• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Does the minimum $1.00 million ringgit purchase by foreigners apply to resale units?

JohorRookie

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was at City Square yesterday and a salesman pushed a brochure for the development known as "D-Tasek", going for RM500,000. I told him I couldn't buy because of the $1.00 million minimum purchase requirement imposed in May 2015. However, the salesman told me the development was registered before the RM$1.00 million minimum purchase took effect, and I could still purchase the unit for RM500,000.

I was in a rush and forgot to ask him. Does this mean that I can still buy a resale property in Johor for the minimum of RM500,000 instead ?

Would be pleased if one of you could clarify. The Johor thread is so long and I have no idea where to search for the information I wanted. I'm sorry if this issue has been raised before.

Thank you.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Does the minimum $1.00 million ringgit purchase by foreigners apply to resale uni

I was at City Square yesterday and a salesman pushed a brochure for the development known as "D-Tasek", going for RM500,000. I told him I couldn't buy because of the $1.00 million minimum purchase requirement imposed in May 2015. However, the salesman told me the development was registered before the RM$1.00 million minimum purchase took effect, and I could still purchase the unit for RM500,000.

I was in a rush and forgot to ask him. Does this mean that I can still buy a resale property in Johor for the minimum of RM500,000 instead ?

Would be pleased if one of you could clarify. The Johor thread is so long and I have no idea where to search for the information I wanted. I'm sorry if this issue has been raised before.

Thank you.

Likely to be correct. As long as the developer applies for the $1 mil RM waiver if I recall correctly. Type A with balcony and facing golf course should be better choice. Plot area seems a bit small though.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Does the minimum $1.00 million ringgit purchase by foreigners apply to resale uni

Good question. I also interested in the answer.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thank you.

I think the overall situation is still hazy. From what I gathered/guess, for HIGH RISE and NEW LAUNCH projects with planning approval obtained before 1 May 2014, they are exempted from RM 1m threshold, but still subject to RM 500k. Resale of these projects are also exempted from RM 1m threshold but still subject to RM500K. Developer will need to obtain an exemption letter from the State Govt to qualify for the exemption. For old/previous projects with no such planning approval exemption letter (eg condo bought in 2000), these are not exempted from RM 1m.

The above does not apply to new landed but only for high rise (purely my guess only).

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think the overall situation is still hazy. From what I gathered/guess, for HIGH RISE and NEW LAUNCH projects with planning approval obtained before 1 May 2014, they are exempted from RM 1m threshold, but still subject to RM 500k. Resale of these projects are also exempted from RM 1m threshold but still subject to RM500K. Developer will need to obtain an exemption letter from the State Govt to qualify for the exemption. For old/previous projects with no such planning approval exemption letter (eg condo bought in 2000), these are not exempted from RM 1m.

The above does not apply to new landed but only for high rise (purely my guess only).

I assume resale means subsale. My guess is that it is only allowed as long as strata titled not issued yet (it is a loophole), and for those with the planning approval exemption as you mentioned. Once the strata title issued, one can no longer subsale at below 1M threshold to foreigner.

OracleMasia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thank you.
It does not apply to resale. If you buy from this developer and wish to sell below $1 mil to a foreigner, it is not possible. You can only sell to a Malaysian if the resale value is less than $1mil

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal

It does not apply to resale. If you buy from this developer and wish to sell below $1 mil to a foreigner, it is not possible. You can only sell to a Malaysian if the resale value is less than $1mil

BUT! if the strata title not issued yet, tehcnically the subsale buyer is still buying direct from developer. yes? no? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

JohorRookie

Alfrescian
Loyal

Many thanks for the clarification, Bro.

I'm looking at it from the point of view of a buyer, so it's resale in the old market that I'm particularly concerned, not buying from developer to sub-sell. That is to say, I can still have a go at the resale detached houses for prices between RM500K and above.

But does that mean even if I was to buy a resale house for, say, RM500K, I could only sell it to a Malaysian ?