• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Public Transport Fare hikes in October

netuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Guys!

Guess you guys know about the latest news about with regards to fare hike that will be effected in October. Haiz, as a public commuter myself, I am beginning to feel the pinch yet again coz I do not come from a "rich" background.

What's your take on this issue? Should fare hikes be made so soon?

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whatever will be will be, the future's not ours to see...oh screw up, screw up...what will be will be...

gimidy17

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem with us is that most of our public transport operators are being run as a profit center, hence they only care about making enough profit. What a realistic world.:o

Only if our good old garment willing to help the pitiful us, it will continue to go up.:(

KenC

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah right, and they blame it on "external" factors (ie, increasing oil prices etc)

But remember the gahmen have a clear mandate from us pheasant the last election. Now, where can we ask help from?

justhorny

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dun mind paying more if the service gets better. Just look at the crowd nowsaday on MRT station. I think they had reduced the frequency of the trains (contrary to what they said publicly).

Bus services are already well known to be inefficient :(

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
PTC says public transport fare hikes likely to be under 1.8%
By Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 14 July 2008 1904 hrs

SINGAPORE: Singapore's Public Transport Council said commuters here are likely to face fare hikes of under 1.8 per cent.

Chairman Gerard Ee gave this assurance as bus and train commuters brace themselves for an impending fare hike to be announced in two months.

He said: "I think commuters will experience a spectrum of net fare adjustments. If we work carefully, I expect the increases to be below last year's increase of 1.8 per cent, and there's a possibility we can keep it within one per cent."

Mr Ee said the majority of commuters will benefit from the adjustment.

While commuters welcomed this move, they did so with some amount of resignation.

A student said: "I have no choice, but it would be better if they keep it around this price or lower it."

"I would still take public transport because I don't have a driving licence, so I have no choice. I have to bear with it," said one woman.

Public transport operators are expected to submit their applications for a fare review in August.

The council will decide on the actual adjustment in September, and the new fares will start in October. - CNA/vm

What benefits is he talking about?? :confused:

jedilord

i think the hike is inevitable given the rise in fuel prices. although it is known as public transport, not only s'poreans take the bus/train. foreigners, tourists also take them. so should the government (eventually taxpayers) subsidise them as well?

david

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_257696.html

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class="padlrt8 blue verdana10" vAlign=center>July 15, 2008</TD><TD class="padlrt8 blue verdana10" vAlign=center align=right>
storyTools.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=padlrt8 colSpan=2><!-- headline one : start -->Just one cent - that's the likely average fare hike <!-- headline one : end -->
</TD></TR><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 bold" colSpan=2>Transport Council chief gives assurance that increase will be kept well below 3% cap</TD></TR><!-- Author --><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Christopher Tan, Senior Correspondent
</TD></TR><TR><TD class="georgia11 padcell8" colSpan=2><!-- more than 7 paragraphs --><TABLE class=padl8 width=154 align=right border=0 valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD><!-- AdSpace STI Free Article Tag --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="http://ads.asia1.com.sg/js.ng/site=tsti&sec=STI_Free&mcat1=lnews&cat2=STI_Free_art&size=300X250"> </SCRIPT><!-- Sniffer Code for Flash version=40 --><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next ShockMode = ( IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4")))if ( ShockMode <= 0 ) then ShockMode = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5")))if ( ShockMode <= 0 ) then ShockMode = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6")))</SCRIPT><NOEMBED></NOEMBED><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- /AdSpace STI Free Article Tag -->
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- story content : start -->BUS and train fares may rise by no more than 1 per cent even though this year's fare adjustment formula allows for a jump of up to 3 per cent.

That means fares on average could rise by one cent, the lowest in memory.

If fares had been allowed to go up by 3 per cent, the increase could have been between four and five cents.
Public Transport Council (PTC) chairman Gerard Ee said: 'The PTC would like to give the assurance that it will not turn a blind eye to a range of cost increases commuters have been facing.'

He added that the PTC was persuading public transport operators to shoulder part of the costs of removing the transfer penalty.

This 'penalty' is the extra amount paid by a commuter who transfers from bus to bus, bus to train or train to bus, compared to someone taking a direct service over the same distance.
<!-- show media links starting at 7th para -->
Four in 10 commuters now make transfers, each of which adds around 35 cents to the cost.
Mr Ee, calling this year a 'challenge' for the PTC, said that if it worked 'carefully', fare increases could be expected 'to be below last year's cap of 1.8 per cent'.
Last year's fare increase cap pushed bus fares up by two cents.

'And there's a possibility that we can keep it within 1 per cent,' he said.

He added that some commuters could even end up paying less for their overall transport expenses.

Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of the Intelligent Transport Systems Asia-Pacific Forum & Exhibition at Suntec City, Mr Ee said: 'Our aim is to make sure that the greater majority of commuters will gain from the adjustment.'
Transport operators in turn will enjoy an increase in ridership as public transport becomes more attractive, so 'they should have something to be happy about too', he said.

Even so, he reckoned that 'commuters will love us, and the
public transport operators will throw sticks at us'.
Mr Seah Kian Peng, who sits on the Government Parliamentary Committee for Transport, welcomed the news.

'Given the current environment, the lower the increase, the better. For the commuting public, the sums do add up because for them, what choice do they have?
'Whatever the quantum of increase, public transport operators must ensure that this translates to a better travel experience for commuters. If not, whether it is 1 or 3 per cent, commuters would be far from satisfied.'
National University of Singapore transport researcher Lee Der-Horng said raising the fares by the maximum allowable 3 per cent would send out a 'contradicting message, which is 'Please use public transport, but we'd like you to pay more''.

At the event, Transport Minister Raymond Lim defended the move to put up new electronic road-pricing gantries along the Singapore River.

Responding to feedback that they were hitting businesses, he said: 'The alternative of not doing this will actually be worse...If it's congested, people won't come into that area. The alternative does not make it any better.' The three-day regional forum is hosted by Singapore, which is hoping to host the international equivalent scheduled for 2013. [email protected]
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Boss_555

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bus increase, taxi increase, erp increase, patrol increase, everything increase but salary no increase!!! :(

KHS05

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bus increase, taxi increase, erp increase, patrol increase, everything increase but salary no increase!!! :(

Because someone very smart says salary increase causes more inflation. Unfortunately he forgot to say other increases also causes inflation.

So, here we are, all increase except salary.

xtrocious

Alfrescian
Loyal
Because someone very smart says salary increase causes more inflation. Unfortunately he forgot to say other increases also causes inflation.

So, here we are, all increase except salary.

But of course - all these increases hurt only us (the poor peasants) unlike salary increases which would scare away foreign investors...

netuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think the hike is inevitable given the rise in fuel prices. although it is known as public transport, not only s'poreans take the bus/train. foreigners, tourists also take them. so should the government (eventually taxpayers) subsidise them as well?

Hi brudder! Thanks for your comments!

However, IMHO, since EZ link is tagged to your I/C No., rebates should not be that difficult if it was decided.:smile: Or am I wrong? Please let me know.