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
See how expensive a normal breakfast can cost in Jakarta

In an aircon coffee shop like our food court

had coffe with eggs and a lor mai gai

Bill that's $7

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Song Fa bak kut teh in Pantai Indah Kaput

Ribs

Liver

Kidney

Taste is very very good. Prices similar to Singapore

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Those leaving Jakarta at the airport, there is a CITI bank lounge, I always go there for a bowl of Indonesian Bubur Ayam

FUNCHOI

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Froggy,
very good food thread, thanks.
i Love Indon food. Seems their (homegrown) kangkong is thicker and darker green.
yes, i Love their kangkong belachan.
Love their Gudeg too.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
By the way, did you try their kopi luwak?
(Civet coffee).

I tried there in some luwak coffee joint. I had also bought some packets back from an exporter for family and friends. Have to be honest that I don't really know how to appreciate this coffee. Still love our old style coffee-shop kopi-O

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Had Nasi Uduk this morning. Very sinful breakfast I must say so not finish

Consisted of 4 dishes - beef rendang ; begedil ; duck fried egg ; fried chicken

Another angle

with a glass of tea this costs $6.50, not cheap

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Breakfast at a typical Chinese run coffee shop in northern Jakarta. Like our coffee shop there are many stalls. It always amazes me the cost of makan in a Chinese run establishment is not much different from Singapore

Let's take a look:

Black coffee IDR 12,000 or our $1.20, have to say this is not a good comparison as its a very large cup. Coffee is great

Two eggs are IDR10,000 or $1

Chicken porridge with egg IDR25,000 or $2.50

U-char-kway IDR4,000 or 40 cents each this will be 80 cents

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Bogor is a city about 80km by road south of Jakarta. Known as City of Rain as it rains almost every day but its cool cos its in the mountain. Came here for work today.

Visited a restaurant before living for Jakarta - Bumi Aki

[video=youtube;fwKQoMypFQg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwKQoMypFQg[/video]

Decorated with umbrellas

Yes it rained after arrival

Ice lemon tea

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Coconut rice

Kangkong

Sup kambing (goat) must say this is very solid

Chicken satay

Ayam goreng, tempe and tahu goreng

Gurame bakar

Sup tongseng - cabbage coconut soup

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Dessert is pisang bakar (grilled banana)

with cheese and chocolate

with cheese only

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Went to a road side roti chanai stall last night for dinner.

Felt like having martabak so ordered a kambing martabak. It is nothing like our martabak. First the kambing was not in the roti instead it was in the curry, have to say the kambing is very nice cos they used goat as kambing instead of lamb or sheep here I think

Coming back to the martabak, its very thick with eggs and vegetables and some potatoes but instead of being wrapped by the roti the roti was fried and the eggs and veges poured on top. So its different but because they are very generous with the egg I have to say it tasted very nice.

The above costs $4.00 Ok another surprise here, I saw a bachang stall selling chee cheong fan so ordered a plate. Came without any chili nor sweet sauce instead its full of bawang goreng with sesame oil and some soya sauce like "oil and soya sauce" our version. Problem is its served cold. Nevertheless because I like bawang goreng I still find it nice. Costs $1.50

Last edited: