• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ah tiongs beaten at their own game in the European Mahjong Championship

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
China crushed in European Mahjong Championship

(ECNS)
Updated: 2014-07-18 09:05

China failed to achieve ideal results at the fifth Open Mahjong Championship in Strasbourg, France, the West China Metropolis Daily reports.

A total of 10 Chinese players took part in the contest. Yan Wenying claimed the 30th position, the highest ranking among Chinese. His team Guohua ranked 37th in team competition.

The individual title was claimed by a Japanese competitor, and the runner-up was a man from Germany. Japan also won the other top three positions, while the team title was snatched by JMF, consisting of three Japanese and a French player.

The news has been a hot topic on Sina Weibo, a Chinese equivalent of Twitter. Most netizens couldn't accept the results, saying the competitors didn't represent the real level of a common Chinese person's ability to play Mahjong.

One netizen said his shock at the news was no less than the Brazilians when they lost 1-7 to Germany at the semi-final of the World Cup. Another said the best Mahjong players are among the common people, and they didn't even know about such a competition.

Mahjong originated in China and is a favorite pastime among Chinese people all over the world.

The Open European Mahjong Championship is the oldest Mahjong competition organized by the European Mahjong Association.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just sharing my experience here... I am considered a beginner/mediocre MJ player in singapore.. but the 2 times I played MJ in shanghai I actually won. I found their rules there simpler than ours and the standard/skill of the players is lower. I've been telling the mainlanders singapore/Msia rule MJ is the most fun, HK rule is the most stressful and Taiwanese rule is the most confusing :*:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Japanese mahjong is more fun. RIIIICHI! :biggrin:

And there are Japanese mahjong queens.

101530-mahjong_queen,_japan.jp

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Imho Hk got the best MJ players....
Sorry I dun see hongkies as tiongs

Hong Kong rule mahjong encourages conservative play. The player who throws out the winning tile for another player to Hu will have to pay for all 3 sides. That's why HK mahjong players have to be very good at defending.

I prefer the Sinkie/Msia rule mahjong where the player has more space to 做大. Our rules encourage more balanced play where you defend as much as attack.