• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dr M: Stop banks from making money out of thin air

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dr M: Stop banks from making money out of thin air
By CHOI TUCK WO

LONDON: Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has called for a ban on the manipulation of “money to make money” to help resolve the global financial crisis.
The former Prime Minister said the main problem was that banks were empowered to create money out of thin air and lend money which they did not have.
He suggested that everyone should go back to producing goods and services although the profits would not be that massive.
“But the wealth from these activities will be real and the economy will be more sound
,” he said in his talk at the “Leadership in Times of Crisis” seminar at the British Institute of Technology and E-Commerce here on Friday.
Dr Mahathir also expressed doubts of a recovery despite the US government talking of a trillion-dollar plan to save the economy.
Exchanging views: Dr Mahathir chatting with the participants after delivering his speech at the British Institute of Technology and E-Commerce in London on Friday.
He said there would come a time when the government would have to admit that the whole system had failed.
What was needed, he said, was a total write-off of the monies lost and the need to reduce the lavish lifestyles and per capita income in rich countries.
“The rich will have to sell their yachts and private planes as well as their holiday and palatial homes while the poor will become poorer,” he said.
If there is to be recovery, the world must accept that everyone – the rich and the poor – must take part in formulating a change in the system, he added.
Dr Mahathir said the most important reform was to ensure that money was created by governments and not by banks.
“Governments need to come back and supervise the banks. If the executives go beyond something, they’ll be punished,” he said.
He described as ridiculous the present system where executives were paid bonuses if they could show figures to their directors even if the banks lose money.
Describing the scenario as frightening, he said: “We have no control over money and we don’t know how much of it is in circulation.”
Dr Mahathir said when Malaysia was hit by currency speculators in 1997-1998, it was told that the trade in currencies was 20 times bigger than the total world trade.
“That’s a huge sum of money. But where does it come from?” he said, adding it was important to get rid of those who were playing tricks.
He also said government bailouts, which were effectively nationalisation, would not enable businesses to recover when the economy was in recession.
“We see governments furiously bailing out financial institutions and businesses but we have yet to see any results,” he added.
He also said the formulation of any new system must involve both the rich and poor countries as well as elements of Islamic banking principles

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/2/22/nation/3322147&sec=nation

Many of us ,esp the non Malays.(including myself) may not agree with many of the things Dr M has said or done, but its undeniable that he is a very down to earth straight talking guy with a very good grasp of the fundamentals of politics and the running an Asian economy.
This time he has hit the nail on the head by saying that banks have been making money out of thin air -and for too long I must add.

Many has now come to their senses and this does not bode well for all our public monies invested in Citi, UBS, Merrill, and who knows where.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dr Mahathir is not saying anything new or different about this financial crisis

Maybe he's now put it in a way where the layperson can understand

UseYourBrain

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was also reported that non of the islamic banks were hit by this financial crisis because fundamentally islam forbids speculation, like futures trading . Options etc. Secular banks rammed anything as long as it benefits the banks bnd bankers

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So far so good for Islamic banking. There are few laws in Islamic banking that is like not betting in future trading just as same as no gambling in Islam.
This time or for the 1st time I will have to agree with the Dr. Mathathir.

hemunkeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysia Boleh, Mathathir Boleh
He is right for once ! I wish he would add further :
It is ridiculous to pay high salaries and big bonuses to executives for loss making sovereign wealth funds

Hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysia Boleh, Mathathir Boleh
He is right for once ! I wish he would add further :
It is ridiculous to pay high salaries and big bonuses to executives for loss making sovereign wealth funds
Dr Mad does not believe in giving big pay but he believes in letting his ministers becoming billionaires,that is the difference.

How did the murderer got paid $500 million to manager maintenance contracts purchased by Malaysian Navy.

Its truly a waste of time to even bother to listen to what he copied fr the world newspapers and then put them into Malaysian English

Tiu Kwang Yew

Alfrescian
Loyal
i agree with him that real growth is more sustainable.

make money from thin air is gambling, gambling is a cause of misery.

you see why singapore dares to blow millions on people who helm the bridge.

fairy tale economy will go away, fishermen in the fishing village will no starve even there is a deep depression.

Many of us ,esp the non Malays.(including myself) may not agree with many of the things Dr M has said or done, but its undeniable that he is a very down to earth straight talking guy with a very good grasp of the fundamentals of politics and the running an Asian economy.
This time he has hit the nail on the head by saying that banks have been making money out of thin air -and for too long I must add.

Many has now come to their senses and this does not bode well for all our public monies invested in Citi, UBS, Merrill, and who knows where.