• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Come in and see all these Stand-Chart Marathon Sinkies cheaters!

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing wrong with taking a little advantage when no one is looking. I do that all the time. :smile:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Image00231.jpg

Ah Bui can run marathon? I would be surprised if she can complete the Big Walk.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Toot loon ah! Why pay money to run when you just need a good pair of shoes and just head over to Bedok Reservoir and run 10 rounds? :eek::eek::eek:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Monday, December 08, 2014

Cheaters ???? Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

Right firstly this post is going to be a bad bad post along the line of cyber bullying. So don't read on if you do not believe in cyber bullying because this is gonna be a name and shame post.

And secondly, maybe maybe after this post, I will really get kicked by some runners during my future photo assignments.

But heck, do I really care a damn? Of course not. So here goes......

Well I was at the Garden by the Bay East on Sunday taking photos of the runners doing the Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore. (SCMS). This was roughly at the 35 km part of the race. The first runners came by around 7 am roughly 2 hours after the flag off. Those were the elites. A rough back of the envelope calculation - the average 4 hours runners will reach this area around 8.20 am and indeed the 4 hours pacers came pass me at 8.19 am.

But way before that I had already noticed a very usual thing. As a regular runner and active photographer for the past years, I can recognise a fair number of the local runners who can do sub-4 and there aren't really a lot of them here in Singapore. And even if I don't recognise them, I can tell by the way they run that they are seasoned runners and used to that type of timing. But what was interesting this time was that I could see many unfamiliar faces and people who pardoned my saying so, do not look like runners who are capable of doing this type of timing. Now I know looks can be deceiving but it is kinda difficult to believe that these following people can run sub 4 marathon.

And more over as I came to find out later, runner with orange bib are self declared sub 5 hours runner and starts in a much later wave. So they couldn't have been so fast to reach 35 km in just over 3 hours!

And true enough, my instinct was right. A quick search at the event site and these are their race splits. Looks like all of them skipped the distance between the 10 km checkpoint and the 30 km checkpoint slashing a cool 20 km off the total distance.

And everyone seems to be doing it. Not just the not so athletic looking people but the young folks like this guy

And foreigners as well

And even the very athletic looking guys are doing it. The type that looks perfectly capable of doing this sort of timing but look at the splits
And there are more, too many for me to list them all here.

Looking at the splits, almost all of them turn off after the 10 km checkpoint which is somewhere around the Sports Hub. I believe after coming out from that area, instead of going towards Fort Road and East Coast Park, they simply turned right on Tanjong Rhu to Garden by the Bay East and continue on from there. I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt that they got lost but I really really doubt it is the case.

And again I like to think that the weather was too hot for them and they decided not to continue on but turned back. But they should then do the right thing and not cross the finish line but in all cases they did which leaves me with only one conclusion - they just want the finisher tee, medal and the bragging rights that come along with it and are not interested at all in completing the distance!

Me think it is high time race organiser takes steps to weed out these sort of behaviour. It is not good for a "gold class" event and a waste of resources and hinder the genuine runners. For starter, I think event organiser should stop giving away finisher tees at the finish line like what many overseas races do. I am very sure that the event won't be so attractive to the non-runners if there is no finisher tee for them to wear around town to show off. Race organiser should also ensure strict compliance of race rules and barriers and marshals should be deployed at vulnerable junctions and points along the routes to reduce such cases of cheating. And last but not least, get the timing system working properly so that their status is stated as DSQ and not "Finished".

And for the many who did take the short cut, I hope you asked yourself is it worth it? To lose your integrity and reputation for a lie that can be found out so easily?

You might also like:

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal

Politicians are the BIGGEST cheats in town:...
'Without some assurance of a good chance of winning at least their first election, many able and successful young Singaporeans may not risk their careers to join politics,' Mr Goh Chok Tong, June 2006 ['GRCs make it easier to find top talent: SM'].
Intoparliamentjpg.jpg
[Pict= [URL=http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2012/04/disassembling-grc-benefits-pap-1/]Disassembling GRC system benefits PAP (Part 1 of 3)[/URL]]

ckBPMug.jpg
(Pict source)(alt source)

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothing wrong with taking a little advantage when no one is looking. I do that all the time. :smile:

Not a matter of right or wrong. But what do you get out of lopping off 20 km, running a 22.195 km race, and lying to yourself you completed a 42.195 km race??

Beats me. If you need to cheat to brag to yourself (and your friends), then you need to seriously get your head examined.

lorrydriver

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not a matter of right or wrong. But what do you get out of lopping off 20 km, running a 22.195 km race, and lying to yourself you completed a 42.195 km race??

Beats me. If you need to cheat to brag to yourself (and your friends), then you need to seriously get your head examined.

cheapo sinkies just wanted to get the free finisher's t-shirt....they are not concerned with the timing....in this case, they just got caught and SHAMED......GOLD class event indeed....

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

There is no need to brag. When i wear the Finisher Tee at the kopitiam or flash my Bimmer keys on the dining table, it should be plain to see i am a winner in life. Oh those passing glances, so full of envy. It pleases me so!

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
cheapo sinkies just wanted to get the free finisher's t-shirt....they are not concerned with the timing....in this case, they just got caught and SHAMED......GOLD class event indeed....

And what does the free finisher's T-shirt do? Can it provide you with a meal? Enhance your body shape? Win you girls?

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When i wear the Finisher Tee at the kopitiam or flash my Bimmer keys on the dining table, it should be plain to see i am a winner in life. Oh those eyes, so full of envy. It pleases me so!

Winner in life just because you ostensibly ran 42.195 km (of course, in your heart of hearts you know you only did 22.195 km)? If only living were that easy.

Get a life first.

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no need to brag. When i wear the Finisher Tee at the kopitiam or flash my Bimmer keys on the dining table, it should be plain to see i am a winner in life. Oh those passing glances, so full of envy. It pleases me so!

Don't forget to wear the medal too...as many as possible... Oh yes, like a cow bell: ding dong sound as one moves around kopi tiam...

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Honestly, those who ran like 22km of the marathon are VERY GOOD already... I was at AHM recently (21km) ... In front of me was a guy with like 4 spare number tags in addition to the one he wore... It means 2 things: probably NS men who pon event or ultimate cheapos who couldn't be bothered to turn up and run... Still want the tee...so there are greater criminals out there... Just so U all know...

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Winner in life just because you ostensibly ran 42.195 km (of course, in your heart of hearts you know you only did 22.195 km)? If only living were that easy.

Get a life first.

Oh but it IS that easy. See, people won't ask how this fatty finished 42 klicks, they are much too polite for that. Same thing for the Bimmer. Does it matter if i earned that? I have it. It is mine. That's what matters.

And that is why the young ones are so awe struck when people say i am from the PMO. Don't have to tell them myself. It is akin to mere mortals in the presence of a demigod.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Toot loon ah! Why pay money to run when you just need a good pair of shoes and just head over to Bedok Reservoir and run 10 rounds? :eek::eek::eek:

Well, you do get a marathon shirt by registering, maybe some gifts and vouchers too. And some people like to take photos of themselves after running the marathon, to show their Facebook friends how awesome they are. :wink:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some people consider running a full marathon as one of their must-do things in life... of equal importance to say, buying a car, getting married, visiting a certain country, climbing Everest. The 'bucket list' of things to do in life.

There are even others who are so siao on about marathons, they travel all over the world to run in various marathons e.g. Boston.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bragging rights are for those who beat the runners from Kenya or Ethiopia to the finishing line. :biggrin:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Those marathon cheaters are probably pap supporters....
Learn to cheat from their white masters.
Sinkies becoming like Prc chinks.....cheat all the way in everything and anything