• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

According to this MP, $500 is enough for a Sinkie to survive and pay medical fees

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
Living in a rental flat with her brother, Ms Tan Lay Huan, 53 years old and divorced, cannot stand or walk for extended periods of time due to her medical condition, and has to rely on the walking cane she carries wherever she goes.

Her neighbours also said that Ms Tan might have mental issues, which is confirmed by her medical documents which states that she suffered from depression and other mental conditions. She shared that she had attempted suicide before in 2010, as a result of her depression, when she was bedridden from a broken pelvic bone.

Due to her many medical conditions, Ms Tan requires frequent medical treatment and prescribed medication. Her frequent tips to the polyclinics resulted in bills ranging from $16 to $60, with the occasional trips to hospitals for more severe conditions costing even more.

As a result of her many treatments, Ms Tan faces financial difficulties with paying her medical expenses. Recently, she tried to seek help from her Member of Parliament (MP) to obtain medical assistance and support from ComCare.

However, her application for ComCare was rejected by her MP, Dr Lily Neo, who allegedly told her that the S$500 she gets from her alimony fees should be enough for her to survive. Instead, Dr Neo suggested that she apply for the Community Health Assist Scheme (CHAS). She was eventually given the CHAS certification card.

This was not the only time that she was refused ComCare help. In 2010, she took her doctor’s letter to Toa Payoh Community Development Council (CDC) to prove that she can no longer work, but was instead told that she is not eligible for ComCare due to her alimony fees. The CDC staff also told her that the S$500 she received is sufficient for her livelihood.

When Ms Tan pointed out that one of her friends with a similar case, but has a daughter, was still given ComCare, the CDC staff could not give her an explanation on the difference in treatment.

Moreover, Ms Tan’s alimony fees was not as clear cut. She was married in 1989 and divorced in 1995, and was awarded a sum of S$500 as alimony fees by the court. From the S$500, Ms Tan has to pay for her medicine, rental, utilities and living expenses.

However, Ms Tan said that the alimony fees are not paid every month and there was even a period of three years where she ex-husband did not pay her at all. In that period, she had to live off her wages of S$450 from her work as a manufacturing operator.

Ms Tan also said that CHAS did not help, as it works on the basis on subsidises, which is of no use since she does not even have the the money to pay for the subsidised amount. To her, the CHAS card was as good as worthless.

“When I was sent to hospital once at midnight because of my medical condition, I had to pay for the ambulance,” she recounted. “I had to walk all the way back to my home because I had no money to pay for the taxi trip.”

She was crying as she related this, trying to control her emotions to avoid looks from residents walking along the void deck.

Her problems were compounded by other issues. She recently lost her National Registration Identity Card (NRIC), and while the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority had asked her to pay a reduced fee for the replacement (the original cost was S$300), it was still an amount she could not afford.

As a result, she has yet to collect her NRIC from ICA and is currently moving around without it.

To make matters worse, Ms Tan is not on good terms with her brother. Neighbours TOC spoke to said they often quarrel fiercely, which sometimes brought the police to their flat. Ms Tan’s flat is clustered with things, effectively separating it into two sections, with brother and sister sleeping on either side of the partition.

Ms Tan is hopeful that things will turn for the better, as she plans to move into another rental flat with a new room-mate. Nevertheless, life at the moment is hardly bearable. “Some days I just lie on my bed, and it is just too painful to get up.”

“Due to high cost of living create by our government, many people fall into poverty,” said the volunteer who alerted TOC about Ms Tan’s case. “But they project a very nice picture that the government is caring for the needy.”

“We have heard how our government spends millions to help this group of people. But in reality, this group of people are being discriminated by stringent criteria. This results in a substantial amount of such funding not used by the CDC.”

TOC sent a letter to Dr Neo and the Central CDC about Ms Tan’s situation. Dr Neo replied that she has offered to help Ms Tan through CHAS and that the grassroot leaders have been extending help to her. Dr Neo neither acknowledged nor denied the claim that she said S$500 was enough for Ms Tan to survive.

The CDC has responded to TOC indicating that they are not in charge of cases like Ms Tan. they have also directed Ms Tan to the social welfare department.

Ms Tan was only contacted a few days earlier, requesting her to visit the CDC in Chinatown to collect a letter, the matter of concern which we are not privy to.

http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/201...d-pay-for-medical-fees-in-singapore/#comments

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You die is your biz.

Oh, and don't forget to show gratitude for the PIONEER PACKAGE by voting for the PAP, okay?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some forummers claim that this Lily Neo was the gentler side of th PAP:eek:

She might be easier on the eye compared to LKY but she is just as money faced as the rest of the PAP. The PAP is just a family business, so don't expect any charity from them.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If a heart bypass surgery and hospitalization cost $8, of course $500 is enough. $500 is enough to perform 62.5 times of bypass :eek:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
It's not the PAP's fault she made poor choices in life. She has to live with her decisions.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's not the PAP's fault she made poor choices in life. She has to live with her decisions.

yeah too bad she didnt have a son like chan chun seng,a true rags to riches story that could rise quickly thru the ranks of bureaucracy that could remember the days of
poverty and come and bless her with untold wealth and riches.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
“Due to high cost of living create by our government, many people fall into poverty,” said the volunteer who alerted TOC about Ms Tan’s case. “But they project a very nice picture that the government is caring for the needy.”

“We have heard how our government spends millions to help this group of people. But in reality, this group of people are being discriminated by stringent criteria. This results in a substantial amount of such funding not used by the CDC.”

TOC sent a letter to Dr Neo and the Central CDC about Ms Tan’s situation. Dr Neo replied that she has offered to help Ms Tan through CHAS and that the grassroot leaders have been extending help to her. Dr Neo neither acknowledged nor denied the claim that she said S$500 was enough for Ms Tan to survive.

No sinkie would be marginalised, and this is what LHL had said. If this case is not one where a sinkie is marginalised, what is it?

The cocky MP Neo refused to help as she considered $500 is good enough for the sinkie land to survive in a month. Those receiving alimony know that it is sometimes paid and sometimes it is not and that is when you have to go to court to enforce it. It is a hassle for a woman with medical condition.

This useless MP Neo should be better off taking high tea like a tai tai rather than trying to project an image of caring for poor sinkies.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP magic is a kind of magic - earn $1k can setup family and buy hdb flat also lol

MIW live in ivory towers and do not know how poor sinkies are suffering to survive. This woman has a medical condition and deserves help in whatever form and manner from the Govt to live her life decently. When the MP refuses to help, she is a goner.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
MIW live in ivory towers and do not know how poor sinkies are suffering to survive. This woman has a medical condition and deserves help in whatever form and manner from the Govt to live her life decently. When the MP refuses to help, she is a goner.

Why does it always have to be "the government". Why can't family, friends and fellow Singaporeans offer some assistance.

Mankind has survived for hundreds of thousands of years because communities helped each other. The welfare state is less than 100 years old.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why does it always have to be "the government". Why can't family, friends and fellow Singaporeans offer some assistance.

Mankind has survived for hundreds of thousands of years because communities helped each other. The welfare state is less than 100 years old.

the kampong days are over....unless u suggest that each individual grc break away from the central government and form their own state.

u want to go back to communal living?this society promotes nuclear families and individual units,everyone wants to own their own house,own their own cars and live their own lives.....how many wants to form large extended families/communities and share the same resources,the same housing and the same amenities?

let me ask u are the rich sinkies living in landed property and driving bmws and mercs willing to share their

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
the kampong days are over....unless u suggest that each individual grc break away from the central government and form their own state.

That wouldn't make any difference because forming a state simply means handing social and financial issues over to a bureaucracy under a different banner.

My neighbor is 90 years old and she needs to see the doctor once a week. Since she can no longer drive and taxis are expensive, I drive her there and back. There's no need to set up a taxpayer funded transport service to do a simple job like that. It's called "helping each other".

In return she gives me a constant supply of rhubarb jam which she does very well.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it would mean a world of difference......because now u have a choice to choose a community u belong to,u now belong to a "clan" or "family" or " enclave",u now feel a obligation and commitment to this small group of people,to watch out for each other,to help each other out financially,socially and emotionally and help raise each others children,thereby ensuring the continued happiness and survival of ur "family"....just like how indians form enclaves.....better than waiting for waiting for outsiders or strangers to help u.there is pros and cons of course......when u throw ur lot in with others it means u now have a deep sense of responsibility.....u have to learn to live in groups......some people may progress faster than others so u have to watch out for those who are struggling.many conflicts can arise......i have studied the way of indian communal families.

this is how human beings lived in the past,thru communal cooperation.city living has destroyed all of that,now families are increasingly isolated from relatives......neighbours are becoming strangers.

That wouldn't make any difference because forming a state simply means handing social and financial issues over to a bureaucracy under a different banner.

My neighbor is 90 years old and she needs to see the doctor once a week. Since she can no longer drive and taxis are expensive, I drive her there and back. There's no need to set up a taxpayer funded transport service to do a simple job like that. It's called "helping each other".

In return she gives me a constant supply of rhubarb jam which she does very well.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

ur just doing someone a favour jesus h christ u talk like ur saving someone from poverty,giving the homeless shelter,running a soup kitchen,giving them money to pay the bills and utilities....there are people out there who need real help not a fucking drive to the hospital.if ur 90 year old neighbour need 300 bucks to make it thru this month would u lend her the money?she got some good rhubarb jam.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
ur just doing someone a favour jesus h christ u talk like ur saving someone from poverty,giving the homeless shelter,running a soup kitchen,giving them money to pay the bills and utilities....there are people out there who need real help not a fucking drive to the hospital.

I do that too. I have a good friend who has Parkinson's disease. I pay all his IT related bills because state funded assistance is not sufficient.

If those of us who have the means help just ONE person whom you know deserves assistance, the problem is solved.